Recommend a Ladies Pen

Pen Top

My Wife would like me to buy her a good quality fountain pen that can be carried in her handbag and preferrably clipped into a small leather filofax/organiser case loop.

Budget in the 2-400 USD range ...... I am completely lost, if its a big oversized FP I could list 20 to top my list, but here I would welcome any help from you guys and gals!

Cheers,

Stephen

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pen Top

• sonia_simone

• Dillo

• PinarelloOnly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How tall is your wife? If she's "average height" maybe a Waterman Harmonie would be a nice fit. The Waterman Hemisphere is also really nice, a little bit bigger than the Harmonie. If she's small, the Waterman Ici Et La is very petite, too petite for my liking (I'm 5'7"). The Aubrey is nice also, kind of on the funky side. Some of the smaller Cross pens might be nice also, but I don't know any of them. If she's really really tiny, some brands have "mini" sizes, but for the life of me, I can't remember any of them off the top of my head.

Kathy loves her Sheaffer slim Targa. Still shows up on ebay, etc. Solidly made, well balanced, writes like a dream. Hard to beat a Sheaffer slim Targa.

My Wife would like me to buy her a good quality fountain pen that can be carried in her handbag and preferrably clipped into a small leather filofax/organiser case loop.

Budget in the 2-400 USD range ...... I am completely lost, if its a big oversized FP I could list 20 to top my list, but here I would welcome any help from you guys and gals!

Cheers,

Stephen

Ah. My three suggestions, in no order of importance (all are equally great, actually; and can be found for your indicated price range):

1) One of the Dupont Fidelios. I know, Dupont's supposed to do men's accessories, eh? But, the Fidelio looks just right in a lady's hand. Not too light, not too heavy. Nice, lacquer or metal models (enabling you to also say, "don't tell me I never gave you anything platinum" :lol: . . . well, I think Dupont uses some other metals as well).

2) Cross ATX. Some of Cross's recent updated colors (a lime green, burgundy red, a champagne color, too; and from the Bahia collection) for this line feature one of the models (I think it IS the champagne color) up against the back of a lady's high heel. I mentioned in another post that the Cross ATX proved a bit too slim, small for my own hand, but, maybe'd look better with a lady. Affordable and looks terrific. 'Nuff said.

3) Take a look at any of the Taccias. Great prices, great value, great lookin'. Richard Binder's 'site shows 'em off well!

Edited by The Man

Would a new Conway Stewart Dinkie be too fat, I wonder? Right in the middle of your price range, and so awfully pretty.

I have a Pelikan white tortoise--that is a very pretty pen, and appealingly petite. Also a lovely writer, esp. if you get someone to do a special nib for you. Mine is modified for flex and I love it.

How about a Sailor 1911M?

Or the cute l'il Bexley Tuck-Away--teeny when capped, normal-sized when posted.

Then there's always a Speeno. ;)

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Go Vintage! Dozens of choices. Parkers, Sheaffers, Waterman, etc.

My favorite would be one of the little Esterbrook Purse pens. You could get several for your budget range and they are "purpose built" for the application you have in mind.

I gave my wife (InkyPinky) an adorable pink one she filled with pink ink and she seems quite happy with it.:)9

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

I know exactly where you are coming from. She is going to want something new and

not used. God forbid if she found out you bought her a used pen. Right? You are in the

right price range to buy for your wife. Because, you love her or you were out late with

the boys again the night before.

Omas 360 Mezzo. Outside of this forum, women absolutely love this pen and so does

mywife. When the color series came out, Joon New York and Fountain Pen Hospital both

in Manhattan, have been selling them like hot cakes.

If that is to big for her organizer then there is the hot new Aurora Talentum Finesse

that can be found well under $200. Also, a very reliable pen like the Omas.

My wife's organizer has her Visconti Van Gogh Midi Tortoise in it and she loves the

14k nib which I still think they are all steel nibs in the Midi's except the Tortoise

Demonstrator.

It's also a plus to to tell them that their new pen is from Italy.

Good Luck.

Scott.

Hi,

Waterman Ici Et La

Pelikan M300

Parker Jotter

Montblanc Mozart

Remember, these are really tiny and are my favourite size

Slightly larger:

Japanese short pens

Even bigger:

Pelikan M200

Pelikan M400

Parker "51"

Cross ATX

Cross Century II

There are certainly more pens, but I might want to include them later.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

If it really must be new, a Pelikan M-200 or M-300 might be nice. An Esty Purse Pen is a really good idea. But for a durable, dependable fountain pen why not a Parker 51 Demi? "Vintage" is not just a "used" pen, but something quite different. Does your wife object to a vintage wine? If she likes her first Demi, it might lead to a quest for one unused, which would be a worthy effort. Who knows?

I will say, if someone bought me a 360 Mezzo, I would be pretty cheerful.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

I have the Aurora Mini Sole, and I love it, but it may be too wide to fit into a slender pen-loop - that would be your deciding factor.

A Pelikan M300 or M320 sounds like the better candidate...

The barrel width of my M300 is roughly ~9.5mm, the Sole Mini is more like ~13mm, and my Montegrappa Micra is ~12mm.

Here they are:

post-4-1156635031_thumb.jpg

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

What about this Laban Pocket FP?

I got it cos I liked the colour - then found out it was only 7cm long! More haste less speed I guess. Still, its lovely to look at. £20 on ebay. Think it's big brother is needed.

Pic is from the advert.

post-4-1156635552_thumb.jpg

Edited by DrDiver

If vintage is ok, how about a nice Parker 75? One of the sterling silver ones should be acceptable, and they are very elegant. If it must be thinner, a sterling Classic would be nice. They are long, but not at all chunky.

Joan

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just to close off the subject I presented her with a MB Mozart Fine Nib, Platinum trim today ....... I'm in the good books ...... until my next purchase at least! :D

Stephen