The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Help for Wearever cartridges

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 kdnavrat

kdnavrat

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 14:08

I have 2 Wearever pens with no cartridges and am in need of guidance - what can I use on these pens for ink cartridges? It appears the Wearever pens used custom or proprietary cartridges - where can I find some? And is there any way to use refills from other companies, like Pelikan or Sheaffer?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Kurt Navratil
kdnavrat@mail.com

Sponsored Content

#2 roger3

roger3

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2010 - 14:33

I have 2 Wearever pens with no cartridges and am in need of guidance - what can I use on these pens for ink cartridges? It appears the Wearever pens used custom or proprietary cartridges - where can I find some? And is there any way to use refills from other companies, like Pelikan or Sheaffer?

I also have a Wearever and I believe it will use international short carts(Pelikan) though I haven't yet tried one. If nobody else who actually knows responds, I'll stick one in, find out, and let you know
May you and those you love, be always blessed with peace and never ending joy.
Roger

#3 kdnavrat

kdnavrat

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 15:22

Roger - thanks - look forward to hearing back on your experiment. I have some Pelikan 'Giant Ink Cartridges' but they don't work...
Kurt Navratil
kdnavrat@mail.com

#4 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,044 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2010 - 15:28

I haven't tried, but I think a Sheaffer cartridge will do the job-- if I remember correctly, the Wearever cartridge is also flat on the end that takes the section. They're about the same length, but I'm not sure of girth, so don't get too enthusiastic with tamping a Sheaffer home in a Wearever barrel.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

#5 Chthulhu

Chthulhu

Rawr.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 16:38

They do come up on eBay now and then; the only ones I see now are item 230420645690 and considerably overpriced. A few days ago there was a much cleaner package of blue carts for half what this seller wants, and much lower shipping cost as well.
Mike Hungerford
http://goo.gl/dUVnUZ

#6 kdnavrat

kdnavrat

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 17:02

Thanks for the heads up and info - much appreciated.
Kurt Navratil
kdnavrat@mail.com

#7 roger3

roger3

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2010 - 19:14

Kurt, the international carts will fit, the sheaffer do not, as noted they are too wide. Levenger carts will fit nicely, Rotring, Pelikan, there is no lack of international carts that will do the trick. Glad to have helped
May you and those you love, be always blessed with peace and never ending joy.
Roger

#8 ZeissIkon

ZeissIkon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:15

I have a Wearever in which the fang is much too large for an international cartridge -- it's larger even than a Sheaffer or Esterbrook fang, larger than a Parker as well. The original Wearever cartridge has a metal ring at the back end, flat plastic at the front (the latter like a Sheaffer), and at one time Esterbrook cartridges (also flat on at least one end) came with adapters to allow their use in Sheaffer and Wearever pens. I'd guess you could use a Sheaffer cartridge in a Wearever, but in order to get the barrel to push the shorter Sheaffer cartridge into place and pierce it (as designed) you'd probably need an adapter -- a piece of dowel cut to the correct length would probably suffice, at least for the old style double-ended Sheaffer cartridges.

The Wearever cartridge pen I have doesn't look likely to accept a converter, though I suppose a "short" Parker type could be adapted (the Parker brand syringe type I purchased is much too long). I attempted converting a syringe type international converter: cutting off the neck, drilling the hole to 9/64" (which is still a tight fit on the fang) and shortening the rod and cage at the back end as much as possible, and it worked, but isn't very secure -- it started leaking in my shirt at work (fortunately, black ink in a black shirt), though I couldn't reproduce the problem at home later.
Does not always write loving messages.
Does not always foot up columns correctly.
Does not always sign big checks.

#9 kdnavrat

kdnavrat

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:00

I have a Wearever in which the fang is much too large for an international cartridge -- it's larger even than a Sheaffer or Esterbrook fang, larger than a Parker as well. The original Wearever cartridge has a metal ring at the back end, flat plastic at the front (the latter like a Sheaffer), and at one time Esterbrook cartridges (also flat on at least one end) came with adapters to allow their use in Sheaffer and Wearever pens. I'd guess you could use a Sheaffer cartridge in a Wearever, but in order to get the barrel to push the shorter Sheaffer cartridge into place and pierce it (as designed) you'd probably need an adapter -- a piece of dowel cut to the correct length would probably suffice, at least for the old style double-ended Sheaffer cartridges.

The Wearever cartridge pen I have doesn't look likely to accept a converter, though I suppose a "short" Parker type could be adapted (the Parker brand syringe type I purchased is much too long). I attempted converting a syringe type international converter: cutting off the neck, drilling the hole to 9/64" (which is still a tight fit on the fang) and shortening the rod and cage at the back end as much as possible, and it worked, but isn't very secure -- it started leaking in my shirt at work (fortunately, black ink in a black shirt), though I couldn't reproduce the problem at home later.

Wow...my problem precisely! Thanks for the feedback - finding the problem as you described. Lacking tools and wearever-withal to deal with what you describe.....I continue to find this FPN of amazing value!

Seriously - thanks for your input and suggestions....
Kurt Navratil
kdnavrat@mail.com

#10 kdnavrat

kdnavrat

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:10

bump
Kurt Navratil
kdnavrat@mail.com

#11 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,044 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2010 - 15:46

There is, of course, the expedient of eye-droppering the pen. I don't think there's any inconvenient vents in the barrels, so a quick slop of silicone grease on the threads should turn the trick.

...I should look again at the cartridge Wearevers I've got-- I'm spending way too much time guessing on this thread. :hmm1:

Edited by Ernst Bitterman, 18 March 2010 - 15:48.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

#12 ZeissIkon

ZeissIkon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 23:12

Wow...my problem precisely! Thanks for the feedback - finding the problem as you described. Lacking tools and wearever-withal to deal with what you describe.....I continue to find this FPN of amazing value!

I remembered last night that I have a few Sheaffer cartridges around, so checked them with the Wearever pen. Nope, they're just that much too fat to work -- they'll go into the barrel, with difficulty, but won't come out again (if lodged in fully by the section) without considerable salty language. I also discovered that my Wearever pen leaks with a genuine NOS Wearever cartridge, freshly pierced and water pumped in to reconstitute the dried-out original Washable Blue ink inside. Time to go crack hunting; if I can get the crack welded up, I can probably use the pen with my converted converter, as well as with refilled cartridges.

FWIW, I think one could make an International cartridge work by inserting it backward with a suitable adapter to take up the length difference. The potential hazard is of breaking the plastic fang in the pen trying to pierce the flat end of the cart, potentially resolved by drilling a 9/64" hole in the international cart before installing.
Does not always write loving messages.
Does not always foot up columns correctly.
Does not always sign big checks.

#13 lallin

lallin

MO Penhead

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:38

I have several dozen packs of Sanford All-Pen cartridges, made to fit Esterbrook, Sheaffer, Parker, Wearever, Venus and Eversharp pens. The packs of 6 cartridges each come with an adapter that can be used in several configurations for a snug fit in each brand. I have only used a few; but, they worked fine in Wearever, Venus and Esterbrook pens. The ink has suffered some evaporation over the years but is easily reconstituted with distilled water and the cart's can be refilled with bottled ink for repeated use.

A couple did come apart, presumably due to age, with the mounting nipple separating from the cartridge. I made a bulb-filler Wearever by shellacing a rubber sac to the mounting nipple from a cartridge; because there ia a nice ridge in the nipple, I also further secured the sac with the wire from a stripped twist-tie. I don't use that pen and did it more as a lark; but, it did work fine when I tried it.

#14 kdnavrat

kdnavrat

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 15:26

bump
Kurt Navratil
kdnavrat@mail.com

#15 Rlowenote

Rlowenote

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 16:37

I call your bump! See PM

Ralph

#16 kdnavrat

kdnavrat

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:56

I call your bump! See PM

Ralph

Thanks Ralph for the PM - back at you on PM.
Kurt Navratil
kdnavrat@mail.com

#17 praedo

praedo

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:25

The opening in the Lamy converters are ALMOST big enough, but not quite. Since the converters don't have any soft rubber o-rings or anything like that, I was thinking of slightly enlarging the hole in the converter. Drilling it out would leave a rough hole in the converter, and probably lead to leaks. How would you do this while keeping the inside of the hole smooth enough to be leak-proof? I was thinking of finding a proper-sized drillbit, heating it up a little and pushing it into the converter to open up the hole. It only needs to widen a tiny bit.

I need to get another Lamy converter before I try, as I only have one, and I use it in my daily-use grading pen.

Can anyone think of a better way to enlarge the hole?

#18 philm

philm

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:54

I don't think I have these any more, but did take some photos of some Wearever Carts. I hope this might help show what they look(ed) like and fit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Good luck.

Phil

#19 matt385

matt385

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:25

I took a nail punch and gently forced it into a short international cartridge and it fit like a charm. Then I used a syringe to fill the cartridge.

The nail punch also worked with a short international converter but it took more time to stretch out the opening.
The key to life is how well you deal with Plan B.

#20 lallin

lallin

MO Penhead

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:46

duplicate post deleted

Edited by lallin, 14 January 2011 - 01:51.

Sponsored Content

|