WHat about ball points

Waterman

Hey everyone I'm new here and as you should know, I just recently got interested to pens. The only Pens I have right now are cross century, cross century II, Parker sonnet, Parker classic, Parker jotter, Parker 45, Waterman Hemisphere, and a caren d'ache that my dad have me which he said is around 10 yrs old and they don't make them anymore. So every pen of mine except the 45 is a ballpoint. SO I was wondering if any of you guys have interests in ballpoints or favorites. My favorite would be the Waterman Hemisphere and the cross century II.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• london

• meanwhile

• Cloud

• mfwebb

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Parker ballpoints that can take the gel refills. The gels are smoother than ballpoints and are half-way between a fountain pen and a ballpoint in terms of performance. Both my kids are using the gels since I couldn't talk them into fountain pens at this point. I'm still working on them. ;)

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

I only have cheap ballpoints and gel pens. I recently discovered a ballpoint a I really like. It's those free pens they give out at Commerce Bank! I love that blue in the pen. It's bright and has a purply tinge to it!!! I wish I knew what manufacturer made that ink so I could buy some refills and a nicer pen to go with it.

Otherwise, I love gel pens such as Uni-Balls and Hi-Tec-Cs (both kinds are Japan versions).

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I write with my stypen when I can't write with a fountain pen. ( it may actually be a rollerball...) It write nicelly, a is very smooth.

The trouble I have with them is that the point of contact is disposable, it's like throwing a nib away each time you change the cartridge. So most of the time I wrtie with one I feel that the point could be better if it was more permanent.

I like the concept from monteverde for the mega ink roller. But I don't like the pen design. If only they would make nice rollerball which uses fountain pen cartridges.

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

I have a couple of older Parkers...again for when an FP isn't practical. Making notes on the train on the way into work for example. I have also been toying with the idea of getting an old modified Eversharp ... just like the one Dennis has for sale in the marketplace.

- Mark

I have a couple of older Parkers...again for when an FP isn't practical. Making notes on the train on the way into work for example. Mark

Why is writing with a FP not practical on a train? I used to do it regularly writing notes, reports etc on train journeys to London.

As for ball points -- I have always refused to write with "Bic Sticks". Many of my friends call me a pen snob :-). I used to have a Parker Duofold BP and Pencil in Lapis Blue to match my FP -- carried them for 10 years in a burgundy leather case. I probably only used 2 refills in the whole 10 years. I sold them both on you know where recently and now carry fountain pens exclusively. I always have a Parker Vector in my pocket as a lending pen plus one of my other favourites -- usually a Pelikan. It's amazing how many people suddenly don't want to borrow my pen when they realise it's a fountain pen.

Malcolm Webb, Lincoln UK

When somebody asks me what Rotary is all about

I tell them it's all about Fun, Fellowship & Caring Service.

I have a couple of older Parkers...again for when an FP isn't practical. Making notes on the train on the way into work for example. Mark

Why is writing with a FP not practical on a train? I used to do it regularly writing notes, reports etc on train journeys to London.

I find a Triumph nib is an especially good nib for jotting in bumpy environments like buses and trains.

I carry a bp loaded with a fisher spacepen refill, and a sharpie, on slots on the outside of my briefcase.

- Jonathan

Its more to do with having a small notebook in which the pen sits, being stood up and cramped, and the design of my briefcase.

My notepad/BP sits in an outside pocket with my keys, loose change etc, book, upside down.. and I don't mind the BP getting scratched. The FPs are in an inside pocket and the briefcase buckles up (hence not quick n easy access). I also don't have to worry about ink as its only used occassionaly. I have been toying with the idea of replacing it with a cheaper screw top FP though ;-)

- Mark

On longer journeys I do use an FP, its just the daily commute.

Hi All,

Older ballpoints can be fun to write with.

A couple of months ago I bought one of the original Sheaffer Stratowriters - the gold-filled model with the removable point guard - and dropped in the Pendemonium ballpoint widget. Added a modern Sheaffer refill, and I was good to go.

In the hand, the pen is fundamentally different from modern ballpoints: weight, balance, feeling. I enjoyed the experience so much that I picked up a second old Sheaffer ballpoint: a nice fat brown Sentinel (modified, again, with the widget). Different in feeling from the Stratowriter, but also a pleasure to write with.

The extent of the difference between old ballpoints and modern ballpoints can be illustrated by a little story. A co-worker was in my office a few weeks ago. I was writing with the Sentinel BP; she became fascinated by its design and asked to borrow it. She was delighted - she found the tactile experience a revelation. She kept asking: "What kind of pen is this? What kind of pen is this?"

So if you find yourself needing a ballpoint, you might look into an older one. The Sheaffers, at least, are easy to get up and running again...and they often sell at very reasonable prices.

No replacement for a fountain pen...but delightful in their own right.

Best,

Jon

I write with my stypen when I can't write with a fountain pen. ( it may actually be a rollerball...) It write nicelly, a is very smooth.

The trouble I have with them is that the point of contact is disposable, it's like throwing a nib away each time you change the cartridge. So most of the time I wrtie with one I feel that the point could be better if it was more permanent.

I like the concept from monteverde for the mega ink roller. But I don't like the pen design. If only they would make nice rollerball which uses fountain pen cartridges.

There are several rollerball which use fountain pen cartridges.

From all of those I have Daniel Hechter Rollink (I have 3 in very nice colors) they are smooth and easy to use and even use converters and the Herbin stylo roller(just bought it and have not used yet)

Because you live in canada, you may be able to find all of the products listed below at your local stationnery shop and even department store.

Here is the list of U.S online retailer who sell inkrollers.

J. Herbin Stylo-Roller, Pelikan Roller both available from http://www.pendemonium.com/

The Herbin roller is in the new pen link, the Pelikan in the Pelikan link scroll down until you find them.

The Ink O Sphere Stillo Sphera from Borghini pens is availble from Parkville pen

http://www.parkvillepen.com/borghini.html

This is the entire line of Borghini pens from the U.S distributor website.

http://www.tryphon.it/pens/borghini/catalogo.htm

Here is a close up picture of the pen and the color availability.

http://www.tryphon.it/pens/borghini/v68.jpg

There is also Daniel Hechter fountain pen ink Roller ball, Rollink.

Here is a link from Boutique du Stylo

The one below is Black

http://www.stylo.ca/home.cfm?pageID=listep...D=69&compteur=3

Below is a close up picture of the Rollink by a user from australia. (scroll down until you find the picture)

http://www.dansdata.com/pens.htm

This retailer in autralia has the Rollink in different colors.

http://justwrite.com.au/advanced_search_re...rollink&x=0&y=0

Let me know if you need more info about the Inkrollers.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I like ballpoints in a little more expensive barrel than the plastic pens 10-20 in a cardboard box that you can get for a few dollars.

The neat thing about ballpoints is that, unless the ballpoint in question does have a cap, there is usually no "posting" issue, existing in a sort of "constant" mode, if you will, "twisted" or "untwisted." Yeah.

And let's not forget about ballpoint pens' inks' long-lasting existence on paper.

Because of my job, where I have to constantly lend a pen, I am a huge fan of Parker jotters. I have a cup on my desk with about 10 jotter pens and pencils in it. The gel refills are great in these, and they have a more substantial weight in my opinion than a regular "bic stic". But the downside is you can get a dozen "stic's" for the price of one jotter in most cases.

-Sean