• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fuddlestack

• Iranna

• Lamylady

• dexaco

I've got 2 both were early purchases when I returned to fountain pens.

A Charcoal and an Orange with 1.1 Italic,Medium and Fine nibs. These

are by far my best knock around pens.

I had a safari,is very sturdy but what I did not like about it was its looks,and the nib IMHO is not that special when writing,there are more pens that cost less and write better... :rolleyes:

CPSC

I have 3 - well, two (charcoal and yellow) and a Vista eyedropper.

But I also have 7 nibs for them EF, M, 2 Bs, 1.1, 1.5 and 1.9 italic

The charcoal is one of my daily writers (1.5 italic) and the Vista is loaded with R&K Helianthus for highlighting. The yellow one is set on EF at the moment, doesn't see that much action, but this can change at any given time.

I love the shape and the nibs. 

Pelikan 140 OB

Pelikan M605 blue F

Pelikan M200 transparent (Demonstrator Japan) M

Pelikan Level 65 yellow M

Pelikan Level 65 red B  

Pelikan Go! black/magenta M

Pelikan Go! black/petrol M

Pelikan M70/Go! (C/C) magenta B

Pelikan Steno red (70s)

Lamy Safari charcoal 1.5 mm italic

Lamy Safari yellow EF

Lamy Vista Eyedropper 1.9 mm italic

Reform P 120

2x Reform 1745

It and the Al-star are generally good performing pens and available in enough colors to make most happy with at least one. They posses what to me may be a near must have for ones "knock around pen" and that's the availibility of and inexpensiveness of replacment nibs that are easily replaceable by even Ham the Space Chimp. When it comes to their factory CI's, to me, at least in the 1.1 size, it's astoundingly good even without taking the about $11 price tag into account.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

i've decided to start a collection of safari limited edition color. Managed to get a lime green one at retail price from my school bookstore( ebay was selling for $70 :wacko: ) so i was really happy. next up is orange pink and white!

Please check out my blogshop for fountain pens and inks at http://inkoholicanonymous.blogspot.com/ Reviews of my pens can be found there too!

They posses what to me may be a near must have for ones "knock around pen" and that's the availibility of and inexpensiveness of replacment nibs that are easily replaceable by even Ham the Space Chimp.

I resemble that remark!

Charcoal, glossy black, and lime green Safaris plus an aluminum Al-Star for me (tho the wife has laid claim to the lime green Safari). I've decided to make a little ink journal of sorts, and I'm looking to pick up all the standard and italic nib Safari sizes to show what inks look like at different sizes (I'm down to two--check the link in my sig line if you've got any to trade). The nibs are easy to swap and the pens are easy to flush clean. That makes it a no-brainer for hardcore ink sampling.

As interesting as they are, I've got a Lamy pen that uses the same nib so I'm not just dying to get a Safari, although the grip on them does look nice! I'm refraining from buying any pens in that price range because I've already got a couple, and I want to save up for a couple of more expensive pens!

I've got one Safari (a clear Vista) and three AL-Stars, the aluminum version of the Safari. The cool thing with the AL-Star is that the section is translucent. That means you can put different nib and ink sections in the body of your choice as it strikes your fancy. You can't do that with the plastic safaris because the sections are the body color. The translucent sections also show how saturated the internal feed is with ink. I can use some "finicky" dry inks in the AL-Stars because I can contra-rotate the converter enough to fill the internal feed without going so far as to burp up any ink. Sorry the photo ain't so hot, but you can kinda get what I"m talking about.

The only thing I don't like is that they are a bit long for a shallow aloha shirt pocket. So my AL-Stars are usually limited to "jeans day" when I carry my pen in a belt holster.

http://homepage.mac.com/hdougmatsuoka/images/pen/LamyASB/LamyASBothNib2C.JPG

Doug

I have a red Safari (F) and a Vista (F). I think they're a little overhyped and the Fine line is way too thick for me. I may get an EF nib to see if it's any better. I've got two Waterman Kulturs that were cheaper and write better, IMO.

Reading the various posts in here, it seems to me that the Safari must be just about the most popular pen in the world. So I thought I'd find out how we stack up in here.

Yes, I own one and LOVE IT! :thumbup:

I've got two, a yellow EF and a pink 1.1. I liked them when they still wrote a thinner line (ie. when they were new), but in a few months the "EF" became more like an M, same with the italic. So they're much too broad for me now, and I don't use them anymore except very seldomly. It hasn't happened with any other pen that I have, so I have to blame it on Lamy...

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I got one a couple of months ago. Since my old Phileas began acting rather tempermental I needed a new pen to carry around in my pocket so I got a yellow Safari with a Fine nib. I was a bit hesitant to try one because I wasn't sure that I'd care for the contoured grip, but it's not all that bad.

It's not a great writer, but for the price it's not bad at all.

Assuming the Vista counts... YES! Great pen for a little money. If you can tough it out during the break in period (at least for the XF I got) it is well worth the wait. The originally dry, skippy XF nib is now quite reliable and a pleasure to write with. My first XF nib and if your taking notes... the XF is almost a must have.

Edited by GardenCity-NY

JC3

I started with a pink Safari with the 1.1 nib and enjoyed it so much that I bought an orange Safari with a 1.5 nib. Then, since the pink/orange/yellow color combination is one of my favorites, I got one of the yellow Safaris with a B nib. All of them are a lot of fun, smooth writers. No regrets here!

I've got two, a yellow EF and a pink 1.1. I liked them when they still wrote a thinner line (ie. when they were new), but in a few months the "EF" became more like an M, same with the italic. So they're much too broad for me now, and I don't use them anymore except very seldomly. It hasn't happened with any other pen that I have, so I have to blame it on Lamy...

How hard to you press when you write?

So far my Lamy nibs are as they always have been.

Too many pens; too many inks. But at least I've emptied two ink bottles now.

How hard to you press when you write?

So far my Lamy nibs are as they always have been.

That's the funny thing - I press very minimally and all my other pens are fine (I mean the condition, not the nib!). Maybe it's a flow issue rather than a tine one, I don't know. They have become wetter with age, I know that much.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I had a dream about the Lamy Safari last night (don't judge me I didn't ask for it :) ) and until then I hadn't thought of getting one. Now I'm considering saving up.

"What a piece of work is a man, how noble in reason, how

infinite in faculties, in form and moving how express and

admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like

a god! the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals"

-William Shakespeare