Montegrappa Modigliani LE with Medium Nib

camoandconcrete

good grief, yes!My last Moleskine was incredibly picky about both nib and ink. There were only a few pens I could use on it.

Love the Modigliani! :puddle: That is one gorgeous pen.

read, write, grade essays, repeat

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• camoandconcrete

• PigRatAndGoat

• MidnightBlue

• usnavydoc

very nice pen clap1.gif I was wondering about the piston, is a true piston filler like the 149 or is it a captive converter?

Sadly, its a captive converter.

I'm curious to know how you've come to conclude this. Last year I contemplated buying this pen, but I couldn't figure out if was a piston filler or a captive converter.

I took the pen apart.

I returned this pen. I am a big fan of Modigliani and find this pen to be insulting to his memory. I especially hate that Montegrappa decided to use such a ridiculous filling system which is, basically, a permanently installed converter! Also, if one is a true student of Modigliani, one would realize that for much of his work he relied upon subtle, deep and dark colors. Shame on Montegrappa!

Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

I respect your opinion; however I like this pen. But, I can safely say that this is not one of their better designs.

MB users could learn a lot from your objectivity. ( especialy given that it's your fave brand)

Thanks

SHHHHHHHHHHH careful.........MB people kinda don't like me 'cause I tend to despair at their lack of objectivity toward MB. (you know MB 149 THE FOUNTAIN fountain pen ). Your comment about the Mod not being one of their best designs shows a refreshing honesty and objectivity you will not find on the MB forum. That's so!!!

Thanks

Ah, I see, I see. I get the sense that my views are starting to anger some as well. embarrassed_smile.gif

Being an Aussie we we have a good BS barometer and don't "buy" the idea of precious resin" etc, and brand loyaly to us borders on psychosis or at very least brain washing. My attitude is love what you love, like my love for my Extra and Miyas but for Petes sake keedp two feet on the ground.

thanks

I like your attitude and I do love what I love. My feet are on the ground but hopefully they'll be in the air as I'm trying to get a job in construction this summer as a framer.

I respect your opinion; however I like this pen. But, I can safely say that this is not one of their better designs.

And I can add that the same opinion can be expressed in many other ways, especially when you can't see either facial expressions nor body language from the other person. I believe this is one of the major setbacks in electronic communication nowadays.

Going back to your comment, you did deal very well with a different opinion... kudos to you!

SHHHHHHHHHHH careful.........MB people kinda don't like me 'cause I tend to despair at their lack of objectivity toward MB. (you know MB 149 THE FOUNTAIN fountain pen ). Your comment about the Mod not being one of their best designs shows a refreshing honesty and objectivity you will not find on the MB forum. That's so!!!

Thanks

Which is sad that people should really regurgitate their frustrations, aggresivity and fears when somebody does not agree with them. I myself have a MB149 and believe it is a very good writer; but I would not eviscerate somebody because they disagree or even try to insult me because they disagree.... oh! I can go on and on...glare.gif

Ah, I see, I see. I get the sense that my views are starting to anger some as well. embarrassed_smile.gif

You will never satisfy 100% of the people. Please do not let this deter you from your comments for (at this moment) I do not think many people would find them offensive.

I personally do not like this type of pen (the dome at the cap) but I can really respect other people's opinion. I do like though the celluloid and the nib: I love to see the ink seep into the bas-relief (?) of the nib.

Regarding the metal section: I do not tend to like them but it is something very different with the Montegrappas. It is not slippery and being metal a good conductor, eventually the section warms on your fingers: a very nice feeling indeed.

Thaks for the review, they are not easy to do for they are time consuming (hope some people would appreciate this) and keep'em coming!

clap1.gif

* edited for the trillion typos

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Thank you for the kind words, alvarez57.

It's the truth!

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I just noticed something that would make this pen perfect as an eyedropper: the barrel is completely lined in solid brass. Also, this explains the heft of the pen.

• 1 year later...

ilove this pen.it was my first pen i got a few months ago in my recent switch back to using fountains. i love how it feels and it's very simple and with wondeful lines.

great review. as i am new to the "pen scene" i am thrilled i got one of these. in fact i was so thrilled i got 3 one for me, one for a friend and a rollerball for my son for his graduation.

we all love them:)

ilove this pen.it was my first pen i got a few months ago in my recent switch back to using fountains. i love how it feels and it's very simple and with wondeful lines.

great review. as i am new to the "pen scene" i am thrilled i got one of these. in fact i was so thrilled i got 3 one for me, one for a friend and a rollerball for my son for his graduation.

we all love them:)

The nib on montegrappas is hard to fault, the design is nice too. But what counts the most is that you are happy with the pen.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I just got the Modigliani today in the mail. Got it for a good deal on Ebay. Love the color of the barrel. Writes very smoothly using Waterman ink. Like mentioned earlier, they use a permanent converter on the pen, which can't be detached from the nib. The converter is made of what appears to be plastic, which is covered by a metal sleeve. The sleeve has "metal" inscribed on it. They should have just used a piston system, IMHO, or gone with a converter/cartridge system.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c322/navydoc414/Star%20Wars/boba2.gifhttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c322/navydoc414/Star%20Wars/emperor.gifhttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c322/navydoc414/Star%20Wars/imperial_guard2.gifhttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c322/navydoc414/Star%20Wars/sandtrooper.gifhttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c322/navydoc414/Star%20Wars/vaderflow.gif

I just got the Modigliani today in the mail. Got it for a good deal on Ebay. Love the color of the barrel. Writes very smoothly using Waterman ink. Like mentioned earlier, they use a permanent converter on the pen, which can't be detached from the nib. The converter is made of what appears to be plastic, which is covered by a metal sleeve. The sleeve has "metal" inscribed on it. They should have just used a piston system, IMHO, or gone with a converter/cartridge system.

Yes, they should have. Its annoying when paying this much for a pen that uses a captive converter. They should step up their game and introduce piston fillers on their normal line of pens instead of reserving it for the high-end LEs.