Namiki Vanishing Point-Leaky

kekela98a

I have a similar issue with a new vanishing Point. It may be the ink, and will try a different one (using Diamine) with it to see what happens.

However, I replaced the convertor with a pilot cartridge, and find no leaks. It may be the Pilot ink, but I think it is more likely the CON-50 convertor that a lot of people have pointed out as a culprit. When I see the fit of the CON-50 that came with the pen, I think it is a bit loose compared to the cartridge.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gleemestr

• kekela98a

• SpecTP

• Len Durham

I have definitely found some inks are more leaky than others with the VP, even within the same manufacturer. This is with the same CON-50 that came with the pen over a year ago.

It is possible it could be your converter, but I'd try filling it with another ink or even water first and see if you still see the leakage. I though mine was originally broken too when trying a wetter ink, only to have it work perfectly after a flush and refill with one of my "standard" inks.

Got the new nibunit from Pilot Norway in the mail on Friday... Been carrying the pen with me every day and also using it.
Its has the Con-20 now. I will test with the Con 50 later

Faber Castell Carbon Black ink

Not a single drop on the "Nib unit", just on the Nib it self...

Conclusion: It was the Nibunit

http://i.imgur.com/y9iYQko.jpg

Edited by gleemestr

Theoretically, it could still be a problem with the fit of the converter on the nib unit. You could find out by trying a different converter on the old nib unit.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

I tried converter and cartridge on the old unit, 1 converter (con 50) and 2 cartridges...

Im gonna try the same converter on the new Nib unit within the week.

• 4 weeks later...

This has been my daily writer for the past 7-8 months given it's convenient one handed operation for around the office. But this this issue is starting to frustrate me too- I can deal with an inky nib. I bought this pen to be my daily work horse, and i is. So it doesn't get the same protection other pens in my collection to, and is not without it's blemishes.

What's starting to frustrate me is that no matter how much I flush the feed there's always some ink of the previous colour left in there somewhere. Once it starts to leak, whatever ink I used previously complicates the tone of my current choice. Anyway, like I said, work horse. I have other pens for signing official documents in black so I guess it doesn't matter much if my blue ink becomes purple, or my orange ink becomes green. Just a gripe, that's all.

Also my Con-50 converter is super stuck. Any thoughts on that?

My capless decimo came with a paper stating that it is usual for the nib unit to have ink on it. Bothe of my capless pens do but it is notban issue for me atball except when changing carts at which time I just whipe off the ink and hold the unit with tisdue paper to change carts. Has not affected writing at all for me and I have yet to get inky fingers while writing with these pens.

• 3 months later...

Gleemestr/Bemon any updates?

I have the same ink leak issue which bothers me to such a degree that I can't use the pens (I have three of them!) and also my converter is "super stuck".

Nothing special - I was using Mont Blanc black ink in the converter but am now using a Pilot blue cartridge. I don't think the issue is caused by the body, because I have also now put the nib unit into an older VP pen body and the problem still occurs although the ink now appearing on the nib unit is far less than before, so that's progress. It's still early days on this test (ie the diffrent body and the Pilot cartridge) so I'm not making my mind up yet. I have changed two variable of course so if it seems much better after a while, I will then try the nib in the first pen again and see how it is with the cartridge (and report back).So far it does look a bit better.

What ink are you using?

Edited by Len Durham