The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Rebecca Moss Robusto Pen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kenny

kenny

All Hail Caffeine!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 16:24

I would like to review my experience with a Rebecca Moss Robusto pen.

I didn't know anything about this pen or company. The site (www.rebeccamoss.com) claims that the owner and designer, Sam Zagoory, is "ranked number one in the pen industry." I had no knowledge of this claim before I bought the pen, and have no way assessing its truth. Outside of the website, I have never heard of this guy.

The store in which I bought the pen was discontinuing this company's products. The pen lists at $175 on the web site. I bought it for $95. It was an impulse purchase.

First Impressions: It is an attractive pen, and that is why I bought it. I knew nothing about the pen, the company, its reputation or anything about its writing ability. Basically, I was trying out something new. The pen came in an uninspired box with no accompanying literature.

Appearance: The pen I bought is a tortoise-shell pattern design with "pink gold" accents. It has a modern, sleek, contemporary look, yet is fairly conventional in its appearance. It won't stand out like a bizarre Krone will. Being a conventional guy, I rate its appearance 16/20.

Design: It has a nib that wraps around the sides a bit, which gives it a unique appearance; however, I'm not sure how that affects its functionality, if it does at all. It's a heavy pen when capped. A lot of that weight is in the cap, so I don't feel that it is excessively heavy when writing uncapped, and is comfortable in my hand. I have a preference for heavier pens, though. The clip is spring loaded to give a firm hold in your shirt pocket. I like that feature, and I suspect that is what adds weight to the cap.
However, I suspect the matierals are not first quality. I dropped the pen and the metal on the cap chipped/flaked badly. Furthermore, after only a few uses, the nib detached from the collecting system! It doesn't seem to have broken off, but just whatever glue or adhesive they used to secure the nib just isn't very secure!
3/20

Nib design/performance: The nib is moderately toothy. It's a little springier than many modern nibs, but despite that, I don't seem to get a lot of line variation when writing. The quality of adhesive matierials are addressed above. Unfortunately, since it came apart before I had it very long, I am unable to comment upon its perforance when left used for a while. I hadn't noticed a lot of skipping in my short use.
7/20

Filling system: It has a converter/cartridge system and uses Waterman-type cartridges. I've been using Waterman Black ink and have experienced no leakage. The capacity of the converter is average to large for a modern converter. 16/20

Cost/Value: It's a moderately pricey pen. I got it for less than its list value. At its list value, I certainly think that the materials, performance and support do not justify its price. I tried to contact the company to see about repair of my cap and nib. The contact links on their webpage are nonfunctional as of this writing. I called the number listed. They will not/cannot repair the cap (even at a charge, which I would expect to pay since I dropped it), nor will they sell me a replacement cap. They have agreed to repair the nib, however. For this price, I would expect a pen nib not to come apart when I use it. This suggests to me that they are using inferior materials/workmanship.
6/20

Overall opinion/conclusion: I am unhappy with the purchase. It is an attractive pen, but with shoddy materials and support. As I peruse the Rebecca Moss Website, I am reminded of the feelings of MontBlanc detractors. Rebecca Moss seems to be trying to position themselves as a luxury brand, rather than true fountain pen craftsmen. Although I personally like (and own) MB pens, detractors feel that MB has lost their way in recent times (I do not agree, but I see their points). However, even the MB detractors admit that MB made quality pens in their heyday. In contrast, Rebecca Moss seems to be trying to propel themselves into a luxury brand without ever proving themselves by making quality writing instruments in the first place. Based on my personal experience, it is all hype and marketing without even having a HISTORY of quality.

Would I buy a Rebecca Moss pen again? Absolutely not.

Overall score: 48/100

(image below from the Rebecca Moss site)

Posted Image

(post modified to correct the total)

Edited by kenny, 27 August 2006 - 18:58.

Sponsored Content

#2 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2006 - 18:44

Well, for a fountain pen with the model name Robusto, it seems the pen you bought was anything *but* robust <_<
Sorry to read about your bad experience. :(

If the company took as much care with their pen as they did their website, I don't think you would have had such a bad experience. :rolleyes:
I read the company info on the website, and immediately wondered if Sam Zagoory was related to NY designer Jac Zagoory....

Thanks for taking the time to review it, though, Kenny. It's as important (and as entertaining, I might add!) to read about the problem pens as the many well-crafted writing instruments out there.

Edited by Maja, 27 August 2006 - 18:45.

Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#3 amh210

amh210

Venerable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2006 - 18:54

For almost $100 bucks, I hope you can get a refund!
"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA
Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.
For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

#4 kenny

kenny

All Hail Caffeine!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 00:51

For almost $100 bucks, I hope you can get a refund!

Well, I'm sending it out for nib repair, but I haven't demanded a refund.

#5 CBreeze924

CBreeze924

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 18:11

Oh, how I wish I'd seen this review before my recent purchase. I'm hoping that since this thread is four years old the construction of this pen has improved. I just purchased it, also as an impulse buy considering I did zero research on the brand before getting it and I don't know much about fountain pens in general. It's a gift and disappointment number one was that there was no care or warranty information inside the box. Well, actually the box itself was disappointing, but the salesman was courteous and it was on "sale" for 50% off (Final Sale of $100). I just called the store from which I purchased it to inquire about possible repair in the future if need be and they assured me that I could bring it back to them and that Rebbecca Moss doesn't provide literature in any of the boxes.

Sponsored Content

|