The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lamy Safari Cartridge Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 W4DM

W4DM

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:46

ok, i've just gotten a lamy safari with an extra fine nib, and from the beginning, its been a real pleasure to write with. i have a converter for it, but i was curious about what cartridges could be used with it when i travel. with some research here at FPN i figured that i would just have to keep a mini stash of cartridges.

BUT AFTER SOME CREATIVE GOOGLING:
http://www.flyertalk...pen-flight.html

and i quote from the above link by tfar at the number 12 spot:
"For the price it is hard to beat the Safari and they are almost indestructible. Plus they take virtually any cartridge you can throw at them, short or long or thin or thick; doesn't matter. "

i find this interesting and figured i'd speak up about it.

anyone know if this is true? anyone tried this out?

Sponsored Content

#2 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:19

Hi,

Large grain (block) of salt here. As far as I know, the Lamy Safari will accept the international standard cartridges, which are made by many & sundry.

I rather doubt the Safari will accept other (proprietary) standards, such as Sheaffer, Parker, and others.

The Lamy Safari barrel is voluminous, so can contain big, small, slender, plump, svelte international standard cartridges.

If other practitioners have different experience, I'm sure they'll chime in with vigor.

Best Regards,
S1

EDIT - To add :

P.S. I hope you have acquired the Pink Safari. Uber cool. Ultra chic.

Edited by Sandy1, 10 March 2010 - 06:22.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#3 Pfhorrest

Pfhorrest

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:33

I have had no problem fitting short international carts.
The sword is mightier than the pen. However, swords are now obsolete whereas pens are not.

-Unknown

#4 Ondina

Ondina

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:26

International cartridges do fit (although I find them a bit more loose than the proprietary Lamy ones). I have never tried with Parker, Pilot, etc, but I doubt they would work sue to the very different "mouth" sizes of those carts.

#5 laplume

laplume

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 14:46

Lamy carts are not easily found at times....I refill mine.

#6 Possum Hill

Possum Hill

It's just ink. Get a grip.

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 15:08

ok, i've just gotten a lamy safari with an extra fine nib, and from the beginning, its been a real pleasure to write with. i have a converter for it, but i was curious about what cartridges could be used with it when i travel. with some research here at FPN i figured that i would just have to keep a mini stash of cartridges.

BUT AFTER SOME CREATIVE GOOGLING:
http://www.flyertalk...pen-flight.html

and i quote from the above link by tfar at the number 12 spot:
"For the price it is hard to beat the Safari and they are almost indestructible. Plus they take virtually any cartridge you can throw at them, short or long or thin or thick; doesn't matter. "

i find this interesting and figured i'd speak up about it.

anyone know if this is true? anyone tried this out?

The opening in a Lamy cartridge is about .122 inches in diameter. An international cartridge is sealed with a ball about .100 inches in diameter, so an international cartridge should seal, if you can get it on the Lamy's cartridge spike and if the mouth of the international cartridge doesn't split when stretched.

You might want to buy a box of international cartridges, try one in the pen and keep the rest for traveling.
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it." -- Winston Churchill

#7 haziz

haziz

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 00:18

Lamy inks are excellent. Their blue is a very nice Royal blue color and their black is reported to be one of the few washable black inks out there, a huge plus in my book. I would stick to Lamy cartridges in a Lamy Safari, though I use a lot of international cartridges (mainly Pelikan inks) in pens designed to use them. In the Lamy however I use Lamy cartridges.

Sincerely,

Hany.

#8 Anne-Sophie

Anne-Sophie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:42

Lamy inks are excellent. Their blue is a very nice Royal blue color and their black is reported to be one of the few washable black inks out there, a huge plus in my book. I would stick to Lamy cartridges in a Lamy Safari, though I use a lot of international cartridges (mainly Pelikan inks) in pens designed to use them. In the Lamy however I use Lamy cartridges.

Sincerely,

Hany.

I would do the same, it is never fun to find oneself with a pen case, a bag, a shirt or a suit full of ink. W hile traveling, it is even more of a gamble.

I would buy Lamy proprietary cartridge and keep the empties to refill them, they are the strongest looking cartridges around.

Waterman long cartridges are a close second.

I will be keeping an eye on that "shove any kind of cartridge in a fountain pen" traveler.

Waiting for :gaah: :headsmack:

Not nice of me, I know. :blush:
Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

#9 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:02

The Lamy Safari also takes Parker cartridges.

I bought a pack of short Parker Quink pink cartridges to match my pink Safari and it works perfectly. :thumbup:
Posted Image

#10 *david*

*david*

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,508 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 23:31

Regular Parker cartridges fit a Safari (or at least close enough). Parker and Lamy have the same (considerably larger) size opening on the cartridge than most of the others do. (I think Aurora may also use this size, but I don't have one.)

"International" cartridges really don't fit, but I guess you could force one if you had to (e.g. you absolutely had to get something written down in ink, and these were the only pen and the only ink you had). I would never try re-using an "international" cartridge that had been abused by forcing it this way. It would probably be stretched out of shape, and could very likely be cracked as well.

#11 W4DM

W4DM

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 00:31

thanks everyone. i'll just keep a mini stash of lamy carts then.

sooo... basically wider mouthed carts are the safest way to go in a pinch? around here you can find parker carts pretty easily.

#12 Aunt Jill

Aunt Jill

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 00:47

Lamy inks are excellent ... and their black is reported to be one of the few washable black inks out there, a huge plus in my book. I

Sincerely,

Hany.

Funny you should mention this. I posted about inky fingers today and just now I washed Lamy black off my hands with no problem. Quelle surprise!
Are Lamy's other ink colors washable as well?

—Jill
Let there be light. Then let there be a cat, a cocktail, and a good book.

#13 lourdesgirl101

lourdesgirl101

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:07

Funny you should mention this. I posted about inky fingers today and just now I washed Lamy black off my hands with no problem. Quelle surprise!
Are Lamy's other ink colors washable as well?

—Jill

Their blue is washable.  It's the one that is actually marketed as "washable."  I have to say, even in a cartridge, Lamy blue black is rather permenant.

#14 NedC

NedC

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:47

Lamy black is fairly water resistant once it gets on paper, or clothing for that matter:) Aurora and Parker cartridges do fit but seem, very slightly, looser that Lamy cartridges. The force that seemed necessary to seat an international standard cartridge exceeded my comfort level and I abandoned that attempt.

#15 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 14:19

Hi,

Apparently the Monteverde cartridges have an International fitting on one end, and a Lamy-specific fitting on the other.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#16 Christi0469

Christi0469

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2013 - 14:25

I wouldn't use any other cartridges than the ones specified. It would be an unhappy surprise to find that a cartridge had failed.

#17 Christi0469

Christi0469

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2013 - 14:28

[quote name="Sandy1" post="2735127" timestamp="1375107580"]Hi,

Apparently the Monteverde cartridges have an International fitting on one end, and a Lamy-specific fitting on the other.

Bye,
S1[/quote

That's a clever idea.

#18 Chthulhu

Chthulhu

Rawr.

• Member - Gold

• 2,472 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 15:17

While it may be possible to force an international-type cartridge over the Lamy nipple, the cartridge is left unsupported at the other end. A Lamy cartridge fits against a stop at the bottom of the barrel which prevents it from coming off the nipple, similar to other well-designed cartridge pens.

I just did a few test fits with empty cartridges, and was unable to get a short international to fit over the nipple with the amount of force I was willing to apply.

A long Waterman cartridge was too long to allow the barrel to be closed, even if I could (barely) force it over the nipple.

A Platinum cartridge fell off the nipple.

A Parker cartridge fit, though not snugly, over the nipple. It's of a length that the barrel seemed to support, but unscrewing the barrel took the cartridge off the nipple, and it was simply wedged in the barrel.

A Sheaffer cartridge was too fat at the nipple end to fit far enough into the section to reach the nipple.

Mike Hungerford
http://goo.gl/dUVnUZ

#19 Newjelan

Newjelan

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,502 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:12

Hi,

Bye,

S1

Wow! Thanks for that - I don't like the Lamy ink colours, so Monteverde could be an option for me when travelling. 

#20 lourdesgirl101

lourdesgirl101

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2013 - 16:30

Wow! Thanks for that - I don't like the Lamy ink colours, so Monteverde could be an option for me when travelling. 

Make sure you buy the "Monteverde for Lamy" cartridges.  They are two different kind of cartridges.  You can find them on Jet Pens and Amazon.

Sponsored Content

|