Aurora Ipsilon

anaximander

I was looking through the review index the other day and noticed that this fantastic model had only two reviews, so I thought I would chime in. This review if for the non-deluxe (steel-nib) version of the Ipsilon with an EF nib.

Appearance (3/5)

A simple but attractive design. It has a sleek, modern look without being conspicuously artsy. Visual highlights include the Y-shaped clip that either gives the pen its name or is derived from it, and the 3-band cap lip with "Aurora/Italy." The "satin" (i.e., matte) finish is attractive, pleasantly grippy, and resistant to fingerprints. An additional bonus is that the satin colors are a few bucks less expensive than the regular colors from some vendors. It may be hard to see in the photos, but the top of the cap, blind end, and section are shiny black rather than matte.

http://rongilmour.info/images/blackIpsilonCap.jpg

Design, Size, and Weight (4/5)

For my hand, this pen is just about perfect. I can write with it for ages without fatigue. Some may find it a bit on the small size. Uncapped, it is about the size of a Pelikan M400, but with a smaller nib. There is one design issue that is a little distracting: when posted, the cap rotates freely. I don't think I have any other pen that does this. Not a big deal, but odd.

Nib (5/5)

This pen has a really superb steel nib. I enjoy the fact that it is a true EF. It's not as fine as my Sailor Sapporo EF, but it's getting there. It has a bit of tooth (a quality for which I understand Aurora is known), but I don't find that at all unpleasant.

http://rongilmour.info/images/blackIpsilonNib.jpg

Here's the unusual thing about the nib: it flexes. I'm not talking about vintage Waterman levels of flex, but there's enough flex to provide some interesting line variation. Who would have thought? I thought steel nibs weren't supposed to do this.

http://rongilmour.info/images/blackIpsilonWithWriting.jpg

Filling System (3/5)

It's an inexpensive modern pen, so of course it's cartridge/converter.

Cost and Value (5/5)

I bought this one new for $80 about a year ago. While other pens go in and out of rotation, this one seems to be inked almost constantly. I think it's a fantastic value and rate it beside the Pelikan M2xx series in the "hundred dollar-ish" price category. I'm often surprised that the Ipsilon doesn't get recommended that often in the many "starter pen" discussions. It seems to me to fit that niche nicely.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• roundthecurve

• orangeaurora

• Ed Ronax

• IKWarren

I agree the Ipsilon (non-deluxe) is a great starter pen smile.gif I have one that I bought in a set with matching ballpoint, and it's solidly made and very reliable. I think this pen may not be mentioned as often simply because Pelikans and Parkers seem to be the most popular pens on FPN (Lamy, too). Thanks for starting the conversation!

Edited for spelling error ;)

Edited by IWantThat

Tamara

Thanks for the great review! I've got two of these--in fine and medium and they are among my favorites. The softness of the nib, as you've pointed out, improves my handwriting and makes it enjoyable experience to use. I like that the cap clicks on when posted and is securely on the pen. After seeing this, I may have to add an EF to my collection although I can't hope to produce the beautiful writing samples that you've done. They are often available used for under $50, and in fact I've often recommended them as starter pens in the midst of the Lamy Safari and Pelikan recommendations.

Now you need to get an Aurora 88. :ltcapd:

I've been thinking that I need another Ipsilon, and your beautiful handwriting sample with the EF nib has me leaning in that direction. I have an orange satin Ipsilon with a wonderful Medium nib. I can write for hours with that pen without tiring, and the pen just has the feel of quality.

Great review!

Nice review, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

I enjoyed this review, thanks for taking the time out.

Considering an Aurora Ipsilon instead of a Pelikan M200 now . . .

THAT'S extra fine? I'm really impressed it does have some flex doesn't it?

"If we faked going to the Moon, why did we fake it nine times?" -- Apollo 16 astronaut Charlie Duke

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4447835438_d7314170bf_o.png

I've got an Ipsilon deLuxe, it's a fine pen. Maybe I'll go ink it up right now... :rolleyes:

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

I don't have any Italian pens. None. I know, you're wondering how I can live with myself, how I can stand to look at myself in the mirror each morning?

On and off I have contemplated an Ipsilon. Now it seems clear that I will have to have one. And very soon.

Nice review, but I find it unseemly that you show off your hand-writing and make the rest of us look bad.

I enjoyed this review, thanks for taking the time out.

Considering an Aurora Ipsilon instead of a Pelikan M200 now . . .

I like the Ipsilon just fine, but I think the build quality of Pelikan is superior. Just my opinion mind you. Perhaps you should get both just to be on the safe side. :eureka:

Nice review BTW.

Dan

• 6 months later...

This came from an extra fine nib? Is it a soft nib that flexes?

Nice handwriting by the way.

nice review, nice handwriting too. My first pen was an Aurora Ipsilon Deluxe, it still my smoothest writing pen.

• 1 month later...

A yellow Ipsilon got me back into fountain pens. I've had a Pelikan 400 for about 20 years and that was my only pen. Then one day I saw a yellow Ipsilon at Paradise Pens, and decided I needed one.

So now my collection is slowly growing, but that little yellow Ipsilon is my main daily writter. It's always with me.

Andy

• 1 month later...

This is a nice review. I think the Ipsilon is a lovely pen, but I can't say that it's all that surprising that it's not more often a 'go to' recommendation. I'm still fairly new to pens. I bought my first one about about three years ago. And I still have a fairly small collection; it consists of about 8-10 pens, about four of which I consider my regulars: Pelikan 400, Waterman Charleston, Parker Sonnet and Faber Castell Ambition. About 6 months ago I decided to acquire a new pen and I was delighted when I found the Ipsilon. I thought then, and still think, that it is a remarkably good looking pen. The lines, curves, and the color selection are all just delightful. Everything about it says 'smooth.' Except the nib. When it arrived I was so distressed to experience what I now know is referred to as 'tooth' or 'feedback'. I was so disconcerted that I called the company to discuss 'the problem.' This is when I discovered that there wasn't really a problem. The person who took my call was just what I've come to expect in the fountain pen world. A thoughtful person who understood the passion pen people have for this experience. She was frank with me and said that my reaction seemed to suggest I wouldn't ever really be ok with the Ipsilon because it really does have that kind of -- we were calling it 'scratchy' -- response. So I returned it. It's the only pen I've ever returned. But the truth is... I miss it. It is such a lovely pen. I very much agree with the reviewer that the aesthetic power of this pen comes from its subtlety. The contour and the shading -- mine was a burgundy tone -- combined to make a strong visual impression while somehow remaining muted(?). So fondly do I remember the look of the pen on my desk that I'm now thinking I could give it another try. In the intervening 6-9 months, I've developed a bit of an obsession with paper. So now just about every surface my pens touch are 90g and very FP friendly. I wonder if now I might handle that feedback better. Does anyone have experience of this sort? Might the Ipsilon deluxe make a difference?

cheers,

b

Brett R. O'Bannon

You live and learn. At any rate, you live.

-- Douglas Adams

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know if Aurora Ipsilon and Style share the same nib? I got a new Aurora Style today and it's steel nib looks like the Ipsilon's posted here. The Style's nib has some flex too. Is the difference just in the looks?

Aurora Style:

Aurora Ipsilon:

Edited by max dog