Show us your dip pens!

bernardo

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii313/Ashish_031/Dip%20Pens/Picture4020.jpg

Wow. Those are some handsome holders. Where did you get them?

That was my question, too! Beautiful holders.

"I'm not superstitious -- I'm just a little stitious." Michael G. Scott

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bernardo

• jbb

• AAAndrew

• Rena

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a magnificent thread!! Humble fountain pens bow down to these regal elders of the pen world. :o

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Cankapopa/GumSandarac.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Cankapopa/OnlyOneCreations.jpg

Questions from relative newcomer to the world of fountain pens:

What is the appeal of dip pens (other than they are obviously great to look at and fun to collect)? What kind of writing do you use them for? Do you find them particularly useful for certain kinds of projects? Advantages and disadvantages of the dip: discuss.

Sara Z.

www.sarazarr.com

@sarazarr

I've gotta ask where you found this one. It's so beautiful notworthy1.gif

Tamara

What is the appeal of dip pens (other than they are obviously great to look at and fun to collect)? What kind of writing do you use them for? Do you find them particularly useful for certain kinds of projects? Advantages and disadvantages of the dip: discuss.

Some Advantages of Writing with a Dip Pen

2. They are really fun to write with.
  3. Dip pen nibs have greater flex than most fountain pen nibs so you can get great line variation.
  4. Your flourishes will look better.
  5. You can get a more 19th century handwriting.
  6. If you write with them a lot they become just as "normal" as any other writing implement.
  7. You have a great excuse to buy all sorts of cool old inkwells.
  8. You can use any ink as there is no internal mechanism to clog. (India ink, gold ink, etc.)

3. Dip pen nibs have greater flex than most fountain pen nibs so you can get great line variation.
  6. If you write with them a lot they become just as "normal" as any other writing implement.
  8. You can use any ink as there is no internal mechanism to clog. (India ink, gold ink, etc.)

Cool - thank you!

Sara Z.

www.sarazarr.com

@sarazarr

Tamara, I got that from pen maker Scott Meyer of Only One Creations. (I love your screen name :))

Oh no! Another pen site bookmarked. :blush:

Those are some pretty dip pens, Rena.

read, write, grade essays, repeat

I've gotta ask where you found this one. It's so beautiful notworthy1.gif

Tamara, I got that from pen maker Scott Meyer of Only One Creations. (I love your screen name smile.gif)

Now, I can stop looking at the cheapo plastic nib holders and buy one I really like :) Thanks for the link! And thanks for liking my screen name.

Tamara

I would add to this the great variety of dip nibs that can still be found, not just for writing/calligraphy, but also for drawing/sketching. Different line widths, amount of flex, shapes and sizes, brands and markings, etc.

Plus, dip pens are just as good for your health as Vitameatavegamin--you'll be among the happy, peppy people. :thumbup:

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/matthewsno/dippenwritiingsamples.jpg

You can do this with fountain pens too but flexible nibs on fountain pens are hard to find.

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

While I do sell dip pens I also use them.

Mostly for addressing the packages I send out.

We have ebonite feeds in them.

It allows for much longer writing between dips.

http://www.allwritenow.net/images/Acrylic_Dip_Pens%20001.jpg

http://www.allwritenow.net/images/AcrylicVarunaPens%20015.jpg

Steve

AWN%252520ADD.jpg

I wanted to make some comments last night but I didn't have a lot of time. All of these beautiful dip pens impressed me with their elegance and timelessness.

Bernardo, your image of the pure and simple "General's" pen holder with it's well-used nib, beside the squat bottle of Sheaffer ink, struck me as sweet. Here are these simple tools juxtaposed against a modern stereo speaker, and it just makes me smile to see what has endured through the ages.

Ashishwakhlu, what a treat to see your pens from India. All of them are most beautiful, from the plain to the ornate. I caught my breath when I first scrolled down to your images — I'd never seen dip pens quite like these. As 79spitfire said, I like seeing that they are used. Very, very nice!

ZebraPenguin, your humble bamboo holder is Zen-like. I like this very much. I'm curious where you found a pen like this.

ANM, I'm in awe. How I would love to dig through your treasure pile of pens and nibs and take a closer look. You have some incredible beauties as well as obvious workhorses. Awesome dip pens!

JBB, wow those first three are gorgeous!! That's an incredible photo too! And your dipless pens are not so fancy. yet they are every bit as breathtaking in their form and bright colors. I love your pens!

Shinma, don't you love it that in the 21st Century you can walk into a major bookseller and purchase a dip pen? :) Whenever I'm in Barnes and Noble, I find myself meandering over to the area where journals and bookends and dip pens are displayed. Yes, I did buy myself such a pen at one time too.

Steve, I didn't know you offered dip pens from your website. Those are very cool looking, I have to say! I've stored this information in my memory for future reference.

And thanks, Ailleurs! I don't use mine as much as some of the people here, but they are some of my most treasured writing tools.

Thanks everyone!

Wow Rena! That's a particularly beautiful dip pen holder. I've never seen one like that before.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Cankapopa/GumSandarac.jpg

Beautiful!

Is that drying powder?

Wonderful explanation. Thank you! :thumbup:

Bernardo, your image of the pure and simple "General's" pen holder with it's well-used nib, beside the squat bottle of Sheaffer ink, struck me as sweet. Here are these simple tools juxtaposed against a modern stereo speaker, and it just makes me smile to see what has endured through the ages.

That was the idea... ;)

Thank you

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/matthewsno/dippenwritiingsamples.jpg

You can do this with fountain pens too but flexible nibs on fountain pens are hard to find.

Great handwriting! :)