Visconti Homo Sapeins comparison pictures, weights and measuments.

Bryant

Oh dear. Reading this article while undergoing bathroom renovations... :roflmho: :ltcapd:

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• Chris Chalmers

• Bryant

• tanalasta

nice article.

you know now I have about a half dozen of these ink pots after buying a particularly nice one initially on fleabay.

I haven't used it yet as I've been moving my Herbin inks into MB bottles.

But now I am feeling the vibe to give this a go.

I can see with my silver /clear Ripple that without the gravity assistance I only ever achieve a 50% fill at best and with this thirsty wench that doesn't always last long.

Thank you pilotheinrich for the video too.

________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.

Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)

And do hang onto that ink pot. In fact, I try to get the thumb of my holding hand up on top of the flat end of the pot. With some pens, it really is possible to launch the pot across the room when you depress the piston. I was fortunate that, when I had the experience, all that was in the ink pot was water as I was using it to clean the pen, but not everyone has been so lucky.

Great article, thanks for sharing!

Deb's article is becoming a classic. I remember reading it after using my ink pot for the first time.

Royce O'Rourke - Realtor! is now available in

PRINT

pilotheinrich you have inspired me to FINALLY use the inkpot.

It was fantastic!

With my Ripple I could see after two flushes that it was completely full, something I could never achieve without this device.

Thank you Thank you

:clap1: :clap1:

________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.

Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)

pilotheinrich you have inspired me to FINALLY use the inkpot.

It was fantastic!

With my Ripple I could see after two flushes that it was completely full, something I could never achieve without this device.

Thank you Thank you

:clap1: :clap1:

I am an avid inkpot user as well. Besides a refilling a cartridge with a syringe, they are the only way to get every last drop out of a bottle. And they are waaay more convenient on the road. On the downside, with vacuum fillers there is a palpable risk of catastrophic failure. And feeling like a drug-addict when I pull it out in public - is this because it's such a nerdy thing to do, or also because the process is a metaphor for my fountain pen addiction? https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif

Agreed, inkpots are a great way to completely fill a Visconti vacuum filler, but it can be done from an ink bottle as well using this 2-pass method. On the first pass, immerse the pen in the bottle and press the plunger comme utile. Now remove the pen from the bottle, invert it so the nib is pointing upwards, and pull the plunger all the way out. Keeping the nib upright and watching the ink window like a hawk, slowly push the plunger back in until ink appears in the window. Holding the plunger steady, invert the pen and immerse the nib in the bottle again. Fully depress the plunger, wait a few seconds, and the pen will be completely full. Over-full actually, if you're planning to take a flight somewhere, as the primary chamber will be so full the secondary chamber can't be emptied. Practice with water first.

Bruce

BB is the new M

Just an interesting observation.

I have my Pd XF adjusted for flow by having the tines bought closer together by my local pen store and it totally changed the characteristics and feel of the nib. It still flowed with moderate flow but was no longer the wet gusher but the nib felt much stiffer and rigid, having lost the lovely brush-like, soft spring that characterised it before.

I had not realised such a subtle adjustment would change the writing characteristic so much so thought I'd post my comments. My pen boutique did a good job (just had to realign the tines slightly when I got home) but in the end...

Mike-it-Work has my pen right now. Australian International Platinum got it to him in only a few days!

I have no doubt it will be one of my favourite Cursive Italics when it comes back.

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

• 1 month later...

You can almost hear the gears turning in my head. To buy, or not to buy, that is the question.

post-42485-078932100 1278962648.jpg

"Who speaks to the instincts speaks to the deepest in mankind and finds the readiest response."-- Amos Bronson Alcott