The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Show us your dip pens!

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 Bernardo

Bernardo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2010 - 00:55

Here's mine...

Sponsored Content

#2 seasterl

seasterl

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:19

Here's a stupid question, but are there dip pens that I can use with my Pelikan nibs? I've dipped some of my Pelikans just once and could write at least a couple of pages,...on one dip! For some speciality nibs (like a 3B CI) or something, I'd prefer to just dip the nib. If there's nothing out there, I'd be interested in a decent dip set with nice feeders. My old calligraphy set only works with cartridges, and I had filling a cartridge just for a little bit of writing. I'm excited to how this thread turns out!

#3 ashishwakhlu

ashishwakhlu

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:31

Here are some of mine,

regards

New ones
Posted Image

And old ones
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by ashishwakhlu, 04 April 2010 - 06:33.

#4 djpyle

djpyle

Writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:36

Posted Image

Wow. Those are some handsome holders. Where did you get them?

#5 Bernardo

Bernardo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,711 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2010 - 17:15

Here's a stupid question, but are there dip pens that I can use with my Pelikan nibs?

I really don't know, sorry...

#6 Bernardo

Bernardo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,711 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2010 - 17:17

Posted Image

Wow. Those are some handsome holders.

They are indeed... And they're of different kinds of wood too... :thumbup:

#7 ZebraPenguin

ZebraPenguin

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 19:47

I can't compete with that lovely set of turned wood holders! Here's my humble bamboo holder:

Posted Image
Smile, breathe, and go slowly | Radio Solitude

Posted Image

#8 seasterl

seasterl

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 20:00

Here's a stupid question, but are there dip pens that I can use with my Pelikan nibs?

I really don't know, sorry...

I guess I misunderstood what dip pens were all about. I thought that the nibs had feeders or something under them to hold more ink so that they didn't need to be dipped so often. I was thinking, also, that someone could purchase basic handles (or blanks) that accepted a standard FP nib (like from a Pelikan since they are easily removed) and allowed one to use it as a dipping pen for the times there is not enough writing to warrant inking up the entire pen. This way, a person could buy cheaper blanks and put the money in the nibs.

#9 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2010 - 20:11

I'm embarrassed by my dip pens now! I only have the old Speedball and hunt pens for Calligraphy and drawing!

Beautiful pens btw, nice collection of different makes, eras and styles. I also like that they have been used. Too often collections of tools "just sit" and gather dust.

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

#10 ANM

ANM

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,925 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 20:25

Posted Image

A by-product of collection pens for around 40 years is that you pick up stuff in auction lots that you don't really need. being a retired art teacher, I couldn't help but keep most of them anyway. :)
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

#11 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2010 - 20:31

Here are some of mine:
Posted Image

#12 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2010 - 20:42

Here's a stupid question, but are there dip pens that I can use with my Pelikan nibs? I've dipped some of my Pelikans just once and could write at least a couple of pages,...on one dip! For some speciality nibs (like a 3B CI) or something, I'd prefer to just dip the nib. If there's nothing out there, I'd be interested in a decent dip set with nice feeders. My old calligraphy set only works with cartridges, and I had filling a cartridge just for a little bit of writing. I'm excited to how this thread turns out!

If Pelikan nibs are attached to their feeds they won't fit in typical dip pen holders. Perhaps if you remove the ferrule of the dip pen holder it would work the way you want.

#13 ZeissIkon

ZeissIkon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,247 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 21:51

If Pelikan nibs are attached to their feeds they won't fit in typical dip pen holders. Perhaps if you remove the ferrule of the dip pen holder it would work the way you want.

If that's a Pelikan with the screw-out nib unit, it won't work with a standard pen holder, but it shouldn't be terribly difficult to get a holder made to fit it; all that's needed is a bore with the correct thread at the correct location inside, and a comfortable handle to hold it with. BTW, the reason that pen writes so long is because when you dip it, you're filling the feed fins with ink, rather than just taking up a film of ink on the nib; as a result, instead of a few words up to as much as a line, you can probably write a half page, give or take.

Esterbrook used to sell a pen system they called "Dip-Less" built around this principle: pens with a feed, but no reservoir, and a matching inkwell that carried ink in a bundle of plastic fibers, rather than just a pool of liquid, making it much less spill prone than what amounts to a bottle. You can probably find a Dip-Less pen and base set for less than the cost of having a custom holder made for your Pelikan nib -- in fact, you can probably also buy a new Renew Point nib unit for that Dip-Less pen and still be less than the cost of a custom holder, unless you have the tools to make the holder yourself. Any Renew Point nib unit will work with any Dip-Less pen and base, so you have a wider choice of nibs than Pelikan offers...
Does not always write loving messages.
Does not always foot up columns correctly.
Does not always sign big checks.

#14 Shinma

Shinma

Γνῶθι σεαυτóv

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 22:23

Here's a scan of mine; I purchased this one at my local Barnes n' Noble.

Edited to resize image.

Attached Images

• scan0013 (edit).jpg

Edited by Shinma, 04 April 2010 - 22:26.

-Daniel

"Τὰ πάντα ῥεῖ καὶ οὐδὲν μένει." ~Ἡράκλειτος

"No one should be embarrassed to make the inquiries necessary to learn." ~Anon

#15 Bernardo

Bernardo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,711 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2010 - 20:57

I can't compete with that lovely set of turned wood holders! Here's my humble bamboo holder:
Posted Image

Really nice! :thumbup:

#16 Bernardo

Bernardo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,711 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2010 - 20:58

Here are some of mine:
Posted Image

Wow! :puddle:

#17 Bernardo

Bernardo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,711 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2010 - 20:59

Posted Image
A by-product of collection pens for around 40 years is that you pick up stuff in auction lots that you don't really need. being a retired art teacher, I couldn't help but keep most of them anyway. :)

Amazing...

#18 professionaldilettante

professionaldilettante

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,947 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 21:16

Quick question, are there any tipped dip pens? or are all of them just steel tipped?
The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.
Blaise Pascal

Posted Image

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

#19 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2010 - 22:31

Quick question, are there any tipped dip pens? or are all of them just steel tipped?

These dip-less dip pens (dip pens with feeds) have tipped nibs more like fountain pen nibs. :ninja: P.S.: I never use them so I'm going to list them in the sale section. :ninja:

Posted Image

#20 ANM

ANM

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,925 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 23:01

Steel nibs are usually not tipped, Gold nibs usually are. All of these are tipped. There are exceptions. Some steel nibs used with Esterbrook dip pens are tipped, for example.

Posted Image

Edited by ANM, 06 April 2010 - 23:06.

And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

Sponsored Content

|