Cross ATX

pkoko

Please bear in mind this is my first review so please give me some feedback. I would also appreciate if my review if linked to the index, Thanks

Cross ATX Medium Nib-- Paradiso Green

Packaging (3/5):

The package came in traditional cross packing w/ allumiuim trim on the cover of box of hard plastic. It looks nice from far and feels good close. But once it is opened it looks cheap and very ordinary.

Exterior Design(7/10):

The pen is all brushed metal design which is simple yet elegant. The pen has a very nice and useful clip. It is not too flashy or shiny but has an understated quality look. The pen needed a little more trim pieces especially on the barrel to make stand out more. The design also has limited color possibilities that match it.

Fit & finish(14/15):

The paper clip is strong and everything feels solid and well built. There are no scratches or flaws with the pen. The cap fits the pen perfectly and smoothly. Of course it is also a flush fit with the barrel. The brushed metal material feels strong and built to last. It loses 1 point b/c the clip is not flush mounted to the cap.

Refilling (7/10):

The pen came with a converter and 2 small cartilages. The cartilage capacity is really small making refills a constant routine every 8-10 pages or so. I haven’t used the converter but it looks to be a nice size and easy to use. The nib will also have to be dipped fairly deeply for it too pick up ink because of high breather hole. So refills will get messy.

Ergonomics(9/10):

The pen has almost the perfect grip feel. It feels very well balanced and stable when in writing position. The pen is about the perfect weight although it can be a little lighter. Pen size(width) is large enough for hands to get a comfortable grip and yet small enough that is doesn’t slip or slide out of your fingers. This is the type of pen that no ones hands gets tired holding after long hours.

Nib/writing performance (25/35):

Cross comes with Stainless steel nib. Out of the box, the pen wrote a thick(slightly thicker than medium) wet line. The nib was scratchy and not very always smooth. After some use the nib is definitely smoother although not yet as smooth as Pilot VP or Lamy studio. The nib has no flex at all and has certain sweet spots (angles) of maximum smoothness. In those sweet spots; the pen truly delivers an enjoyable writing experience rivaling the aforementioned pens. Maybe with more use, the pen will smooth itself some more and the sweet spots would expand. Everywhere on the nib the pen still writes a wet line with no skipping or stalling or any ink flow problems. The ink line doesn’t smear or go through paper (even loose-leaf) but it uses a too much ink for included ink cartilage size.

Value (12/15):

This pen retails for around $60 USD and comes with lifetime warranty. I think it looks a little cheap considering the price although materials are very good. It also writes fairly average at this price point. But, it is one of the unique all metal pens on the market and lifetime warranty is a great value point.

Overall (77/100)

If you like the all metal design of FP, like the ergonomic feel/size of this pen, value Cross’s lifetime warranty; you will like this pen. If you are looking for best writer at this price point; look elsewhere. If you only use cartilages and write a lot; also look elsewhere.

I think of my FPs as my children.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pkoko

• CRB

• Ed Ronax

• significantpass

Nice review, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

This, in black, was one of my first few pens. I don't really like the clip, though. Last Saturday, the pen fell out of my shirt pocket twice, causing me to be in panic both times. The clip on an ATX brlonging to a friend of mine came loose and had to be repaired. Besides the clip, I've found the ATX to be quite a reasonable pen.

Thanks for the review. I like the brushed section better than the slippery chrome ones. This model is out of production; did you get it recently?

Thanks for the review. I like the brushed section better than the slippery chrome ones. This model is out of production; did you get it recently?

Yes I got it recently as in 2 weeks ago or so. The B&M store had those on discount so I grabbed mine for a very good deal(35% OFF). They told me that those colors are discontinued.

I ve had a problem with the chrome ones too. I can never grip them and write especially if I am in a bit of a hurry. good review but I would give it a few more points because for the price it is a good writer.

Update

After using the pen more frequently and switch ink to Noodlers Heart of Darkness. I have couple of small point to add about the C/C and the nib. The converter holds good amount of ink and feels very well made and solid. The pen loaded ink with ease in very simple procedure.

After refilling; the nib felt even smoother although a little wetter. I think the Nib on this pen is now a very smooth and enjoyable writer. The only points I can take off for is lack of flexibility and line variation. I think the nib should be 30/35. So the pens overall score should be (83/100).

I too have one of these in all-chrome. I agree with your comments about it writing quite thick for a Medium nib and wet also, although this may be the case with any M nib given my small, tight handwriting. This is my only FP at present and I find it quite tiresome and difficult to grasp after long periods writing letters etc, hence couldn't agree with your comment that it is easily used for hours on end. I do also agree though that the packaging is not that great although interestingly, mine came in a different Cross box (green flip top) with no convertor (purchased in Dec '03). After over 6 years use, the chrome body has a tarnished look albeit one that is not too unsightly. I have the convertor on order from the local Cross dealer who sold the pen in the first place and they are supplying me the convertor free of charge, although this may be more to do with the charm braclet I've ordered for my wife at the same time! I'm really looking forward to trying this out with bottled ink as I do feel that the Cross cartridges are not that great and do seem to run out or dry up quite quickly. As an interesting aside, I recently (last week) took this pen to Italy with me, only not to use it. Four flights later and when I used it there was absolutely no leakage of ink as I've heard can occasionally happen (or is this a bit of a myth?) and it wrote perfectly first time.

Overall, for it's price, a great pen although as I learn more about FPs as the weeks go by, I suspect there are far better out there for not much more coin. I've currently got my eye on a Namiki Custom 742 and/or a Monteverde Invincia and will be interested to see how they compare.

"Go on doing with your pen what in other times was done with the sword" - Thomas Jefferson, 1796.

Current lineup in play:

PELIKAN 400NN (OB) & (F) M600 (M), AURORA 88 (M), CROSS ATX (M) TOWNSEND (M), OSMIROID 75 (M), TWSBI 530 (F),

Here are the linked images to outside image hosting service --- PLZ delete original images.

http://www.stmaryadultmedicine.com/IMG_1073_1_1.JPG

http://www.stmaryadultmedicine.com/IMG_1074_1_1.JPG

http://www.stmaryadultmedicine.com/IMG_1075_1_1.JPG

http://www.stmaryadultmedicine.com/IMG_1077_1_1.JPG

http://www.stmaryadultmedicine.com/IMG_1079_1_1.JPG

Writing Sample

http://www.stmaryadultmedicine.com/cross1.jpg

Edited by pkoko

• 3 years later...

i too find the nib far too wet for my liking. I've been using the pen for over a year now and it does get smoother. I completely agree that there are points on the nib where it works better (if at all actually).

Although I have started to encounter a problem with the converter, even though I push it in as far as it will go, when i twist the barrel off to refill the ink or check what is left in the cartridge i find the barrel actually twists the C/C causing leakage, both internally and externally. Has anyone else had this problem? I have cleaned the whole pen according to the instructions provided so there is not anything stuck in the barrel. Suggestions anyone? Thanks, Happy Writing!

The ATX is undeniably a great pen. I sold it to a fellow FPN member some time ago but I remember it only gave me happiness. Hope you all enjoy it!