My new Romillo Pen

SAP

I recently found a reference to Romillo pens, and started to do a search, and found very little regarding members experience with these pens. I found the Landó to be especially interesting, with a piston filler (most are either eyedropper or c/c). Does anyone have any personal experience, and comments regarding these pens?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SAP

• manolo

• Lszuk

• idazle

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently found a reference to Romillo pens, and started to do a search, and found very little regarding members experience with these pens. I found the Landó to be especially interesting, with a piston filler (most are either eyedropper or c/c). Does anyone have any personal experience, and comments regarding these pens?

I have had the opportunity to test some Romillos.

They are all great pens, hand made, but the one that I would buy (if I had the money) would be the "Landó": it is wider, nib is bigger, it has a different filling system (pump action, you have to close a hole with your finger before pumping), and general feeling is better for me.

They also have a new model, the "Sil", which I haven't tested yet.

And...they manufacture a flexible nib, truly flex. I am not proficient with this kind of nibs but I have seen them tested by other people and they said it wrote very well.

There has been a lot of discussion in spanish pen fora regarding Romillo's prices. I don't know if I would ever invest that amount of money in a pen, but for those who do, in may be worth a try.

They are all great pens, hand made, but the one that I would buy (if I had the money) would be the "Landó": it is wider, nib is bigger, it has a different filling system (pump action, you have to close a hole with your finger before pumping), and general feeling is better for me.

I've got a Landó myself. It's just the best pen my hands have ever held. It's a piece of handcraftship and a superb writer which wonderfully fits the way I write. Mine uses a piston filler.

About the price? As I don't think a customised handcrafted pen like this is comparable with other pens, I compare its price with my bike's. That is, around 1,5 thousand dollars last year ;-)

fpn_1345911780__025bis.jpg

fpn_1345911856__026bis.jpg

Cheers

Carlos

Zenbat buru hainbat aburu

Beautiful pen, congratulations !

One remark : it looks Romillo still uses the "older " Bock feed which was replaced by a newer version last year.

The newer feed version has lots of small fins and can consequently absorb much more ink.

One can see this newer feed in Olivier"s post on the Conid/fountainbel bulk filler in this forum

Francis

Edited by fountainbel

Beautiful pen, congratulations !

One remark : it looks Romillo still uses the "older " Bock feed which was replaced by a newer version last year.

The newer feed version has lots of small fins and can consequently absorb much more ink.

Francis

Dear Francis,

This review is from 2010.

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Manolo and Carlos,

Thanks for your comments. The Landò is probably my favorite. How does the size compare to the Mont Blanc 146 or 149? Is there an ample ink capacity? Is the nib smooth, and write with a generous ink flow?

Manolo and Carlos,

Thanks for your comments. The Landò is probably my favorite. How does the size compare to the Mont Blanc 146 or 149? Is there an ample ink capacity? Is the nib smooth, and write with a generous ink flow?

You should better contact Romillo directly (or visit theri website). The manager, Alvaro Romillo, is fluent in English and he will be able to explain anything better than me.

• 2 months later...

I just came across their website and feel a little sick. The designs are just breathtaking, and even though they use Bock nibs, it is apparent that they customize them. I love the sheer number of nib sizes that they offer.

One thing about the website is that it is a little tough to navigate, and there are not enough pictures for each pen (i.e. if you select all of the options, they just show a small thumbnail at the bottom of the page).

I am not sure I would ever have the $$ to purchase one, but all them are appealing to me (especially the combination of ebonite and celluloid).

Beautiful pen....use it in good health.

the Danitrio Fellowship

• 3 weeks later...

very nice indeed :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I have had a Romillo pen, ED, with the flex "K" nib for quite a while.

When I ordered it I did make it clear that although I am a left handed underwriter and could use any pen easily they needed to take note of this fact.

I was sent a short video of my pen in action, and it looked superb. However.......it was the pen from hell in my hand. It may well have been the speed I expected to write at, only afterwards did I think it may have been made just for calligraphy!

I persevered with it, I tried all sorts of inks, papers, times of the day....with the black 'O' rings inside the pen and without......but this pen became my personal challenge, and nearly ended up in the bin!!!

My last thought was to ask John Mottishaw to at least hold it, try it, and see if he could make it work for me. He did!!! He replaced the feed, which was inadequate, he reseated something inside the barrel, he more or less made magic on it, and now it works beautifully. Oh, he also reground the nib into a lovely soft fine stub at my request.

I guess you could call mine the remodeled version, and is now worth a lot more an I paid for it originally!

I'm not trying to rubbish Romillo Pens at all. I am trying to warn against buying out of your league, which I obviously had done. For me it has been a steep learning curve, and I'm not a newbie!

I wish the makers well, I hope everyone who has paid out for a Romillo enjoys their pen very much, but if you go for the "K" nib, be ready for a challenge.

Edited to add that I ordered the 'M-BB' size of nib, and here is a link to my letter thanking John Mottishaw for his work.....you can see what it is now.

www.nibs.com/testimonials Go to August 30.

Edited by Chris Chalmers

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

I have had a Romillo pen, ED, with the flex "K" nib for quite a while.

When I ordered it I did make it clear that although I am a left handed underwriter and could use any pen easily they needed to take note of this fact.

I was sent a short video of my pen in action, and it looked superb. However.......it was the pen from hell in my hand. It may well have been the speed I expected to write at, only afterwards did I think it may have been made just for calligraphy!

I persevered with it, I tried all sorts of inks, papers, times of the day....with the black 'O' rings inside the pen and without......but this pen became my personal challenge, and nearly ended up in the bin!!!

My last thought was to ask John Mottishaw to at least hold it, try it, and see if he could make it work for me. He did!!! He replaced the feed, which was inadequate, he reseated something inside the barrel, he more or less made magic on it, and now it works beautifully. Oh, he also reground the nib into a lovely soft fine stub at my request.

I guess you could call mine the remodeled version, and is now worth a lot more an I paid for it originally!

I'm not trying to rubbish Romillo Pens at all. I am trying to warn against buying out of your league, which I obviously had done. For me it has been a steep learning curve, and I'm not a newbie!

I wish the makers well, I hope everyone who has paid out for a Romillo enjoys their pen very much, but if you go for the "K" nib, be ready for a challenge.

Edited to add that I ordered the 'M-BB' size of nib, and here is a link to my letter thanking John Mottishaw for his work.....you can see what it is now.

www.nibs.com/testimonials Go to August 30.

Thanks for this post. After reading it I've thought that I should make a short review of my Romillo Landó without further ado. I have had the pen for over three months now and have gone twice back to Romillo's to adjust inkflow, which was uneven from the outset. It still is and wonder whether it could be the feed or "something inside the barrel". Overall I'm happy with the pen though.

Zenbat buru hainbat aburu