Lamy Green

Sandy1

Preamble

• This Review is produced with the primary intent of generating relevant objective samples so that practitioners may accurately envision how this ink will look and behave using their pen/s on their paper/s.
  • To do this, pens and papers which I consider to be widely used and/or readily available (not too pricey or rare/exotic) are included.
  • As you can imagine, a fair bit of work goes into my Reviews, so I want that work to derive the greatest benefit.
  • If you feel that improvements can be made to the range of papers & pens, and means of sampling, please do not hesitate to send me a PM.
  • The use of a 'matched set' of Pelikan 'P99' pens (profoundly neutral & devoid of personality) once again revealed that getting uniform wetness is elusive: the <F> & <M> look very similar, but the <B> is wetter. Ah me!

<=:-:=>~<=:-:=>~<=:-:=>~<=:-:=>~<=:-:=>~<=:-:=>~<=:-:=>~<=:-:=>~<=:-:=>~<=:-:=>~<=:-:=>

Date: March 13, 2010

Brand: Lamy

Name: Green (Grn)

Bottle: Yes, 50 ml.

Pens:

• Pelikan 'P99' : <F>, <M> & <B>

• Pilot '78G' <F>

• Waterman 'Phileas' <F>

• Pilot 'Prera' <M>

• Lamy 'Safari' <M>

• Sheaffer 'No Nonsense' <M>

• Waterman 'Charleston' <M>

• Pelikan 'M200' <1.0mm Stub> Binder

Papers:

• HP1124 Laser Copy, Letter

• Clairefontaine 'Triomphe', A4

• G. Lalo 'Verge de France', white, A4

General Description:

• An orphan ink that no one I know would willingly take home.
  • I find it hard to imagine ink of this colour being used in a business setting, other than mark-up or editing. Use in graphs, illustrations, diagrams, and other non-text applications seems suitable.
  • For personal correspondence: Forget it, one may well be shunned. Letters written in this ink will go unanswered.
  • For billet doux: Impossible. Grounds for psychological and/or relationship counseling. Such use draws a mandatory minimum sentence of 5 weeks on the sofa.
  • Those whose station mandates the use of Green ink should look elsewhere: this ink will undermine whatever authority/respect your station would otherwise elicit.
  • Mixed-gender couples endeavouring to have children should avoid this ink.
  • This ink should not be used to mark occasions such as Christmas, St. Patrick's Day, Rites of Spring, etc.
  • Eureka, I have it! :eureka: This ink is so benign that it can be used for correction of student work: this ink is a 'smurf', one could get hit between the eyes with it, and that would not elicit so much as a blink. Tender psyches are safe! Hoorah!!

Box:

• The box top shows a colour 'dot' that is not the least bit representative of the colour of the ink : rather like photos of menu items.
  • Diagrams printed on the inner flaps of the box illuminate the 'dimpled bottom' shaped glass bottle, inserting a pen into the bottle, and the use of the blotter tissue.

Bottle:

• The unlabeled bottle functions very well actually. It is a stable cylinder, 2 1/2" (6 cm) base diameter; with a centred top opening of 1" (2.5 cm).
  • The lid is green colour, made of soft plastic with adequate grip.
  • Having a 'dimpled bottom' allows the maximum amount of ink to be drawn into the pen. However, if there is sediment in the ink, it may well accumulate in the dimple (oops!)
  • The blotter tissue is best drawn from its dispenser when the cap is secured.
  • Unless one manages to remove the plastic blotter tape dispenser from the glass bottle, it cannot be easily recycled. And on a 'Green' ink bottle! Bah!

Flow / Lubrication:

• Flows easily in all clean writing implements.
  • Lubrication is unremarkable.

Drying Time: 2 to 4 seconds.

Feathering: Only from a fully loaded dip pen. Absent on FP samples.

Bleedthrough: Only with dip pen sample.

Shading: Modest.

Waterproof: You must be joking - not at all.

Nib Creep: None.

Staining: None in any of the pens used.

Note: For obvious reasons, this ink remained in the pens only long enough to conduct this review.

Clogging: None.

Saturation: Low - even in a wet Binder Stub!

Dilution:

• A 1:1 mix showed a weakening of this colour, and also degraded line quality.
  • Not recommended when tight lines [on illustrations] are required.

Appearance: Hiding. A new nadir.

Odour: Ink. Unscented.

Clean-up: Easily removed from all pens except the 'Phileas' for some unknown reason.

Comparison: Don't tempt me.

Summary:

• I bought this ink hoping to find a colour close to a 'process' green, that would be toe-to-toe across from magenta on the colour wheel, and so be useful for mixing inks. Such was not the case.
  • Now I know why this ink does not have an entry in the Ink Review Index: no one would admit to having it.
  • The alt use may well be to tint the water in a vase of flowers.

Scans:

• Created using an Epson V600. Factory software & other defaults were accepted: 300 dpi & 24-bit colour.
  • The image was not adjusted other than cropping and compression using iPhoto on a MacBook.

Once again, a passage from 'Treasure Island' was lovingly transcribed.

First Page :

HP Laser Copy 24 lb.

Swab & dip pen samples. (WFB included to casually colour calibrate your eye.)

Written samples: Pelikan 'P99' <F>, <M> & <B> nibs.

Dry Time: 2 seconds

Scale: 3" & 8 cm.

Wet Tests: Rain Drop. Soak - blank.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/FPN019.jpg

spacer.png

Second Page :

Clairefontaine 'Triomphe'

Written samples:

• Pelikan 'P99' <F>, <M> & <B> nibs.
  • Pilot '78G' <F>
  • Waterman 'Phileas' <F>
  • Pilot 'Prera' <M>
  • Lamy 'Safari' <M>

Dry Time: 2 seconds

Scale: 4" & 8 cm.

Wet Tests : Rain Drop. (Pointless to show soak.)

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/FPN020.jpg

spacer.png

Third Page :

G Lalo 'Verge de France', white.

Note: IMHO this paper has the 'hardest' finish, hence the most dry of those used in this Review.

Written samples:

• Pelikan 'P99' <F>, <M> & <B> nibs.
  • Pilot '78G' <F>
  • Waterman 'Phileas' <F>
  • Pilot 'Prera' <M>
  • Lamy 'Safari' <M>

Dry Time: 4 seconds

Scale: 4" & 8 cm.

Wet Tests : Rain Drop. (Pointless to show soak.)

https://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/FPN021.jpg

Broken

Last Page :

• Grey scale and colour swatches.
  • A pen-generated sample of the Lamy 'Green' and the exquisite Caran d'Ache 'Amazon'.
  • Swirlies made using the back of a dip pen nib - intended to show potential density range of the colour.
  • Shingle sample of down-stroke of all pens & nibs on all papers used in this Review. This also makes the base-tint of each paper more evident.

https://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/FPN022.jpg

Broken

My penmanship has not improved, but...

-30-

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• bwnewton

• Bo Bo Olson

• smwknits

Sandy, that is a well thought out, comprehensive, and exhaustive review of an underwhelming ink. It gives such a complete understanding of how all the various nibs, and all the variations one might think of. I especially love how well that idea of the overlapping paper types that we discussed turned out at the end. It is obvious how much time and thought you put into this. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :notworthy1:

• Now I know why this ink does not have an entry in the Ink Review Index: no one would admit to having it.
  • The alt use may well be to tint the water in a vase of flowers.

Love your sense of humor!!! :roflmho:

It is especially surprising to see this color, when you think of how nice Lamy blue looks.

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I admit to having it! Bought it intentionally even after someone gave me a cartridge of it for testing. I describe it as "Easter-basket-grass-green." Not my favorite green but it does look good on Moleskine Cahier paper and for some underlining. Some kids like notes written with it

I also admit that I don't use it much, but I don't plan on getting rid of it either except by use, including some mixing with other Lamy inks.

Oh, thanks for the review, seriously. :)

I actually feel that Lamy Green has single handedly received more recognition in this one review that it ever has before, or likely ever deserved.

After this review I am pretty sure I will never even consider buying this ink.

Thanks!

Nice review, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

If there is one time of the year to use this ink, this is it--Easter. If you send cards, especially to children, this would be a good ink to use. As I stated earlier, it reminds me of the plastic grass one puts in Easter baskets. It does come across a bit richer on Ampad Gold Fibre planning pads.

To my eye, it comes across a bit brighter than the scan in the review. Of course, it might just be my monitor, too.

Edited by bwnewton

This ink is the color of the plastic grass that comes in sushi takeout and doesn't deserve such a well-spoken, informative and excellent review!

Hats off to a Master Reviewer!!

A fantastic review- many thanks. Wish that I could say the same for the ink :( Light, bright greens are just not my thing, in fact I PIF'd a bottle of old MB Emerald Green a while back after re-discovering it in a bottom drawer.

David

A fantastic review- many thanks. Wish that I could say the same for the ink :( Light, bright greens are just not my thing, in fact I PIF'd a bottle of old MB Emerald Green a while back after re-discovering it in a bottom drawer.

Hi,

Yessir, that seems to be the consensus : "Worthwhile review, and thanks for warning me away."

I really do try to keep my objectivity, but in this case - not so much.

Hopefully the scans speak volumes more than I possibly can.

I am really glad that I did not associate anyone with this ink: it would've been a grievous albatross.

Best Regards,

Sandy1

I enjoyed reading through your evalution... It provided quite a few laughs. I found myself really wanting to like to the ink, just to have an, "aw, it isn't so bad...". But, you were quite accurate in your enjoyable comments.

Thanks! (I think this is my new favorite ink review)

• 2 weeks later...

Aaaagh! I just receivedthis ink in the mail today. I went on an internet ink buying binge, without bothering to check for reviews. Oh, well. Any opinions on mixing this with black? I've never done any ink mixing--- yet. thanks for any opinions or advice.

Edited by smwknits

Aaaagh! I just receivedthis ink in the mail today. I went on an internet ink buying binge, without bothering to check for reviews. Oh, well. Any opinions on mixing this with black? I've never done any ink mixing--- yet. thanks for any opinions or advice.

This ink looks pretty good on Field Notes or Moleskine Cahiers. It also is a richer green when used on Ampad Gold Fibre Planning Pads (grid on 1 side, lined on the other), which is my everyday office note taking paper.

This ink looks pretty good on Field Notes or Moleskine Cahiers. It also is a richer green when used on Ampad Gold Fibre Planning Pads (grid on 1 side, lined on the other), which is my everyday office note taking paper.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I can get Moleskine Cahiers locally-- I have in the past. I also have a little ecole notebook I picked up at MOMA I can try the green on.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I can get Moleskine Cahiers locally-- I have in the past. I also have a little ecole notebook I picked up at MOMA I can try the green on.

If I remember correctly, it tends to look better over time on the cahiers-- or was it Field Notes?

On 4/14/2010 at 5:06 PM, smwknits said:

Hi,

No big deal - mostly.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/FPN114.jpg

spacer.png

• Top two swabs: Lamy Green + Noodler's Firefly (1:1) gave us a not too jumpy high lighter colour.
  • 3rd Swab: A bit unexpected result, a middling Purple. Not too too bad. Might improve a tad if a pale/dilute Blue is added, such as Herbin 'Bleu Azur'.
  • 5th Swab: Adding Green to Brown might move the Brown into an interesting place. But not the case with my only Brown, Pilot yama-guri.
  • 7 & 10th Swabs: With Waterman Florida Blue, a passable Teal can be mixed. (1:1 & 1:2)
  • 9th Swab: With a small (20%) amount of Waterman Florida Blue, it's possible to fake a Turquoise, but really : not so much.

Also, you might want to try mixing with a Red, say 1:1 to start.

Let us know if you get anything wonderful or beyond.

Wow! Thanks, S1. You did a really nice job of mixing there. I like all the bottom four, especially the "fake Turquoise". I picked up a dip pen today which will come in handy for playing with colors this weekend. Thanks again!

Excellent review. But, you deserve a better ink :rolleyes: Perhaps a J. Herbin or (even better) Pilot Iroshizuku.

Before, I wasn't planning on buying Lamy Green. Now I will stay away from it like the plague.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out!

Excellent review. But, you deserve a better ink :rolleyes: Perhaps a J. Herbin or (even better) Pilot Iroshizuku.

Before, I wasn't planning on buying Lamy Green. Now I will stay away from it like the plague.

Hi,

Glad you liked the Review. Thanks for the tips!

I do have the Caran d'Ache 'Amazon', Visconti Green and the now-discontinued Montblanc 'Racing Green'. So I think I'm covered.

Somehow, I don't care for the Pilot iro Green offerings: After their Blues, Grays & a Brown I stopped at ku-jaku. Nope - the softer more 'lyrical' Greens, the darker 'olive' greens, or the off-brown muddled colours just don't jingle my rowels.

But that's not to say that one won't sneak onto the ink shelf.

Ah - Pear Tree samples, for the once in a blue moon use.

Bye,

S1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Concerns have been voiced about bandwidth. In response, some images were deleted.

ByeBye

S1