Who's got a Lamy Safari?

Fuddlestack

Have you a Lamy Safari?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Do you possess a Lamy Safari, or are you on the point of getting one

• Yes
    • No

I love the Safari's, particularly because they are so colorful, and durable. I carry a Lime Green with a medium point. It writes very smoothly. I also have 4 others, but I haven't loaded them because I have enjoyed the lime green color so much. In addition, I have 6 of the Safari ballpoints, and 2 All Stars. I like that a broad tip is available in the ballpoint. Like others, I appreciate the Safari fountain pens as a great knock around pen.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fuddlestack

• Iranna

• Lamylady

• dexaco

My medium charcoal Safari is my 3rd recent fountain pen, other than the cheap Sheaffers at school 30 years ago. My first was a Pilot Birdie fine. Very scratchy. My second one is a restored Eclipse. Not bad, but not perfect. Compared to those two, my Safari is amazingly smooth. I use mine every day and really enjoy it.

Guy

lamy safari is my first foreign fountain pen .and i like it very much. mine is m nib,it is a little large to me.

writing! funny!

I'd like one of those mellow yellow ones with the black clip. You still see them in the commercial sites but the current model is a more lemon colour with a chrome clip - not so pretty by far.

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.

They're not the prettiest looking pens on the market, but they're cheap, tough, reliable and are available in good variety of nib sizes.

I'm not a fan of them. They seem to have problems with consistency (QC), in that some people get good ones and. . . some don't. It also seems that the converters in particular tend to have problems, in terms of not sealing well. There have been a fair number of reported pens that worked well with cartridges but not with the converter.

Having said all that, I have two Safaris.

I'm thinking of inking the yellow one with BSB, just to see if it melts or turns blue.

They're not the prettiest looking pens on the market, but they're cheap, tough, reliable and are available in good variety of nib sizes.

I'm not a fan of them. They seem to have problems with consistency (QC), in that some people get good ones and. . . some don't. It also seems that the converters in particular tend to have problems, in terms of not sealing well. There have been a fair number of reported pens that worked well with cartridges but not with the converter.

Having said all that, I have two Safaris.

I'm thinking of inking the yellow one with BSB, just to see if it melts or turns blue.

That's odd. I've heard the total opposite about their converters! I also think Lamy converters are among the best (have the best seal) even if I'm not a Lamy fan otherwise.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

There are different converterts for different pens. They are not interchangeable. The Safari and AL-Star need a Z24 converter, the others won't fit properly and leak, I don't know why because the cartridges are the same for all Lamy pens, even the very expensive Lamy CP1 pt.

A Blue Safari was my first Lamy, presented to me by my friends on my birthday many years ago(I cherish that pen). Subsequently I bought several Lamys higher in the lineup like the CP1 and Lamy2000.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

There are different converterts for different pens. They are not interchangeable. The Safari and AL-Star need a Z24 converter, the others won't fit properly and leak, I don't know why because the cartridges are the same for all Lamy pens, even the very expensive Lamy CP1 pt.

Well, I wouldn't know about the others - I was referring to the converter the Safari uses.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I have several Safaris as well as quite a few other Lamy pens. I like to use my Safaris and I'm happy to give them away to youngsters who are interested in the idea of a fountain pen.

David

I have two Safaris and an Al-Star. I like the ruggedness, the cool colors and the smoothness of the nib. I'm not particularly fond of the grip. When I'm holding the pen, I tend to put my thumb more on top, which means I'm holding it at the angular edges of the grip rather than on the flat areas.

I'm considering replacing my Lamys if I can find something that works better for me at about the same price point. The Pilot 78G is a promising candidate, though my first one had flow issues, which I've apparently resolved after some tinkering.

Robert M. Kerwin

I have two Safaris and an Al-Star. I like the ruggedness, the cool colors and the smoothness of the nib. I'm not particularly fond of the grip. When I'm holding the pen, I tend to put my thumb more on top, which means I'm holding it at the angular edges of the grip rather than on the flat areas.

I'm considering replacing my Lamys if I can find something that works better for me at about the same price point. The Pilot 78G is a promising candidate, though my first one had flow issues, which I've apparently resolved after some tinkering.

Alternatively, you could try the Lamy nexx. About the same price range as the Safari, but a much less prominent grip and the same feeder and nib system.

I have two Safaris and an Al-Star.  I like the ruggedness, the cool colors and the smoothness of the nib.  I'm not particularly fond of the grip.  When I'm holding the pen, I tend to put my thumb more on top, which means I'm holding it at the angular edges of the grip rather than on the flat areas.

I'm considering replacing my Lamys if I can find something that works better for me at about the same price point.  The Pilot 78G is a promising candidate, though my first one had flow issues, which I've apparently resolved after some tinkering.

Alternatively, you could try the Lamy nexx. About the same price range as the Safari, but a much less prominent grip and the same feeder and nib system.

+1 on the nexx, at least the nexx M, with the metal clip. I have three, but only two Safaris! The nexx has a soft grip - still triangulated, but no sharp corners like the Safari has. Metal body, too.

Me Me Me!!!!

I'm a little hot potato right meow

"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

I think they're ugly pens, I don't find the clip design to my liking, either, and I can't say I'm a fan of snap caps or triangular grips, either. But I wouldn't not recommend them if you get me!

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

Now the nexx I do find ugly.

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.

Now the nexx I do find ugly.

I totally agree. Two of my pupils write with them and I tested them. They write beautifully and feel more comfortable in my fingers then the Safari because the grip section is soft (feels a bit like thin rubber) and the contours are a lot less prominent than on the Safari.

One should never forget that the Safari and Al-Star are not designed for and marketed to the discerning adult collector B) but for schoolchildren. What I find ugly very often appeals a lot to my 10-17 year-old pupils.

I don't technically have a Safari, but voted yes anyway since the AL-star is really just a metal Safari.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple