instructions for century cross pencil 0.9mm

ctos

Does anyone know how to change the lead in a Cross Century 0.9mm pencil? Is there an online FAQ? The cross.com site doesn't give any instructions, at least not in the FAQ section. Thanks for any help! :blush:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RLTodd

• ctos

• Russ

• sriramoman

Top Posters In This Topic

Twist cap all the way clockwise until the pusher peeks out of the tip and clicks back. Insert lead and trun cap counter clockwise until the lead is about 1/32 inch remaining out of the tip. Press the lead sticking out gently on the table to seat the lead firmly in the mechanism. Write on....

YMMV

Ah, I see now, I got it to work. Thanks!

--

Thanks! Let's see: when I try to turn the cap (part with the clip on it, right?) clockwise, the movement stops before I see the pusher. The lead currently in place doesn't fall out or anything. Is there supposed to be some resistance that I should apply some force to?

Edited by ctos

Ah, I see now, I got it to work. Thanks!

--

Thanks! Let's see: when I try to turn the cap (part with the clip on it, right?) clockwise, the movement stops before I see the pusher. The lead currently in place doesn't fall out or anything. Is there supposed to be some resistance that I should apply some force to?

It should have a very little resistance at the end of the pushers full travel after turning the cap clockwise as viewed looking down at the top of the cap. (Very little force is necessary to work the action.) This is immediately after the pusher has pushed the lead out of the pencil, it sticks out a little bit, there is the slight resistance and then it clicks back. You might try backing the pusher up with counter clockwise turns and then clockwise again a time or two to see if it comes out and clicks back.

If it will not hold lead, the gripper doesn't engage the end of the lead, the mechanism could be damaged. These are sturdy mechanisms, but they do fail on rare occasion.

Cross covers their writing instruments with a lifetime guarantee and if it is damaged you will have to contact them. (as to whether they are repairing the .036 inch pencils or replacing them with the new 0.5mm Classics) Last time I used their guarantee it was something like 7$ to $10 for shipping and handling and about six weeks turn around to Rhode Island. The first time I used it was thirty years ago when I dropped my pencil and broke the nose off. Then they paid the shipping & handling and I had a new pencil back in two weeks. (things change)

YMMV

I mailed a Cross Century FP back after 15 years of use, and Cross surprised me. They mailed a new Classic Century II FP, no questions asked. I wonder if they even read the letter I submitted offering to pay for repair; the pen had sentimental value.

Cross doesn't seem to have the splash of popularity enjoyed by other manufacturers, but they have my loyalty.

• 4 years later...

Its pathetic and difficult to fill a 0.9mm cross pencil: We need to learn some circus, balancing the expensive pen in one hand, pushing the extremely fragile, long lead with another hand AND twisting the barrel!

• 8 months later...

Its pathetic and difficult to fill a 0.9mm cross pencil: We need to learn some circus, balancing the expensive pen in one hand, pushing the extremely fragile, long lead with another hand AND twisting the barrel!

Hi Sriramoman,

I have the sterling silver 0.9 pencil and am very fond of it.

You can do this filling also in the following way. Take the pencil with the tip pointing up. Take the cap into your left hand and twist the barrel with your right hand. Twist the barrel until the spend lead is pushed fully out of the tip, the metal rod appears and you feel a click. Twist the barrel all the way back until you cannot twist further. Still with the tip upwards insert a new lead into the tip; it should very easily slip into the barrel. Twist the barrel again in the other direction until the lead appears in the tip and sticks out about 5mm. Take something hard in you right hand, for instance the coffee mug and hold this above the tip and push the pencil lead against this hard thing pushing the lead into the fixation.

Ready.

Regards,

- Flere.

smilehttp://home.kpn.nl/geele160/pinno.gifand enjoy the moment

• 2 years later...

Spare leads are kept in the barrel under the eraser.

Born British, English by the Grace of God.

I'm not sure if the mechanisms have been changed from the pencil that was being discussed in the original thread, 2006 (!) but my Classic Century maybe slightly different (a 2011 version), or I just don't understand the descriptions given...... that is very likely.

I found that the cap can be rotated from the 'start' (blue line in my photo) position in 2 different directions, clockwise and anti-clockwise,

First to advance the 'guard' and the lead, turn the cap clockwise around almost 180 degrees, ( to the green line on my photo) pushing against the internal spring, will advance the metal 'guard' and then the lead, about 1mm,.

Then let the spring return the cap to 'start' posiiton. (blue line.)

I find another 'advance' is needed to push another 1mm of lead out, to be able to write normally.

To return the lead and lead 'guard' back into the pencil body, turn the cap around anti-clockwise, (to the red line on my photo, and a 'click' will be noticed) and push the lead and 'guard' into the pencil with a finger tip, or press it on your paper.

Return the cap to the 'start' position, (blue line.) Another 'click' will be noticed.

If it is required to change the lead, advance the lead out to about 10mm, let the cap return to 'start' position, then turn the cap anti-clockwise to the red line on my photo, the lead can be removed and replaced with a new one, easily, as it is not being held by the mechanism at this point.

Once the lead has been replaced, turn the cap clockwise to the 'start' position, (blue line.)

Hope that makes sense., if only for the Classic Century pencil, but possibly will apply to other Cross pencils too.

Edited by Mike 59