Parker 65

wspohn

I don't see much talk about these pens, and wonder why not. I guess the limited production period and the fact that they seem to have been sold offshore means that there aren't a whole lot in circulation.

I couldn't resist one with a gorgeous crosshatched heavy gold plated cap, in a grey/green (Navy grey?) colour, Consort, never inked, with double jewels like an early 51.

The nib is quite similar to a 75 and of course I inked it as soon as it showed up in the mail and it writes much like a 75 as well. You don't have to fiddle with the suspect and easily clogged capillary filling mechanism of the early 61.

Does anyone else collect these? I think I'll ink this one up and use it awhile just to properly make its acquaintance.

Also received a nice little turquoise lacque Parker 95 I picked up for my wife - couldn't resist at 11 pounds (Sterling, not avoirdupois!) Got to continue to lure her away from 'my' pens!

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JimStrutton

• wspohn

• maxrhino

• goodguy

Bill,

Similar feelings here, I snuck a nice 65 Flighter off fleabay a few weeks back. Hardly used, but somebody had left black ink to dry in it so it was a bit of a job to clean it out, but now I have, WOW, what a surprising pen. Mine has a big fat bold Broad nib in it and with an ink that shades it is fantastic.

Never thought you would see me going on about an open nib pen like that. I think that because the size is the same as a 61 and close to the "51" it sort of fits my hand expectation.

Now all you got to do is keep SWMBO away from it or you will lose that one too :ltcapd: :roflmho:

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Now all you got to do is keep SWMBO away from it or you will lose that one too :ltcapd: :roflmho:

Jim

The 95 is the bait, and pretty good bait I should think. I would never liken the fairer sex to magpies, but the flashy colourful things do seem to attract both and this 95 should pull her eyes like a worm pulls that old trout from under the log!

Of course she could say pretty much the same thing about men being attracted by different kinds of flash (cars? other women?) and it would be just as true.

As an avowed 75 fan, the 95 comes off as second best, but I think it is still miles ahead of the old Arrows and is an acceptable and useful pen for SWMBO.

We shall see if she 'rises to the bait'........will keep you posted (I can see the old trout rising in my mind's eye!).

Reclaimed Duofold Centennial last night ostensibly to 'clean' it. Did so and reinked it. She came prowling around asking about it even though I'd given her a couple of others. Had to compromise and told her I'd leave it where she could find it. Expect it might migrate back to her desk again. She likes it for cards and notes (the broad stub writes a bit large for regular use, but the line variation is certainly seductive).

Am resigned to never winning the over-all battle, but getting ahead momentarily would be nice once in awhile.... :rolleyes: I may have to find out what colour she really hates using or something.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

Robert Fripp

Parker 65 goes for hi prices on eBay and I know many people like it.Just like you I cant believe nobody is talking about these reltivly rare/beautiful pens.

I have:

1 65 Plastic with stainless cap.

1 65 Flighter

1 65 GF that I ordered from England and I cant wait to get it.

The 65 GF is a dream of mine for a while and now I got the guts and money to buy it.

Go go Parker 65

Respect to all

Forgive my asking: What is SWMBO stand for?

She who must be obeyed (a reference to the novel by H. Rider Haggard, but more recently and popularly to Rumpole of the Bailey who referred to his wife thusly)

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

Robert Fripp

I have a swmbooe.

I also have a 65 Custom three set which still has the chalk marks on the pen and pencil.

I am loathe to ink it and wear them off.

I've picked up the one below today.Apparantly in good nick.

For now it's the appearance of the pen that appeals to me.

When the new one arrives i'll be able to see what they write like.

I seem to be concentrating on 61's and 65's at the moment.The power of six.

It's a familiarity issue with 65's.

If more people saw and handled one they'd be 'nearly' up there with 51's.

Now if this cap were on a 51, they'd be raving about it:

http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/i/non-rhodo/greyconsortcap.jpg

My only other 65 is also a real winner (IMHO) - a Cumulus finish.

http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/i/non-rhodo/36_1.JPG

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

Robert Fripp

Now if this cap were on a 51, they'd be raving about it:

http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/i/non-rhodo/greyconsortcap.jpg

I have one of those on a 61 and they are great caps. I think that you can have one modified to fit a "51" if you ever get lucky and find a spare one.

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Does anybody know about the jewels on the 65?

My 65 Flighter has what I believe are gold plated jewels not plastic like the jewels on the 61 Flighter that I also have. Is this a date thing or what, does anybody know?

Thanks,

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Good morning Jim,

The jewels on 65's do seem to be a date thing, I have several Flighters and standard plastic/gold fill versions and the later of the two flighters has gold jewels and the earlier plastic grey pearlescent ones. I know the relative ages of the pens as they have been in the family since new.

Whilst on the subject of 65's does anyone know where to get spare barrel/section connecting rings?

I have a couple of otherwise perfectly good pens sitting around with broken rings which is a shame, any help would be much appreciated.

The 65 series are underated pens and long may it remain so, the 61 and 51 are well known, deservedly popular and widely sought after fetching big money for certain models, the good thing about that is that as long as the 65 is overshadowed by them then the more likely it is that there will be bargains about for those that know and appreciate them. ;)

Cheers, John.

P.S. I hope the Griz doesn't try one or there won't be any left in the wild. :D

Thanks for the info John, which would make my 65 a later version than my 61.

As to Old Griz, hopefully he is so tied up with his new Vac tool and buying any Vac that crosses his sights, we could be safe for a week or so. Having said that he was totally Sheaffer a while back and now look what's happened :(

Jim

Obi Won WD40

[she who must be obeyed (a reference to the novel by H. Rider Haggard, but more recently and popularly to Rumpole of the Bailey who referred to his wife thusly)]

Thanks wspohn: This is cute. Learn something new everyday.

Raymond W.

Can someone tell me how to put quotes in the post, please?

I seem to get different results than others when using the QUOTE button. See post above.

Just click on the Quote button , then type what you want in the box.

Your message should look like this :

(QUOTE)Just type what you want here (/QUOTE)

* I had to use round brackets to demonstrate - the square ones are actually used [ ]

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

Thanks for the info John, which would make my 65 a later version than my 61.

As to Old Griz, hopefully he is so tied up with his new Vac tool and buying any Vac that crosses his sights, we could be safe for a week or so. Having said that he was totally Sheaffer a while back and now look what's happened :(

Jim

I won't be looking for any 65s for a while... I still have a couple of 51 Vacs I am looking for...

Of course I am expecting a very special 51 Vac and hopefully it will arrive today

Of course I am expecting a very special 51 Vac and hopefully it will arrive today

Come on then, 'fes up, wotcha bought now? :doh:

Jim

Obi Won WD40

The 65 series are underated pens and long may it remain so, the 61 and 51 are well known, deservedly popular and widely sought after fetching big money for certain models, the good thing about that is that as long as the 65 is overshadowed by them then the more likely it is that there will be bargains about for those that know and appreciate them. ;)

Good point.

Attention everyone! The Parker 65 is a low class unworthy model, which does not deserve your attention on Ebay....... /:)

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

Robert Fripp

Come on then, 'fes up, wotcha bought now? :doh:

Jim

You;ll see.... hopefully will post it today sometime....

If I got what I was told I am getting you are going to spit all over your monitor.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Attention everyone! The Parker 65 is a low class unworthy model, which does not deserve your attention on Ebay

As confirmed on a german website i saw last night.

PARKER 65

The PARKER 65 was manufactured 1969 to 1975,

one very short and logical period for a not very original

pen similar to the 61 but with a cap “mixes” of 51 and 61.

Manufactured primarily in economic matters.

(Excuse the google translation)

Not a picture of it either.

Gentlemen and ladies we have all got it horribly wrong.

I'm off home to jump up and down on my 65's.