Parker vector or jotter

aditya

my vector had an unpleasing amount of feedback from its medium nib. id say go for the jotter. or consider a safari.

Step 1: Buy another fountain pen

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aditya

• rahulg

• Ispriluc

• Mike 59

hmmmm....

at first i couldnt really try out the pens tht's y i couldnt decide but now i tried the vector, jotter and pelicano so iv decided to buy the jotter first and then proceed to vector later on but i didnt like pelicano's appearences + I find pelican having a cheap impact

thx fr the advice....

I use a vector, it's sturdy but skips alot (not sure if this has to do with Visconti black though...).

Your right, it is waay too small and if you write a lot your hand will hurt. Your hands have to put an effort to grip it so that you can control the little stick, however with a fatter pen you can hold it relaxed and still have a grip.

I don't know too much abotu the Frontier, but i know it's bigger and that will be a massive improvement.

In bourgeois society capital is independent and has individuality,

while the living person is dependent and has no individuality

Today i was just passing by a stationary when i saw the parker l.m for the same price as the jotter. so iv changed my mind and and now im buying the l.m and then a stain less steel vector.

• 2 weeks later...

depends on the budget ... vectors medium nibs are good, especially for those who have an italic script, frontiers are expensive .... never used a Jotter Fountain pen. In India, Hero 332 is a rage.

one thing i didnt like about vector was tht it was too small and i personally dont like small fountain pens

The Jotter is smaller than the Vector.

Personally, I don't like the vector much, but probably because I haven't used it enough (I just got it today. Wrote a line or two to get the feel). I'm a FP beginner, but I've been using the Waterman Hemisphere for several months. At first, I thought it was sort of heavy. Then I got used to it. Then there's the vector. Now I'm struggling to adapt to the -agh- lightness. In desperation for more weight, I put the cap on the back. Didn't help much. And you're right. It is sort of wet.

Edited by Rubicon

I have read many reviews of parker jotter because im planning to buy either a jotter or a vector

im really confused wht to buy since lamy safari would have been my first choice but its not available in my region.

one thing i didnt like about vector was tht it was too small and i personally dont like small fountain pens

many ppl are saying tht jotter is very dry and vector is too wet.

i am seriously confused which one to buy........

The Jotter fp is even smaller than the Vector. If you want a Parker, the Frontier or the Urban are better options. I wouldn't recommend the IM/Profile. The quality of the IM/Profile is not very consistent.

Edited by mr T.

• 1 month later...

I don't know much about the Jotter but between Vector and the 45, 45 is far better and you should really give a thought to it.

Edited by aditya.shevade

Current Daily Writers → Parker 45 Flighter with Blue Quink, Pelikan Pelikano with Pelikan Blue.

Wishlist → TWSBI Diamond 530, Lamy 2000, Parker 51.

My Blogblog.adityashevade.com | My Technical Blogwww.noob2geek.com

The Frontier is a good option if you want a well-functioning, relatively inexpensive fountain pen from Parker's current production. I have an IM Rollerball that is visually nice, but very heavy in the hand; I can't say how heavy the fp is, but it's something to watch out for if your considering it. The SS Frontier is nicely weighted and balances well in the hand. Personally, I would think the Frontier is a good place to start compared to the Jotter or Vector if you want to see how much you would like fp's. While I can't say enough about Jotter ballpoints, but the fp is a whole different matter.

If something a little more vintage appeals to you, there are a lot of NOS 45's out there on Ebay, as well as used models in very nice shape. Since Parker only stopped making the 45 a few years ago, there is probably also a lot of 45 inventory still with retailers.

Whatever you choose, I'll bet you end up with a "51" before long.

Never used a Vector. Jotter FP's are good writers, but small!

45 is a good and reliable pen. Frontier slighted is a solid pen that I regret parting with.

WANTED:

Delta Indios (FP or BP)

Delta Inuit (FP or BP)

Delta Don Quijote (BP or FP, green pref.)

other Delta Indigenous People

(M nibs or wider preferred)

I've only used the Jotter as a ballpoint, which is phenomenal, but I would definitely recommend, as others have, the Parker 45. It's a GREAT fountain pen, and not too expensive.

• 8 months later...

Is it me or people are yet to realize that the Parker Frontier has a habit of getting loose caps that make it all the more useless? I cannot say the same for the nib own a m nibbed frontier myself that I can't carry but the nib is really something!

To answer the OP's question: I have had a steel Jotter and Vector. They seem to write pretty much the same, unsurprisingly, as the nibs are the same and probably the internals as well. The Jotter is quite a bit smaller in my hand. Also it looks "wishy-washy", whereas the Vector has a clear cut design (which I like). The Jotter is one of the few pens I have got rid of.

The matt black (metal) or the steel "flighter" Vectors feel much more sturdy than the plastic ones.

That said, a 45 or a Safari are better pens. And if you are a leftie overhand, I find the LH German nibs unbeatable.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a plastic barrel Vector in '92, medium nib, and used the standard blue Parker cartridges for many years. After buying a bottle of 'Skrip' black ink for a different pen, I fitted the converter in the Vector, filled it with Skrip black ink, and it's transformed, I should have done that years ago.

I bought another Vector as part of a set, in 2008, and it appeared to be identical, (medium nib, Made in UK) but it does not have the smooth 'feel' of my '92 pen, and when I look at them together under a x10 magnifier, the '92 nib is slightly wider, and I assume it's why it seems smoother.

The Vector barrel is 'thin' compared to many others, and the step down to the aluminium finger grip is not ideal. But I have become used to it, and as it is so reliable, I tend to use it often.

I bought a plastic barrel Vector in '92, medium nib, and used the standard blue Parker cartridges for many years. After buying a bottle of 'Skrip' black ink for a different pen, I fitted the converter in the Vector, filled it with Skrip black ink, and it's transformed, I should have done that years ago.

I bought another Vector as part of a set, in 2008, and it appeared to be identical, (medium nib, Made in UK) but it does not have the smooth 'feel' of my '92 pen, and when I look at them together under a x10 magnifier, the '92 nib is slightly wider, and I assume it's why it seems smoother.

The Vector barrel is 'thin' compared to many others, and the step down to the aluminium finger grip is not ideal. But I have become used to it, and as it is so reliable, I tend to use it often.

Much like you, I used cartridges exclusively for many years before buying a bottle of ink and pulling out the converter. The difference was amazing and something I should have done years earlier.

• 5 months later...

I use a vector, it's sturdy but skips alot (not sure if this has to do with Visconti black though...).

Your right, it is waay too small and if you write a lot your hand will hurt. Your hands have to put an effort to grip it so that you can control the little stick, however with a fatter pen you can hold it relaxed and still have a grip.

I don't know too much abotu the Frontier, but i know it's bigger and that will be a massive improvement.

I've just bought MB toffee brown and I tried to write with it and it kept skipping loads! I'm going to upgrade to a safari very soon. Only Parker ink seems to work in Parker pens... true Parker mentality; there far too dry.

Have you tried Diamine ink in it? That seems to work best of all to me.

• 1 year later...

As fountain pens, Jotter, Vector, IM, Urban - soulless, awful, non-aesthetic and bad writing pens. Don't waste your money on them, buy something more descent - Sonnet, Premier or Duofold. They are not cheap, but they write better and once you get them, you get them for life.

Write and enjoy the process.

Hi, The less expensive end range of Parker are fine for the market they were designed for, school/students, and could be called value for money.

I still think the Frontier is the 'pick' in that price range, as it has a real nib, it can be taken apart for servicing, is a proper size pen in width and length, to my mind very hard to find fault with.

I would say the plastic barrelled version can seem a little light in weight, but the Flighter version is that bit heavier. It has a lot in common with the Sonnet, but a quarter of the price.

I have used mine for 6 years now, and never a problem, they are well run-in now, just a good reliable pen.

Of course, the Frontier is not made now, but there are many out there, new or used, around GBP 10-15, a bargain.

Edited by Mike 59