Ball point pen vs FP

NickKH

361 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you choose FP but not a ball point?

• For symbol
    • For standing out from others
    • For ink variaties
    • For line variation
    • For collection
    • For their barrels
    • For better handwriting (please tell us in what way)
    • For their nibs (please tell us in what way)
    • Dont know
    • Other reasons

There's a question in my mind since I first touched FP.

Modern FPs are stiff and has minimal line variation. The round and smooth tip allows us to write in whatever direction, whatever posture just like what we do when using ball point pens. So for me, an f-point FP is just the same as a ball point pen, which can be very smooth.

And changing from ball points to FP doesn't equals better handwriting, as one needs to pay attention to the posture, angle, pressure, hand and arm movements etc that a stiff nib FP and obviously ball points doesn't require (Some says the advent of ball point pens is one of the main reasons of the deteriorating penmanship, which i agree). That's why lots of people review a several-thousand-dollar FP in their own not-yet-polished handwriting, only describing how smooth, how wet by words, without actually demonstrating it.

For me, i switched to FP with italic nibs as i love the line variations that it achieves, and i realise when i use a ball point now, my handwriting would become much uglier as the constriants in posture, movement, etc are gone. I'm considering a flexible nib too but it's currently too expensive for me.

If not for the line variation, i personally find no indication to switch from ball points to FP. If for a feel of luxury, most expensive pens have both a ball point and FP version, so one can choose a ball point version right away and forget FPs.

So, when they write the same, and people use them the same, why choose FP but not ball point?

I'd be appreciated if someone could enlighten me on this issue. Thanks!

Nick

Edited by NickKH

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• schadowrider

• Chevalier

• ethernautrix

Fountain pens are just more ergonomic. The absence of the need to apply pressure while writing means a more relaxed grip which reduces aches from extended periods of writing (e.g. exams). They're also lovely to look at and are a nice reminder of times past.

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

I use FPs for several reasons.

1. As an antidote to todays world of technology. I do embrace technology but it seems that everything you buy these days comes with a manual an inch thick plus an installation disc.

2. Fountain pens are beautiful! Yes, I know you can get ball points to match many FPs, but for me,there is always something missing without that beautiful nib at the front of the pen.

3. I love all the palaver of flushing and filling pens. Its all part of the pleasure of using FPs, even if I do end up covered in ink!

4. I love choosing and buying ink for my fountain pens.

5. I have arthritis in my hands and find using ballpoints for extended periods of writing is uncomfortable as you have to use so much more pressure.

6. Nothing can replace the pleasure of laying down that lovely wet line of ink! :thumbup:

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

Other reasons:

I have to press on a ballpoint and hold it at a high angle. This gives me hand cramps and a finger callus.

Even if the fountain pen has a little "tooth" or feedback, your hand develops a swing that makes your writing look more graceful and flowing. You can't do that when grinding a ballpoint into a paper surface.

Fountain pens are available that give more line widths, not to mention line variation.

Ballpoints were invented for clumsy people who spill ink all over their hands and the circumambient propinquity. If you are not one of those, then why bother? I can walk; I do not need a wheelchair.

Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

I have to press on a ballpoint and hold it at a high angle. This gives me hand cramps and a finger callus.

Even if the fountain pen has a little "tooth" or feedback, your hand develops a swing that makes your writing look more graceful and flowing. You can't do that when grinding a ballpoint into a paper surface.

Fountain pens are available that give more line widths, not to mention line variation.

Three very good reasons.....thanks for posting :thumbup:

There's nice history with fountain pens, particularly vintage ones; they are more "interesting" to write with than a ball point or roller ball, when you write for long stretches; and, yes, the ability to choose ink color and rotate that day to day or more if one wants.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Fountain pens are just more ergonomic. The absence of the need to apply pressure while writing means a more relaxed grip which reduces aches from extended periods of writing (e.g. exams). They're also lovely to look at and are a nice reminder of times past.

Yuki

+1. I take *a lot* of notes, at pretty high speed. Doing so with a skinny BP caused hand cramps.

And I'm not immune to a touch of nostalgia and aesthetics, too. Plus, better ink choices and you can't do with a BP what you can with a stub!

Other reasons:

Very true - for some of us the pressure/tension issue is the primary thing. I like all the aesthetic and other benefits of FPs, but I wouldn't use them if it wasn't for the ergonomic benefit. In addition to finger cramps I used to get awful wrist pain from even fairly brief use of ballpoints & rollerballs; FPs eliminate the wrist pain entirely, and vastly delay/reduce finger cramping. For this reason alone I find them vastly superior for all but the very briefest writing tasks.

I use a FP all the time unless I'm signing NCR forms that will necessitate a BP.

I use FPs for several reasons.

1. As an antidote to todays world of technology. I do embrace technology but it seems that everything you buy these days comes with a manual an inch thick plus an installation disc.

2. Fountain pens are beautiful! Yes, I know you can get ball points to match many FPs, but for me,there is always something missing without that beautiful nib at the front of the pen.

3. I love all the palaver of flushing and filling pens. Its all part of the pleasure of using FPs, even if I do end up covered in ink!

4. I love choosing and buying ink for my fountain pens.

5. I have arthritis in my hands and find using ballpoints for extended periods of writing is uncomfortable as you have to use so much more pressure.

6. Nothing can replace the pleasure of laying down that lovely wet line of ink! :thumbup:

I think Lorna's answer sums it up perfectly. Does anything more need to be said?

What the pen looks like, how the nib feels on the paper, the line quality on the page, and the sheer variety of beautiful fountain pens....

Also, the easy switching of inks and the many varieties of inks, even of the same color.

The overall aesthetics and functionality of fountain pens appeal to me.

(I didn't check any boxes.)

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I have to say "for the nibs". For me, that means less fatigue from writing, better handwriting (though minimal improvement forced by the round nib), and to a lesser degree the great look of a FP nib. Similar to the look level of importance I like the connection to the past.

Better handwriting is just an additional benefit to the joy of effortless writing with the pen gliding over paper with minimal effort.

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

There's a question in my mind since I first touched FP.

Modern FPs are stiff and has minimal line variation. The round and smooth tip allows us to write in whatever direction, whatever posture just like what we do when using ball point pens. So for me, an f-point FP is just the same as a ball point pen, which can be very smooth.

And changing from ball points to FP doesn't equals better handwriting, as one needs to pay attention to the posture, angle, pressure, hand and arm movements etc that a stiff nib FP and obviously ball points doesn't require (Some says the advent of ball point pens is one of the main reasons of the deteriorating penmanship, which i agree). That's why lots of people review a several-thousand-dollar FP in their own not-yet-polished handwriting, only describing how smooth, how wet by words, without actually demonstrating it.

For me, i switched to FP with italic nibs as i love the line variations that it achieves, and i realise when i use a ball point now, my handwriting would become much uglier as the constriants in posture, movement, etc are gone. I'm considering a flexible nib too but it's currently too expensive for me.

If not for the line variation, i personally find no indication to switch from ball points to FP. If for a feel of luxury, most expensive pens have both a ball point and FP version, so one can choose a ball point version right away and forget FPs.

So, when they write the same, and people use them the same, why choose FP but not ball point?

I'd be appreciated if someone could enlighten me on this issue. Thanks!

Nick

Yuki

+1. I take *a lot* of notes, at pretty high speed. Doing so with a skinny BP caused hand cramps.

And I'm not immune to a touch of nostalgia and aesthetics, too. Plus, better ink choices and you can't do with a BP what you can with a stub!

As for me it has improved my handwriting so I would have to disagree with your comment: "And changing from ball points to FP doesn't equals better handwriting," Using a fountain pen has helped my handwriting as I was taught and exclusively use a cursive hand. I also pretty much use a stub or cursive italic nib daily along with a handy fine point fountain pen.

I question your curiosity or are you baiting us?

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

I don't always use a fountain pen when writing. I must use a variety of papers while working, and a FP is often not practical. However, I use FPs when I have the option of using FP friendly paper because they allow you to choose from a wide variety of nib styles, nib flexibility and nib smoothness. FP users also are able to choose from an incredible array of inks with a seemingly unlimited number of colors and characteristics. In other words, FPs provide a greater opportunity to tailor the writing experience to your own individual tastes.

Regards,

Ray

Ball point pens do not write with every angle, they require me to distort my hand into a painful position to get the right angle and press hard to write. This is painful and who wants to be in pain while writing? FPs don't require me to distort my hand, I just hold the pen as normal and they need no pressure unless you are using a flex pen.

Because of the above reasons writing with a bll point is a lot less neat for me, with a fountian pen you are not fighting discomfort and a bad pen so you can concentrate more on actually forming the letters rather than getting the pen to work.

I fail to see how anyone who has used a FP and a BP could think that they write the same, they don't.

Why FP?

No need for pressure when writing, so easier on the hand and more conducive to writing neatly and expressively. There are no italic ballpens. Ballpens leave clumps of glutinous ink on the page that will smear half an hour later. Fountain pens are more eco-friendly, especially if you don't use cartridges. They're cheaper in the long run. You have hundreds of inks to choose from, and they will fill any fountain pen. Ballpens are disposable or take proprietary refills you can't get in every store. I like taking things to bits and seeing how they work. Ballpens have what, four pieces?*

*Okay, retractable ballpoints are more complicated, and fountain pens don't exactly have a hundred pieces, but you can see how they work. The oddest thing to see is a demonstrator ballpoint - what exactly is there to see that you can't see in a dirt-cheap Bic Crystal? And I'll grant you you don't get springs in fountain pens that you can play with and fire across the room.

Edited by brunico

First, ease of writing. No pressure required to write means pain free writing for arthritic hands. I love the variety of inks and nibs available. I do most of my writing with vintage pens and the opportunity to repair and use an old writing instrument brings immense satisfaction. There is absolutely no fulfillment gained from restoring a Bic stick. I also enjoy trying to track down information on the original owners when I find a pen with a name engraved on it. BHR and celluloid feel wonderful in the hand. Plastic does not.

Last, but not least, there is no Ballpoint Pen Network or BPN and writing with a fountain pen gives me a good reason to hang around here.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I don't think the pressure argument is valid for all ball points, because my cheap Zebra bps don't require any pressure to produce a line.

I also disagree with the contention that bps are inferior to fps because they don't write at every angle. It's fps that are worse than bps in this regard!

Bps actually have a large number of advantages over fps - they write on plastic, wood, fabric, wet papers, are essentially carefree and aren't as fragile as fps, are generally cheaper and have better qc, can write on coated/shiny papers like photos and glossy postcards, can write through triplicate forms more readily, can write on thermal fax papers, refills last much longer, and so on. Yet I still prefer fps. For me it's a largely a matter of sensuality - the feel of nib on paper, shading, more ink colors. So my choice was 'Other'. I also like line variation of my stubs.

Edited by Blade Runner