Montblanc Midnight Blue

Sandy1

All photos have been reuploaded to the FPN server - see the post from @LizEF .  2/14/22

Date: March 8, 2010

Brand: Montblanc

Name: Midnight Blue (MB)

Bottle: Yes, 60 ml.

Pens:

• Pelikan M200 <M> (Binder)
  • Pelikan M200 <0.9 Stub> (Binder)
  • Pelikan M640 <F>
  • Montblanc 149 <B>
  • Pilot 'Prera' <M>
  • Lamy 'Safari' <M>
  • Sheaffer 'No Nonsense' <M>
  • Waterman 'Charleston' <M>
  • Pilot 78G <F>

Papers:

• HP1124 Laser Copy, Letter
  • Clairefontaine 'Triomphe', A4
  • G. Lalo 'Verge de France', white A4

General Description:

Likely the most amazing interesting boring ink.

The colour has 'gravitas' appropriate for business documents, enduring signatures and the like. Yet from a wet-ish <B> nib with character, this could easily be used for personal correspondence, but not billet doux - not even to one who really likes this ink.

According to the box, it is "Permanent for documents", and the wee pamphlet inside the box states "... permanent, ferro-gallic content."

Also, "It is important to clean the fountain pen regularly if permanent ink (Midnight Blue) is used, as the high concentration of the ink can lead to deposits forming on the feed system."

Elsewhere, a three-month period between cleanings is mentioned. Some practitioners have suggested that 'years' between cleaning would be OK.

The Blue-Black box mentioned that it was formulated to include 'Super-Cleaner SC21'. That ingredient is not mentioned on the Midnight Blue box, container or pamphlet.

Flow / Lubrication:

Flows easily in all clean writing implements.

Users of teeny nibs, <XF> and smaller, may well keep their cap handy as the ink can dry on the nib tip quite easily under dry conditions, but flows well when in continuous use.

Drying Time:

Usually I don't pay much attention to this property. I was astounded that the ink was non-smear somewhere between 20 - 30 seconds. (Yikes!) Perhaps my technique is sloppy.

Feathering:

None on any of the 3 papers.

Extraordinary 'tight' lines. This is a very strong advantage of i-g ink, which is especially useful when very narrow precise lines are required.

Bleedthrough:

None on any of the 3 papers - even with swabs and dip pen sample.

Shading:

So very nice.

Waterproof:

Water resistant.

Text remains clear though faded after overnight soak in detergent+water.

As I hardly drink grog, I gave it a quick dip in rubbing alcohol, which had no effect other than slight fading.

Nib Creep: None.

Staining: None in any of the pens used. (Note: I use this ink extensively in my MB149; the ink window remains clear.)

Clogging: None. (See cleaning notes under General Characteristics above.)

Saturation : Modest - highly dependent on wetness of the feed+nib.

Appearance :

Formal, but not overly severe. Can be fluid and expressive.

When Sharon Stone wears YSL's Le Smoking, this ink is in her pen.

http://gracemagazine.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/le-smoking-ysl.jpg

spacer.png

Odour : Ink. Unscented.

Comparison : Without peer.

Summary :

• Initially, I thought that this was a new colour from MB. But I was pleased to find that for all intents and purposes it is the same as the Montblanc 'Blue-Black'.
  • Some practitioners have mentioned sighting colour differences and/or differences in darkness (density). I believe that such slight differences may be due to different ink batches, age (unlikely but certainly possible), and if not examining their own samples, the usual caveats about monitors, etc.
  • While such discussions may be interesting, and lead to improvements in sampling methods, I believe that each person must act on what they see.
  • Oh, the new 'shoe' appears clunkier. Still the same 2-tank arrangement. I assume that functionality remains high as ever, and see no reason to examine it in detail.
  • I do think the box is OTT and certainly could be more eco-sensitive - it is of mixed materials bound together, so cannot be easily recycled. Bah!

Scans:

These were created using an Epson V600. Factory software & other defaults were accepted. The image was not adjusted other than cropping and compression using iPhoto on a MacBook.

First Page : HP Laser Copy 24 lb.

Swab & dip pen. Waterman Florida Blue (WFB) and MBMB.

Written samples:

• Using a Pelikan <M> from the Binder outfit, both MBMB and WFB are written on alternate lines.
  • That is followed by 6 lines of writing using a Pelikan M200 with a Binder 1.0 Stub.
  • That is followed by 6 lines of writing using a Pelikan M200 with a stock Pelikan <F> nib.
  • Note: This shows how I like my nibs: <F> should be a tad dry, <M> normal wetness, and <B> a tad wet.
  • At the bottom of the page, we have the Dry Time samples: I made a downstroke with the <M> nib, waited the indicated time in seconds, then with the heel of my left hand, wiped across that stroke.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/FPN005.jpg

spacer.png

Second Page : Clairefontaine 'Triomphe'

Swabs of various inks:

• PQBlBk is Parker Quink Blue Black;
  • WBlBk is Waterman Blue Black
  • Cd'ABN is Caran d'Ache Blue Night
  • Pit-y is Pilot iroshizuku tsuki-yo.

*Many thanks to 'lapis' for extensive comparative swabs in his review of MBMB. 🙂 Strength through diversity!

This page has writing samples from several different pens, which we hope will give the observer a good idea of how this ink may appear on their paper with their pen.

• Pelikan M200 <M>
  • Pilot Prera <M>
  • Lamy Safari <M>
  • Sheaffer No Nonsense <M>
  • Waterman Charleston <M>
  • Pilot 78G <F>

The swirlies on the bottom are made with the back of a dip pen nib, and make a reasonable depiction of the range of density (dark to light) before the ink runs out.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/FPN006.jpg

spacer.png

Last Page : G. Lalo 'Verge de France', white.

Note: IMHO this paper has the 'hardest', hence most dry of the 3 used in this Review.

Swabs of MBMB WFP & MBBlBk.

Using the same MB149 <B>, alternate lines of the same text were written with MBMB and MBBlBk.

It was noted that the first few lines of the MBBlBk are lighter than the MBMB. As I recall, the pen was just washed from the MBMB, so the difference may be due to a damp feed. (?) This difference is no longer visible on the row starting 'out of college...'

As mentioned elsewhere, I am not the least bit fussed by that.

At the bottom of the page, the right corner was cut out, and given an overnight soak in soapy water + a dip in rubbing alcohol.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/FPN007.jpg

spacer.png

I do need to improve my penmanship, but...

-30-

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• amberleadavis

• monjaraz85

• LizEF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd say that everything has now all been said and done about this ink.

Thanks for everything I missed out on. ;)

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

wow I love your cool review, especially all the different nibs and colour comparisons. Thanks a lot.

Wish list: Aurora Optima

Current inked Pens: Pilot Decimo - Noodlers BBH, MB Mozart - MB Lavender

Pelikan M150 - Noodlers Kung te Cheng

I'd say that everything has now all been said and done about this ink.

Thanks for everything I missed out on. ;)

Mike

Hi Mike,

While I'd like to agree with you about 'combined completeness', I reckon that any additional reviews will certainly be warmly welcomed.

Do other practitioners have different findings / observations / ways of working / etc. ????

That said, I really like the ink, so I was going to run samples anyway : Don't tell, me show me.

I doubt that I'll do a Review of Waterman Florida Blue. :-)

Best Regards,

Sandy1

wow I love your cool review, especially all the different nibs and colour comparisons. Thanks a lot.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I reckon that the different nibs (& pens, & papers) are important to make the Review relevant to most practitioners; and strives to deal with the questions, "How will this ink look from my pen on my paper." and "Should I add it to my ink magazine?"

In brief discussion with Ann, there is some consideration being given to the value of the colour comparisons. This review was intended to be comparative, (MBMB - MBBlBk) but not to compare MBMB to other BlBk inks. The WFB was inclued to act as a 'visual calibration': most people have it so can make their own fresh swab and see how that matches the swab on their monitor. Certainly a flawed method, but for most people perhaps more relevant than a gray scale - or not.

Bye,

S1

Well, I can't beat you as to the number of pens used.

That oughtta teach me a thing or two about life!

Just wait till I do another review. :puddle:

Hugh

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Well, I can't beat you as to the number of pens used.

That oughtta teach me a thing or two about life!

Just wait till I do another review. :puddle:

Hugh

:-)

For my own purposes, a quick swab & a scribble with both inks on some Clairefontaine would've done the trick.

The reason that there are a number of pens used is to try to show other practitioners what their pen might do with an ink. Consequently, I used what I consider 'common stock' pens, and not pens that are expensive, rare or customised - 'Binderisaion' exempt.

OK, not everyone has or wants an MB149. Fine. But for me, that ink in that pen with that nib generate a 'premium' experience - but it is only part of the sample. For subsequent ink reviews, I may not include a sample with that pen+nib again. But I might include a sample that shows my personal preference. eg. R&K 'Solferino' from a Waterman 'Phileas' <F> on florescent yellow paper. (Ann would have my head!)

Nor do I plan to show how an ink looks from a calligraphic pen. I write, not draw. Other may do so, but not me. And I would be interested to see what calligraphers come up with.

TGIF,

S1

Sorry to be a bit OT but what do you think about the HP LaserJet 24# paper? Is it good enough for your purposes?

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

WOW !!! :notworthy1:

Sandy, I think this is an incredible review, and obviously a lot of thought and time was spent doing it. It lays new ground on what can be shown in a review. It is especially useful to see the various comparisons of nibs & papers, and gives me a bunch of new ideas for reviews. :eureka:

I'm going back and forth between yours and the one done by lapis, both give a great understanding of this ink.

Thank you !!!

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Excellent review, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Sorry to be a bit OT but what do you think about the HP LaserJet 24# paper? Is it good enough for your purposes?

Hi,

As I think I mentioned elsewhere,

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=144831&pid=1446320&start=&st=#entry1446320

Yes indeed, I am quite happy with the paper. It is not as 'absorbent' as the Clairefontaine, but is much more absorbent than the G Lalo. The 7/10 I gave it seems right.

The i-g inks certainly tend to perform well on marginal to cr*ppy paper, so for this Review, I believe paper is less of a factor than non i-g inks. (??)

That said, looking at my jottings next to the computer, which today are on the HP paper with the PR 'Cosmic Cobalt' from a Targa <M>, there's no problem at all; and writing on both sides of the sheet is perfectly fine for jottings. Just enough tooth to the page that the pen doesn't go slip-sliding off the page like on Clairefontaine (oopsy).

Bye,

S1

Hi,

As I think I mentioned elsewhere,

http://www.fountainp...t=#entry1446320

Yes indeed, I am quite happy with the paper. It is not as 'absorbent' as the Clairefontaine, but is much more absorbent than the G Lalo. The 7/10 I gave it seems right.

The i-g inks certainly tend to perform well on marginal to cr*ppy paper, so for this Review, I believe paper is less of a factor than non i-g inks. (??)

That said, looking at my jottings next to the computer, which today are on the HP paper with the PR 'Cosmic Cobalt' from a Targa <M>, there's no problem at all; and writing on both sides of the sheet is perfectly fine for jottings. Just enough tooth to the page that the pen doesn't go slip-sliding off the page like on Clairefontaine (oopsy).

Bye,

S1

Sandy, have you compared it to the HP Premium Choice LaserJet 32# I got a ream of that thinking it was the better HP LaserJet people had mentioned.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Hi,

I haven't looked at the 32 lb. I like the 24 lb as a utility paper. I won't pretend or mis-represent it as a fine paper such as Clairefontaine or Lalo. OK, the HP is acid-free, which is a bonus, not a requirement.

As mentioned, it seems to me that the advantages of using fine paper may be greatly diminished (visually) when using an i-g ink.

I certainly intend to continue with the 3 papers in my reviews. If a practitioner sees no difference/advantage to using a top tier paper, then they wont incur the cost, or have 2nd thoughts / doubts about not using a fine paper. An informed choice is all I can even think to represent.

Or if I have a certain ink+paper combo that I think is amazing, you can be sure I will share. (and take the heat for being off-base.) OK, if I do review R&K 'solferino', you bet I'll include the yellow paper. (& endure the wrath of Ann. She may well have me stand in a corner until I come to my senses, which may take years.)

Bye

S1

Excellent and thorough review! Glad I followed the link after reading about your new scanner. Not only nice scans, but great review. Thanks! :thumbup:

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

very informative and engaging review.

thanks

helps to confirm my pref for waterman blue black (oops)

________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.

Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)

very informative and engaging review.

thanks

helps to confirm my pref for waterman blue black (oops)

-1 +1

I use the Parker Quink 'Blue Black' in my daily writer, and have done so since my 1st FP. Consequently, it has become my 'signature' ink. (People have actually called me about unsigned/uninitialed marginalia I made on Reports, Papers, etc. from previous jobs, just because they recognise my scrawl + ink.)

Anyway, if PQBlBk wasn't already my signature ink, I'd switch to MBMB.

If you prefer the WBlBk, then this review is of use because you're well enough informed to not go for the MBMB. So I'll take your comment as a (backhand) compliment!

Bye,

S1

After a period of 2 or 3 years of black-ink-only, I've swapped to Montblanc blueblack and Parker blueblack, which were also a long time favorite. I don't know how long will it last, but I'm enjoying it right now.

Very informative review!!

Juan

• 2 months later...

I ordered MB Blue-Black but I got this instead(MB Midnight Blue). Is this the same thing?