The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan M910

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 16:42

This is my review of the yellow Pelikan M910 Toledo with medium nib. This Pelikan is unlike all the other Pelikan pens that I own. Not only is the nib superior and the color brighter, the ink window is yellow, and the binde is chiseled in the Toledo pattern. In this case, however, the binde is not in gold vermeil but is sterling silver plated with palladium to maintain the silver color without tarnishing. The clip and cap bands are rhodium plated and the nib is a standard M800 two-tone nib. This nib is so smooth and responsive, and the ink flow so perfect that I can't help but think that this nib has received special attention. Most likely though this nib was simply plucked out of a big bin and slapped on the pen without testing or special adjusting. The special attention this pen received during production was obviously focused on the silver binde.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The silver is hallmarked Ag 925 and bears a code specific to a particular metal artist (9/AP 73EH in this case). The binde appears to be cast with the circles, squares, and the Pelikan patterns intact, or perhaps it etched from a typical mask. The raised areas are then polished and hundreds of small cuts are added in by hand to accent the design. Thus, most of the metal work is probably not done by hand but it is surely still labor intensive. However it is produced this is the most striking pen I own, and it is certainly the most expensive. This is not a limited edition -- Pelikan calls it a special edition -- but evidently the numbers are kept relatively small at ~200 per month, and production will only run for a limited time. Regular M800s are far more common, and far more affordable.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Considering the metal binde, cost, and beauty of this pen it is remarkably practical as a daily writer. Reasonably heavy, the balance is set towards the rear of the pen but it feels so solid and well built it is a pleasure to hold and to use. The yellow resin seems to be of very high quality and is a pure yellow color that is bright but not excessively so. The silver/gray binde contrasts in a very pleasing way with the bright plastic that practically screams “Hey, look at me!". The pen feels so well built that it could be confused with a solid rod of metal, but it has the standard large M800 ink capacity.

Posted Image

Note how nicely the pen is finished. The joints between the disparate plastics and the metal binde are almost invisible.

Posted Image

Note also how the light glints off the hand-cut accents in the binde. Cuts just like a jeweler would make on a custom item.

Posted Image

At least with Pilot’s iroshizuku asa-gao ink this pen is a fantastic writer. The tip is smooth at a variety of angles and there is a little spring for a soft feel. Pressure also allows for some, but not a lot (~2 times increase), of line width variation. While smooth the nib is not glossy; there is a little bit of pleasing feedback allowing the user to feel the nib move across the paper. The cap posts securely without fear of scratching the silver binde. Although this makes the pen long, the weight is so concentrated in the barrel balance is barely affected. The presentation box is an understated small black wooden box painted with the Toledo logo, but it does come with a booklet unique to this line of pens.

Posted Image

Posted Image

All considered this pen is a triumph of form and function combined with beauty and quality. Built to last, it should still be a joy to look at, and to use this pen 100 years from now. The only way this pen could be better is if the tassie was like the old-style M800 since I think the silkscreened Pelikan design is kind of cheap looking compared to the old stamped line design. Nevertheless, I love this pen and am starting to desire another one or two, one in red and one in vermeil.

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 Lehnsherr

Lehnsherr

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 16:50

:puddle:

Thanks for sharing. Great photographing skills!
Currently Using: Pelikan M805

#3 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2010 - 17:00

Oh what a beautiful pen!!! :cloud9:

But I'm broke :crybaby:
Respect to all

#4 dandelion

dandelion

reality always trumps fiction

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2010 - 17:00

Great photos & review - thanks!
*****the dandelion blog is right here*****
*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

#5 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,432 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 17:23

Great photography and detail. A much appeciated review. Thanks!

#6 seasterl

seasterl

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 17:59

Nice macros!

#7 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 958 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 13:30

Nice macros!

It is amazing what a cheap camera like a Canon PowerShot S5 IS can do these days. Super macro (micro for you Nikon guys) to 12X zoon. My Nikon D40 needs several lenses for that.

#8 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2010 - 14:09

Great review of an incredible pen, thanks.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#9 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,551 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:17

In that a yellow 200, for E-39 at Kaufhaus, was the same size as my 400 at home. I did not buy it. It did convince me I wanted a yellow pen; to my surprise.

I either have not looked hard enough, or yellow pens are scarce.

Now of course I find a Yellow pen, a Pelikan, I would like to have.

Something like that can take half the joy out of life. It looks like a pen that would be always in rotation.

With a great pen rotation; it would force sale of other pens, and stop the collecting bug; or slow it way down, to a crawl.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#10 JBat

JBat

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2010 - 21:22

Excellent review and photos, and a beautiful pen. :thumbup:
John

Fountain pen lover

#11 JMX

JMX

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2010 - 21:27

Love the color.  :notworthy1:

Pelikan 140 OB
Pelikan M605 blue F
Pelikan M200 transparent (Demonstrator Japan) M
Pelikan Level 65 yellow M
Pelikan Level 65 red B  
Pelikan Go! black/magenta M
Pelikan Go! black/petrol M
Pelikan M70/Go! (C/C) magenta B
Pelikan Steno red (70s)
Lamy Safari charcoal 1.5 mm italic
Lamy Safari yellow EF
Lamy Vista Eyedropper 1.9 mm italic
Reform P 120
2x Reform 1745

#12 WRob

WRob

Scribo ergo sum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 22:30

I want the red one ... :puddle:
"We are all atheists about most of the gods humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins

Posted Image

#13 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 22:35

nice review and great pics
Cogito ergo sum

Sponsored Content

|