Montblanc 146 - the icon that one can't overlook

dandelion

having one early 70's 146 and another mid 80's 146, I agree that the 146 is an unavoidable choice for who likes pens. Thanks for sharing.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dandelion

• hari317

• Brian

• SamCapote

Great review! I'm thinking of getting another MB. I had a 144 but it's just too small for my hands (now use a Pelikan M1000). But, the piston problem concerns me. I'll read the MB posts but it just seems as much as this FP costs that there should be no "design" problems.

Great review! I'm thinking of getting another MB. I had a 144 but it's just too small for my hands (now use a Pelikan M1000). But, the piston problem concerns me. I'll read the MB posts but it just seems as much as this FP costs that there should be no "design" problems.

It's not a "design problem". Occasional piston failures can occur with any brand. A common scenario leading to piston failure is when someone has let ink dry out in the pen. In 15 years the only piston related problem among my MBs involved a used 146 bought off ebay that required lubrication. I've had similar lubrication issues with Omas and Pelikan piston fillers. If possible try the piston mechanism before you buy or ask the seller to try.

I just love my MB146, and have never experienced such a problem. I don't think this is a common problem with the 146. Better safe than sorry, I'd buy it under a return agreement.

Excellent photos as usual Dandelion.

Your writing added the extra dimension of bringing the emotional response we feel to our pens to the review. My 146 was a present from the man i lived with during the 80s, so it was never a bling pen for me. That reputation hadn't quite taken off here in Australia, at least. It has always been a great pen with it's classic design and smooth nib. Guess I've been lucky to have had such an excellent pen as my daily writer for so many years!

edited to add: the relationship didn't last as long as the pen...

Edited by Miranda

I like your review very much! But it's almost a shame you spend so much thought on a pen that might be an icon but in that, is vastly overrated. It's an icon but, like other icons like the volkswagen Beatle, it's not actually that good and one should wonder where the iconic status comes from.

I've had several Mont Blancs but I sold them all as I find they're made of inferior materials, are badly made (snowflake dropping off on one of them) an write scratchily. Apart from that the design isn't even generic, it's outright conservative. and (IMO) boring.

Nevertheless, my compliments to a very well written review. I like the angle you take on it.

Edited by Aleph

** Any landing you can walk away from is a good one **

I like your review very much! But it's almost a shame you spend so much thought on a pen that might be an icon but in that, is vastly overrated. It's an icon but, like other icons like the volkswagen Beatle, it's not actually that good and one should wonder where the iconic status comes from.

I've had several Mont Blancs but I sold them all as I find they're made of inferior materials, are badly made (snowflake dropping off on one of them) an write scratchily. Apart from that the design isn't even generic, it's outright conservative. and (IMO) boring.

Nevertheless, my compliments to a very well written review. I like the angle you take on it.

Thank you. I must say that I've not spent that much thought of MB only - I think many of these thoughts actually applies to icons and classics in general. This is thus more a spin off of my thoughts on icons and classics than vice versa.

What does bother meblink.gif - however - is that this pen also has developed a piston problem, which makes me very thoughtful in regards to these pens. unsure.gifI've now had 2 MB 146 and both have had problems with leaking pistons. I am not new to the use of pistons and have never ever had these problems with any of my other piston fillers, so I don't think that it is me mishandling them... That - of course - severely lowers the verdict in the quality/function department.This is a real pity. So. Now the pen is off to the pen doctor.

Edited by dandelion

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

• 2 months later...

A lovely review of a lovely pen.

the photos are lovely and certainly do justice to the pen and your ambivalence.

I agree with Hari about this most likely being a 1970's 146 and have a pen quite similar to this myself. It is outstanding and alongside Hari's 149 I recently purchased this pen sits most proudly.

I don't know if I will always keep my 146 but if I move it on, it will be for an even better replacement!

Fountain pens have not really improved much overall in design or function ( in my very humble opinion) since this pen was introduced.

That is true but what if Fountain Pens were even smoother than they already are? We would have a hard time controlling the nib. Thats why I tend to value a little bit of feedback on the nib. It allows me to have a feel of the writing. I mean theres feedback and then theres outright scratchiness but the two are mutually exclusive in a fine pen.

"Mate, you cant spell indispensable without the word PEN."

I have a 234 1/2 Deluxe, (52-55)....I don't want to even try the 146-149...I'd hate to find out mine is second best.

I would only try the 50's MB 146-149, in I want the better nib.

Mine is the best balanced pen I own for my hand, it has a superb 14 K semi-flex KOB nib.

First the nib, then the balance, , or first the balance and then the nib; third and way third it's a MB.

The only b*&itch is the nib is sort of plain for a MB, but it don't stop it from being a great shading nib...tied for first or a whisker better than my Pelikan 140 OB...

That KOB and MB toffee ink is my best match.

Next time I get to my B&M, I got to try the 146-149....I for got to take my 234 1/2 with me last time. Don't make any sense to try a pen or two with out bringing the Champ along.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Having this post come up again, I could not resist another comment. Seeing this older 146 and the two dinosaur 146s I recently obtained makes me want to restore them even more. No. 1 is not bad, but with a cracked barrel. No. 2 is a real survivor pen having worked for an attorney since the early 1980s, this pen has pitting on the metal trim along with a crack at the section that occurred when its former owner dropped it. I wonder, did it happen during a heated cross examination when this pen was held like a sword, or merely when it slipped out of hand waiting to sign some large settlement agreement causing a nervous tick to occur.

If I move to restore them I can see more than one trip abroad and much outlay at the end. I guess I am trying to convince myself that it will be worth it.

The predecessor of the MB torpedo would be the Sheaffer Balance. That design, when first introduced was groundbreaking in its departure from the flat top.

BTW, I would probably be in the minority to wish that MB would revise the present design of the 144 (now called something else?) so that it too could benefit from an integrated piston filler.

Greetings! Thank so much for pointing out Sheaffer's influence! The Balance is really the icon that other manufacturers emulate, but Montblanc's PR has certainly made the Meisterstuck series, especially the 149, the "star."

Regarding the Montblanc 144, the new, slightly larger model is the 145 (Chopin).

Regards, Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

A considerate and thoughtful review.

It is very difficult not to get caught up in the infatuation that Montblanc pens are capable of engendering. And there is the other side too, the angry and vocal resentment of the phenomonal success of the brand.

There was a time when I too, did not like the MB 146 or MB 149, considering them inflated status symbols. But, I was always, secretly curious. So an aquaintance in New York astonished me by showing me a portion of his vast Montblanc collection. He also had one that was for sale. That was my first 146.

Your review, says it all.

Well done, again.

I loves my 146 - one of my favorite pens, really. One of these days I'll go for broke and get myself a vintage celluloid 146...

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

• 1 year later...

Thank you so much for this detailed review; I want to go to Charlotte and hold one again, just to cement the decision, but your review really helped me decide which MB could be the right one for me.

An excellent review of a very nice pen. A trend setter for sure, the pinnacle, debatable.

Beautifully written.

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance