Namiki Vanishing Point-Leaky

kekela98a

I've started using my Namiki VP again after a hiatus. I've noticed the body of the nib would be soaked with ink after a hour of writing. Thinking it was the nib, I switched to another nib with the same result. I also cleaned the VP body and still have the same result. Does anyone here know what's going on?

Thansk

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gleemestr

• kekela98a

• SpecTP

• Len Durham

There are several possible reasons from the nib assembly to the contraption that retracts it back and forth. Have you been using many red inks? These have apparently caused problems from some posts that I have read. Make sure that you clean out the body also; if you have a syringe or baby ear dropper to shoot water through it. that helps If that doesn't work, I would send it to Pilot as I have done with a few VP's through the years', good service and rapid return.

I've started using my Namiki VP again after a hiatus. I've noticed the body of the nib would be soaked with ink after a hour of writing. Thinking it was the nib, I switched to another nib with the same result. I also cleaned the VP body and still have the same result. Does anyone here know what's going on?

Thansk

I've had the same problem with Noodler's bulletproof inks, the inks that have so much nib creep. I went back to Pilot ink for my two VPs and the leaking stopped. I love Noodler's inks, but not in those two pens.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

I've had exactly the same problem with one of my Pilot nib units. I bought a replacement nib unit; then discovered the new nib unit was also covered in ink. I came to the conclusion that it was the pen barrel which was damaged.

After careful examination and comparison with my other Pilot Capless bodies I realised the spring mechanism in the end sits much further forward than in the others and appears to foul the nib as it is extended and retracted.

I note the comments about Pilot service but I think I have probably damaged this myself with aggressive cleaning of the inside of the barrel using a long thin brush. This is what I have always used to clean out pen barrels and caps -- but other pens don't have a precision spring mechanism in the end!!

None of my nib units are covered with ink when used in my other Pilot Capless pens.

An expensive lesson learned -- I now only clean out my pens using a syringe.

Malcolm Webb, Lincoln UK

When somebody asks me what Rotary is all about

I tell them it's all about Fun, Fellowship & Caring Service.

I would send it to Pilot. They'll fix it as they value their reputation more than it's worth for them to fuss over repairing such a fault (most likely just replacing the pen).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Thansk

What are you asking? What does "body of nib" refer to?

The actual VP body or the "nib unit" itself?

Do you see an excessive amount of ink coming out of the

air exchange hole of the nib unit?

Does this only happen with a full converter or cartridge?

You say you write for an hour, if the pen is really in your hand that

long and you can reproduce your leak with another nib unit

this what happens when ink warms up and expands. From what

your question states this is only happening after long term writing?

Thansk

What are you asking? What does "body of nib" refer to?

The actual VP body or the "nib unit" itself?

Do you see an excessive amount of ink coming out of the

air exchange hole of the nib unit?

Does this only happen with a full converter or cartridge?

You say you write for an hour, if the pen is really in your hand that

long and you can reproduce your leak with another nib unit

this what happens when ink warms up and expands. From what

your question states this is only happening after long term writing?

I'm a physician, so I write quite a bit during the course of the day. The "nib body" would be soaked with ink after a couple of clicks. I tried the same nib body on two other VPs and it was fine, so I guess something is wrong with the body of the carbonesque VP that I've been using.

I'm a physician, so I write quite a bit during the course of the day. The "nib body" would be soaked with ink after a couple of clicks. I tried the same nib body on two other VPs and it was fine, so I guess something is wrong with the body of the carbonesque VP that I've been using.

I may have been having the same issues you are describing. When you say "nib body," are you referring to the portion of the nib housed within the pen?

My issue was after a few clicks and some use, there would almost be a hemorrhaging of ink, and it would run down from where the nib connected to the converter and bathe, well, everything. I tried different inks from Noodler's bulletproof to Waterman's Florida blue, all producing the same results.

My solution was to stop using it. I looked into having it fixed as well as replacing the entire unit - both of which were at a point beyond what I was willing to pay (so I bought a Nakaya instead :) ).

I may have been having the same issues you are describing. When you say "nib body," are you referring to the portion of the nib housed within the pen?

My issue was after a few clicks and some use, there would almost be a hemorrhaging of ink, and it would run down from where the nib connected to the converter and bathe, well, everything. I tried different inks from Noodler's bulletproof to Waterman's Florida blue, all producing the same results.

My solution was to stop using it. I looked into having it fixed as well as replacing the entire unit - both of which were at a point beyond what I was willing to pay (so I bought a Nakaya instead :) ).

That's exactly the problem. I've sent the pen to the Namiki repair center today...I guess I'll have to see how much it'll be to fix this problem. If it's too much I'd rather buy a decimo.

That's exactly the problem. I've sent the pen to the Namiki repair center today...I guess I'll have to see how much it'll be to fix this problem. If it's too much I'd rather buy a decimo.

I would love to hear the resolution to your ordeal. Please provide an update when you get one.

Thanks,

Didanawisgi

• 6 years later...

This is how my nibs looks like after some hours of use. I have contacted Pilot Norway regarding this:

http://i.imgur.com/iWCatkT.jpg

To me, it looks like an ink problem. Use a safe ink, like Pilot, Waterman or Quink. If the problem disappears, then it is the ink.

Dave

I had a similar issue that was the result of using an ink with a very low threshold for surface tension (Noodler's Bad Blue Heron in my case). Did a full flush and switched to a different ink and the issue disappeared.

The ink in the picture is Waterman Intense Black.
Tried with 2 Pilot Iroshizuku, 1 Pelikan edelstein and a Sailor nano pigmentet (was hard to clean).

I had a similar issue with one of my VPs with a con-50. I would fill it up and it would dump ink. Turned out to be a problem with the converter: for whatever reason, it was screwing down, maybe from the action of the mechanism. I changed converters, problem solved...

ETA: I use Noodler's Black without any problems...

Edited by ehemem

Also, make sure that the converter is fully seated. Sometimes you have to press very firmly.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

I will try without the con50... also, Pilot Norway wanted to send me a new nibunit, but from what i have been reading here it might not sort out the issue.

Ill report back later.

I've been using my VP for 2months on a regular basis every day. No leaks of any kind. Using J Herbin ink.

Some inks will cause problems... that dreaded nib creep. Because of the Pilot VP nib assembly design, the breather hole can come into contact with the inner section chamber, facilitating capillary flow with some inks... creating a mess. Also, there can be an issue with how well the converter is seated.

So the first thing to do in troubleshooting this is to switch to a cartridge and see what happens. If that solves the problem, install the converter with a different ink that is known not to suffer nib creep. If that works, then that would pin it down to the other ink.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I use the original Pilot catridge, with the original pilot ink that came with it. Ill see over the weekend how it looks.

I have gotten a new shipment of different inks i can try aswell.

Do you guys have the laying down on your desk etc or carry them with you?
I have it in my bag almost every day, commuting back and forth to work.