1997 Parker Silver Special Edition Snake Pen Stand

Resurgam

Hello,

Would anyone have any information regarding a Special Edition Parker Pen Stand, issued in 1997? It is in hallmarked silver (hallmarked Birmingham 1997, with "Filled" stamped next to the hallmark) and stands about 5.5 inches tall (or 6.5 inches including the rosewood plinth). The snake has what appears to be green glass eyes.

There is a shallow recess on the base of the plinth to hold the end of a pen, which then rests in the crook of the snake's neck.

I assume it was issued to coincide with the launch of the Snake Pen can can find nothing about the stand on-line.

Regards,

Geoffrey

post-30658-127030561142.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penworkshop

• smudgebug

• Resurgam

• da vinci

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello,

Quite a long time between the question and an answer but I just recently came across another one of these stands, which I now own. The same hallmark as far as the city and date but I can't make out the Maker Mark. It too is sterling, and filled. These were apparently companions to the "Snake" pens and are supposed to be even rarer. Mine is #40.

Does anyone have any information as far as the total number made, and possible value?

Thank you, Ken

• 2 years later...

Hi

Another 2 years have passed on this topic and now I've acquired one too!

Mine is number 35 and the plaque says 'Parker Special Edition 1997.'

I haven't been able to find out anything about them either!

post-43307-0-63811000-1457538492.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hello

Have at last been able to marry up the sterling silver Parker Snake stand with the Limited Edition Parker Snake fountain pen also in sterling silver.

Don't normally like snakes very much but this one does look quite stunning and thankfully doesn't bite!

Paul.

post-43307-0-50526800-1473158594.jpg

Hello

Have at last been able to marry up the sterling silver Parker Snake stand with the Limited Edition Parker Snake fountain pen also in sterling silver.

Don't normally like snakes very much but this one does look quite stunning and thankfully doesn't bite!

Paul.

Congratulations on concluding your quest. Must feel good acquiring the pair :)

Hello

More congratulations, I also managed to marry mine, so I know the difficulty involved.

Can you identify the makers mark on yours?

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Ken

Am attaching a picture of the makers mark which is AP&CO in an oval.

I believe this is ARTHUR PRICE & Co Ltd who used this particular mark between

1994/2001 which would tie up with our Snake stand. Before this I think the letters in their mark were in script.

I will email them and ask whether they have any additional information about the stand, in particular how many were made. Will post any reply.

Am trying to decide whether to polish up the stand to match the pen - can't make my mind up.

post-43307-0-22328900-1474031960.jpg

Regarding polishing the stand: I like the contrast between the pen and the stand. Having one with a strong patina really sets off and highlights the pen. My 2c anyway.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Thanks for that Greg - I think that's a really good point.

It has taken almost 20 years for the stand to develop that patina so I have decided to leave it as it is.

Best regards

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Mr James Price was kind enough to phone me in response to my email to Arthur Price & Co Ltd.

1997 was before James joined the family firm but he was able to confirm from research that the Snake Stand was a joint project between Arthur Price and Co and Parker Pens in the UK. Each snake was individually sculptured by hand in sterling silver on a resin mould.

There are no records at Arthur Price & Co as to how many were actually produced but James guesses that the number was probably between 50 and 100. He thinks this was perhaps a disappointment for AP&Co at the time who were hoping to be asked to produce more. James was very interested to learn that the stand had become a collector's item.

So all this begs the question - if 50/100 were made and we only know of 3 in captivity, where are the rest of them lurking? Let's see if we can encourage a few more to come out of hiding please.

Regards to all

Paul.

​I was surprised and happy to see the results of your endeavor to identify the maker of the stand, I made a futile attempt when I first got mine.

​I will try to post some pictures of my set, plus some others that may relate to the Parker Snake, in the near future.

​The information that your determination provided is invaluable.

​Thank you Paul.

​Best regards,

Ken

• 1 month later...

We still only know of the whereabouts of 3 of these stands. There must be more lurking in the undergrowth somewhere. Am having another attempt at flushing one or two out.

Regards to all.

Paul.

Grats on both your lovely acquisitions and the success of your dogged detective work.

I had to laugh, though, as I recently broke down and purchased my first Harry Potter knicknack, a half-size Voldemort wand replica, just because it came with a similar coiled snake stand.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 2 years later...

Just a very brief up-date on the Parker Snake Stand.

A lovely example, no 47, in the original box, was sold at Dreweatts pen auction in Newbury a few days ago on 12 Feb 2019. Hammer price was £450 around £585 with fees.
So number 47 has found a new home with a very lucky new owner.

If you have one or know where there are any more please post!

Regards Paul.