Cross 150th Anniversary Limited Edition 1996

Easterner

Hi everyone,

After spending a few days on the FPN, I was inspired to look for my small (5) collection of pens. They have not been seen for many years and three moves ago. Well, after much searching, I finally found three of them--in the last place they could be of course.

I had completely forgotten about purchasing one of them. To my complete surprise and pleasure, (thanks to PenHero)it turns out to be a Cross 150th Anniversary Limited Edition. Alas, it does not have the wooden case or the crystal ink bottle or the converter; however, it appears to be unused. The black box does contain a tag with the pen number, loops for three pens and two cartridges underneath in the bottom.

Now, what to do? Should I keep in its pristine condition or use it. If I decide to use it, is it safe to use the old cartridges or should I buy a new converter?

I would appreciate any help. Now, back to my "Happy Dance". :bunny01:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Easterner

• CRB

• Tumbleweedtoo

• Dace

If the cartridges came with the pen, they're safe to use. The ink may have evaporated some, even through sealed plastic. They can also be refilled with a syringe, allowing you to use any ink you wish.

As to whether to use the pen, that depends on how much you want to use it, and if you are curious to see what it writes like, etc. My reaction to any new pen is, "Oh boy, let's see what it writes like", but that's just me. Anyway, congratulations on finding the hidden treasure! Can you post a picture?

Cheers,

Joe

From my experience, the converter is a special converter unlike the ones that Cross currently sells. If I were you I would write Cross immediately and tell them what you have and that it does not have a converter and you would like to buy one for your pen. If they have any in stock, and they probably do, you will probably be able to get the converter at a more than reasonable price. Let us know if you decide to use your pen and what you think of it. :-)

All the best,

T

I very much enjoy finding old pens I didn't know I owned or forget I owned.

As far as using it, I definately would. The way we honor anything is by using it.

• 1 year later...

Just curious, but what nib size is that 150th? I just bought one, and I'm unsure how to determine the nib size. I believe it is the letter M in the lower left of the nib closest to the section as you point the nib away from you. But, upon examination, the nib looks to me as though it could be a Broad nib (just from my experience). Any help on this? :)

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

• 8 years later...

Thank you for the post. A friend has this pen but no converter. She went to local shop and was told the current Cross converter doesn’t fit this pen. Does anyone know if there is ANY converter (besides the original version for this pen) that can fit?I would like to know before telling her to use syringe to fill the emptied cartridge. Many thanks!

Thank you for the post. A friend has this pen but no converter. She went to local shop and was told the current Cross converter doesn’t fit this pen. Does anyone know if there is ANY converter (besides the original version for this pen) that can fit?I would like to know before telling her to use syringe to fill the emptied cartridge. Many thanks!

Judging by what another member said a few years ago, I would think that its a proprietary converter that only fits this pen. Like that user said, I would contact Cross. You never know, they may still have a box of these converters somewhere. If not, I would post a want ad in the classified section.