The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Who's got a Lamy Safari?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

Poll: Have you a Lamy Safari? (361 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you possess a Lamy Safari, or are you on the point of getting one

1. Yes (321 votes [88.92%])

Percentage of vote: 88.92%

2. No (40 votes [11.08%])

Percentage of vote: 11.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Fuddlestack

Fuddlestack

I enjoy defeating inanimate objects

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2010 - 16:35

Reading the various posts in here, it seems to me that the Safari must be just about the most popular pen in the world. So I thought I'd find out how we stack up in here.

Edited by Fuddlestack, 20 March 2010 - 17:26.

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.

Sponsored Content

#2 Spector

Spector

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2010 - 16:36

safari's are pretty ubiquitous because of their excellent price and quality. I'm not really surprised that there would be a lot of safari owners out there.
Posted Image "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" -Aldous Huxley

Parker 45 F, Lamy Safari EF, Lamy 2000 F, TWSBI Diamond 530 F, Reform 1745 F, Hero 616 F, Pilot Varsity F, Pilot 78g F,

#3 PianoMan14

PianoMan14

The Grumpy Fuzzball

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 16:36

My first pen was a Pelikan m215, and I don't intend to go down in quality except for a 'knock-a-bout' pen, which I don't really need at the moment.
Soli Deo Gloria!

Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out!

#4 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,102 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2010 - 16:37

Just picked up my second Safari in extra fine nib and love it!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#5 PacificCoastPen

PacificCoastPen

Key in a Socket

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2010 - 16:38

Great for sketching. If I lose one, I won't cry. Not scared to share it with newbies to write with. A good starter gift.
Check out this new flickr page for pen wraps https://www.flickr.com/photos/99441859@N05/

#6 Anna Cecilia

Anna Cecilia

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 16:44

I've never really liked c/c fillers and on top of that I think Lamy Safaris are hideous, just a matter of personal taste. I'll believe they're good pens and think it's great there are good quality, inexpensive, easily available pens out there, but there are plenty of other good pens out there I'd rather use so I'll pass.

#7 irbyls

irbyls

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 16:48

I don't own a Safari, but I do love my green Al-Star. :)
-irbyls

#8 jaqcp

jaqcp

Still under construction.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2010 - 16:55

My wife and two sons have Safaris and Al-Stars. They LOVE them and have no complaints. The kids think they are cool and my wife's Al-Star is the new raspberry color, so they really do look good. In time, I will get one for myself and my other son, just to "keep up," but for now I am very satisfied with my Parkers 45, Insignia, and Inflection fountain pens for carrying and the Parker 51 and two Sheaffer Touchdowns that all exist as desk pens in my home.

In this age of text, twitter, skype and email, receiving a good old-fashioned hand-written letter feels just like a warm hug.

Posted Image

#9 phr4nkr4wk5

phr4nkr4wk5

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2010 - 16:56

Lamy Safari is a great pen... but it would be even more perfect if it could work with Noodler's BSB. I think the appearance is just a matter of taste, besides, Lamy has stated that they prefer function over form, if I remember correctly.
my pen collection: Dollar 717i Demonstrator x3, fake Hero 616, Lamy Safari EF, Manuscript Dodec, Pilot 78g x2, Platinum Preppy F x7, Reform 1745 x2, Sheaffer Calligraphy Pen, Unidentified Wearever

#10 pmsalty

pmsalty

shamus

• Member - Gold

• 1,316 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2010 - 17:07

Overrated, but my yellow Safari does look good inked with Waterman's Havana brown.
PMS
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

#11 Fuddlestack

Fuddlestack

I enjoy defeating inanimate objects

• Member - Gold

• 1,108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2010 - 17:08

Lamy Safari is a great pen... but it would be even more perfect if it could work with Noodler's BSB. I think the appearance is just a matter of taste, besides, Lamy has stated that they prefer function over form, if I remember correctly.

I'll put function over form any day - it's a daft design that looks good and doesn't work because of it in any walk of life. But in any case, I like the sobriety of the Safari, particularly the charcoal/black nib variant. Some of their other colours look a little vomitous, though, and it's a particular shame the way they've mucked up the yellow one.

Tell you what tickles me - you can stand it horizontally on its clip, and it stays there with the barrel off the desk. Trivial but pleasing.

Edited by Fuddlestack, 20 March 2010 - 17:09.

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.

#12 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 17:57

I have a Safari, and it's the one pen I'm not afraid to share with others or take to work (though I still don't leave it lying on my desk). The Safari was my 3rd fp, I think, and I bought it specifically to use 'on the road,' because I knew I could easily buy another if I lost it.
Tamara

#13 bhbarto

bhbarto

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 925 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 17:59

Got a couple with medium nibs, going to get one with a bold nib one of these says. I carry them to school and use them for grading papers, I love them...

Pen(s) Currently in Rotation:

Lamy Safari (Medium) - Diamine Grey

Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman (Medium) - Diamine Eau De Nil

Sheaffer Snorkel Desk Pen (Medium) - Waterman Absolute Brown

#14 bwnewton

bwnewton

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 18:11

I have three:
*Charcoal, EF
*Blue, F
*Glossy Black, 1.5

I use the charcoal and blue daily. I hope to purchase a red F and a yellow M. Maybe someday a Vista. I have many other pens, modern and vintage that I enjoy. But, the Safari is my workhorse for note-taking, underlining, marginalia, etc. My journaling is usually done with my other pens.

My wife has an orange F. My daughter a pink F. My secretary a charcoal EF.

#15 Andy M-S

Andy M-S

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 18:12

I bought an EF Lamy Safari-style demonstrator a few months ago and I hate it, just as I remember hating Lamy Safaris back in the '80s. It looks cool, but it just doesn't work very well compared to my other pens (one Mont Blanc and a handful of Sheaffer 440s). It doesn't start right away, it skips from time to time, and for EF the line is rather broad.

Sigh.

Someday I'll learn that there's more to life than looks :-).
Andrew Marchant-Shapiro
Martin Guitars, Sheaffer Pens, Trek Bicycles
Any questions?

#16 WendyNC

WendyNC

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 18:18

Let's see--in the pen pot, there's a charcoal, a shiny black and a yellow (along with a Joy) and there's an Al-Star in my bag that hasn't been inked yet. There are extra nibs and converters around. I would have two charcoals, but in a conversation with my best friend and office mate (which started off with showing her a picture of a Nakaya Ascending Dragon, of all things), I pulled out an uninked charcoal, popped in a cartridge, handed it to her . . . and it's on her desk now. Hee!

Mostly, I keep them around for trying out inks before I commit a piston filler to a color and for playing with wider italic nibs.
I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

#17 phr4nkr4wk5

phr4nkr4wk5

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2010 - 18:38

I'll put function over form any day - it's a daft design that looks good and doesn't work because of it in any walk of life. But in any case, I like the sobriety of the Safari, particularly the charcoal/black nib variant. Some of their other colours look a little vomitous, though, and it's a particular shame the way they've mucked up the yellow one.

Tell you what tickles me - you can stand it horizontally on its clip, and it stays there with the barrel off the desk. Trivial but pleasing.

Haha, cute, I just tried the clip trick and it works. I suppose perfectionists could sit their Lamys up on their desks like that to avoid small scratches? O.o I have the yellow one, black clip. I read of people getting this colour because of it's difficulty of getting lost, so I got it :embarrassed_smile:
my pen collection: Dollar 717i Demonstrator x3, fake Hero 616, Lamy Safari EF, Manuscript Dodec, Pilot 78g x2, Platinum Preppy F x7, Reform 1745 x2, Sheaffer Calligraphy Pen, Unidentified Wearever

#18 dexaco

dexaco

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2010 - 19:11

I have two, a charcoal with EF nib, and a red with OM nib. Both have had the sharp corners on the grip sanded to ease them, as I found the grip uncomfortable otherwise (lefty underwriter). Both start first time, good flow, no problems. I love the styling, so ugly it's beautiful!

I also have three nexx M, and I find the grip on that model much nicer. Presently fitted with LH, M and 1.1 italic (reground to left oblique).

Derick

#19 2Hearts

2Hearts

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2010 - 19:25

I've got a fine-nibbed Safari. I love the look. The colour really impacts the looks for me. I know it is usually a beginners pen, but it wasn't my 1st pen.

#20 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,785 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 19:26

I bought an EF Lamy Safari-style demonstrator a few months ago and I hate it, just as I remember hating Lamy Safaris back in the '80s. It looks cool, but it just doesn't work very well compared to my other pens (one Mont Blanc and a handful of Sheaffer 440s). It doesn't start right away, it skips from time to time, and for EF the line is rather broad.

Sigh.

Someday I'll learn that there's more to life than looks :-).

So, flip that pen into the hand of someone who will appreciate it!
price it reasonably, according to its condition-it is used-then use the cash as seed fund for another pen that fits your hand, personality, etc.Posted Image

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

Sponsored Content

|