Copper Esterbrook LJ

Stompy

I bought two lever filling pens off eBay this weekend and this was the first of them to arrive. I've never had a lever filler before,

not an Esterbrook and I'd never bought of this seller before so I was a little worried when opening the package. I was pleasantly

surprised to find the pen exactly as described, no scratches, dings and both jewels intact and clean. The clip is about 1/16th in open,

which isn't a problem and the seller's picture showed this gap. The patterns on the pen were originally described as marbelled, but to

my eye they look more like the roiled cloud patterns on Jupiter's upper atmosphere.

http://photos4.flickr.com/6185276_a0e1f6d7af_o.jpg

The nib is a 1554 (firm fine). I believe this is an untipped nib, the lack of which gives it a sort of stubbed character.

http://photos6.flickr.com/6185232_bc73d8ea63_o.jpg

I flushed out the pen and, after a little thought, decided to try the pen with Parker Quink Blue. The nib started first time and left a

nice wet, fine line. The firm nib feels like a modern fine nib with a pleasant amount of tooth.

The cap posts quite high on the pen which is 5 1/8 inches closed and 6 1/4 inches posted. As I don't post when I write, this isn't a

problem.

This is a light pen, but not as light as I had thought it would be, and well balanced in the hand. I haven't done much sustained

writing with it yet, but I'm sure it will be up to the task.

Overall, I'm pleased with my purchase. I think I paid a little more than I should have, but I feel that I've got my money's worth.

Particularly when I think of the other nibs that I can get. I've finally joined the Estie Brigade, and I'm glad I've done so.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stompy

• Leslie J.

• Keith with a capital K

• KendallJ

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks,

I'm just glad that I had something to review.

I also got a Mabie-Todd Blackbird today, but I haven't had a chance to take pictures of it yet.

That's a great looking pen... says the guy who's favourite pen is a copper J.

The 1xxx series nibs are untipped but can offer a fairly wonderful writing experience, they can benefit from a little smoothing and tuning up.

I like the pictures you took as well as it's nice to see the pen along with an exemplar.

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

Oooh, another copper Estie. :drool:

I like the way you photographed it with the review journal, that's a great idea. I enjoyed it very much.

My 1551 nib is butter smooth, it almost skates across paper.

Can't wait to see your pics and review of the Blackbird too.

Never lie to your dog.

Stompy, Great pen.

Keith likes Copper, but I think Blue is a better collor for a J. To each his own ;). I've got a blue transitional J waiting for new sacs. These are great pens!

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?