The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Danitrio Short Octagon Tamenuri

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Siv

Siv

Inky fingers

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:28

This is my first review on FPN - you may wonder why since I've been here a little while. I think it's mostly because I have nothing to add to the large number of pen reviews that are already out there. Today I got a nice surprise that I felt I had to share.

I think our very own Winedoc puts these pens up for sale just to tempt me. Well, as usual, I couldn't resist so my mailbox today had a Danitrio Short Octagon Tamenuri pen waiting for me. All my Danis at the moment are either flexy F/EF or stub nibs and clipless so I thought I would try something different this time. This one has a clip and I fully intend it to be a daily work pen and I got a flexy M nib on it.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

It's a very nice pen, finished to the usual Danitrio high standard. The brown pen box is a new one for me - usually they arrive in piano black. This is not my first short octagon and as with all the others, I pulled out the converter, slapped some silicone grease on the threads and went to work with the eye-dropper. Iroshizuku Kon-Peki is the ink of choice.

When I first started writing with it, it was a little hard starting as can be expected for a never inked pen. A few scribbles here and there and it was flowing nicely. Well what I noticed was a very pleasant effect - with a nice shading ink like Iroshizuku, just a little flourish of the hand produces very nice shading on the ink with this pen. Normally, with a F or EF flexy nib they are too scratchy for you to write with a little vigour and have a smooth writing experience. With this larger nib, you can do exactly that. When I say vigour, I mean applying a tiny bit of pressure while writing the down strokes but not so much as to make the tines spread a large amount. It's hard for me to explain so here's a picture (top line in pair is writen with normal pressure, bottom with a little vigour).

Posted Image

It's very pleasing to me to have such a versatile pen with a nib size that I can comfortably use at work and a variation that adds character to my writing with no effort. The Dani is going to join my Nakaya in my daily "take to work" rotation. Although the zen of clipless is fine at home, a clip is essential for out of the house.

Now I'm wondering if I should have the nib plated all rhodium to sleeken the pen up...

Father and Son:
Posted ImagePosted Image
The Genkai Tamenuri is an older pen and you can see how the colour has lightened over that time. Same artist - Kogaku.

Brothers:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Not a very exciting review but I hope at least some find the pictures enjoyable.

Edited by Siv, 25 March 2010 - 03:29.

Posted Image
Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Sponsored Content

#2 InkyWink

InkyWink

Molon Labe!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:34

Man, that is one beautiful pen. I need a cold shower right now to resist placing an order.
:D

A proud member of the Pittsburgh Fountain Pen Club

Fall Down 7, Stand Up 8

#3 Pfhorrest

Pfhorrest

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,147 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:58

Nice pen and review! I am very used to broad nibs, so I cringe a little seeing the handwriting sample but I trust that it is very smooth and writes well. :)
The sword is mightier than the pen. However, swords are now obsolete whereas pens are not.

-Unknown

#4 jde

jde

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,694 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:04

This is a gorgeous pen! Can you post how long the pen is nib to barrel?

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August
...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

#5 dennis_f

dennis_f

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:35

Thanks for the review Siv.

I'm surprised (in a good way) by the colour variation over time in the Father/Son shot. Thanks for posting that picture.

Have fun with the new pen!
D.

#6 Immoteus

Immoteus

Messias non est

• Member - Gold

• 849 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:52

Great review Siv! How do you like the silver clip on the reddish body? And is the box lacquered?
Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

#7 ralfstc

ralfstc

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 822 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:44

Great review, Siv, and lovely pictures.

I have a Shu (red) Nakaya, and have loved watching the urushi clear. It started off a slightly cloudy, almost plummy red but has become a brighter (and yet still subtle) red over the last few months with more to come, I'm sure.

Enjoy your new pen!

R.

#8 Escribiente

Escribiente

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:31

Thank you for the review. Looks like a beautiful pen to hold and write with.

#9 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2010 - 14:20

Great review on a great looking Dani, thanks.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#10 Siv

Siv

Inky fingers

• Member - Gold

• 2,766 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2010 - 14:52

Thanks for the comments!

Here's a pic next to a ruler - the perspective makes it seem as though the pen is larger but the bottom of the barrel is right at the 0. Nib to barrel it's a tiny bit under 5".
Posted Image

For me, gripping at the section, the pen sits nicely on my hand. With my stubby fingers there is an ample inch overhang of the area between thumb and finger which makes the pen feel very secure in hand. It's a bit larger than a Nakaya Piccolo which most seem not to have a problem holding. I find the pen fits perfectly clipped into my shirt pocket.

It does not post!

The red in my initial photos is a bit brighter than it looks in normal life. In this new photo it appears a little darker than usual. I like the silver and dark red contrast. I'm actually thinking of plating the nib in rhodium to complete the look.
Posted Image
Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

#11 jde

jde

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,694 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 18:29

Thanks for posting the photo with the pen next to the ruler! Oh dear... a Danitrio to come into my life?

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August
...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

#12 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,712 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 18:31

Thanks for posting the photo with the pen next to the ruler! Oh dear... a Danitrio to come into my life?

Go for it, J! I have two, with one in the planning stages. <3!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#13 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,293 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 19:15

These come in more colors. I think you need one.

see middle tray.
Posted Image

2019 San Francisco Pen Show        
August 23-25th, 2019
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#14 PianoMan14

PianoMan14

The Grumpy Fuzzball

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 21:02

Do you own all those, AltecGreen?

:yikes:
Soli Deo Gloria!

Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out!

#15 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,293 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 21:07

Do you own all those, AltecGreen?

:yikes:

Unfortunately no.

This was a pic from the LA pen show from winedoc's display. One person did buy the entire tray of Genkai(lower tray) as soon as they were put out.

I did think about buying the entire tray of the Takumis (upper tray) for a few minutes.

2019 San Francisco Pen Show        
August 23-25th, 2019
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#16 reprieve

reprieve

tightrope walker

• Member - Gold

• 2,943 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 22:23

This is a great review, Siv! The photo next to the ruler is fantastically helpful for those wondering how "short" the Short Octagon really is!

I received mine two days ago: clipless, in the brown and orange Ki-dame finish. I absolutely love the size and shape of this pen! So much so that I'm really very tempted to order one (or two!) of those rainbow urushi Octagons. I need to keep telling myself that I don't need any more pens!

#17 pay

pay

PAY

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:41

Great review and pix. I didn't know I could use my fellowship pen as an eyedropper!

Not to hijack the thread but where do I find a tray like the one the Genkais are in?
I have been looking for big channel trays without much success.
Whatever it is, I'm against it!
-Grouch Marx as Prof. Quincy Adams Wagstaff

#18 Immoteus

Immoteus

Messias non est

• Member - Gold

• 849 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:35

Great review and pix. I didn't know I could use my fellowship pen as an eyedropper!

Not to hijack the thread but where do I find a tray like the one the Genkais are in?
I have been looking for big channel trays without much success.

Ask Winedoc, I believe he has them custom made for the over-sized pens.
Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

#19 Siv

Siv

Inky fingers

• Member - Gold

• 2,766 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:32

Some more pics!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 alvarez57

alvarez57

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:02

I tell ya... I don't know why WHYI keep watching every review on Danitrios and Nakatas.....especially when I recently bought another pen...Posted Image

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Sponsored Content

|