The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Legno 89s

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lehnsherr

Lehnsherr

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:23

Here's a small write up about the Pilot Legno 89s. It's a small size pen and I presume its similar to the Prera. Not only that, the pen seeks resemblance with the Stella 90s and Legance 89s in almost every aspect except for material.

Material
Pilot stated that this pen is crafted out of コムプライト(樹脂含浸カバ材), which translated to "resin impregnation birch" I think it's birch wood with a layer of waterproofing resin over it. The wood has a matte finish, and does not appear to look as if there is a layer of resin over it, nor the smell of plastic. In fact it even has a faint smell of wood on it. I think Pilot has done really well on this aspect.

Size
As I have mentioned this pen is a small sized pen. I took some pictures of it beside a ruler but the photos turn out as if I didn't measure it correctly so I am going to state the dimensions here:

Capped: 120mm
Uncapped: 107mm
Posted: 133mm
Diameter (thickest at barrel): 11mm

Feel in Hand

I have an average sized hand and could use the pen both unposted and posted. However I think that due to it's size, most people would prefer to use the pen posted. Balance is overall ok as the pen is short. However it might not be the pen for long writing sessions. The pen cap does sits well posted but not very tight, which is what I prefer.

Looks

The woodgrain pattern on the pen definitely made it look more expensive that it really cost. It is very obvious and color looks great over the other wooden Japanese pens that has the usual brownish color.

Nib

Mine is a 14k Pilot Fine nib and Pilot uses it's Size 3 nib on it. Writes perfectly without a flaw :)

Filling System
Will take a CON-20, CON-50 or cartridge. Nothing fanciful here with the usual c/c suspects from Pilot

Overall Grade
I would give it a 9/10 for a grade. I think that the size of the pen is subjective but for such a small pen Pilot should allow the pen to be posted more securely. Although it wasn't a great issue but I did experience once, when I felt the posted cap coming loose.

Now for the pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Lehnsherr, 14 March 2010 - 06:24.

Currently Using: Pelikan M805

Sponsored Content

#2 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:28

a japanese pen with an italian name (guess that's not uncommon)... nice!!!

thanx for sharing!

Edited by lovemy51, 14 March 2010 - 09:33.

#3 Yuki Onitsura

Yuki Onitsura

I ink, therefore I am

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:31

Very nice little pen! And you're right, it does look quite a bit like the Legance.

Yuki
Posted Image
Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

#4 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:49

Great review, thanks.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#5 Angel91

Angel91

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2016 - 22:46

I'm sorry to revive this. Any new experiences? The pen looks so good. Does it offer a good writing experience?

#6 thecla

thecla

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 23:01

I don't have this pen so I can't talk about my experiences but I do know that Pilot has several pen models that have this same nib and section: Stargazer (aka Stella 90s), Legance 89s, and Custom 98 (without rhodium plating).

If you want to know about nib performance then it might be a good idea to look at reviews of those. The Stargazer I think is is the most commonly reviewed.

Edit: And if I'd read the original post I would've noticed that it already mentions all of those.

Edited by thecla, 20 February 2016 - 23:03.

Sponsored Content

|