Many Inexpensive Piston Fillers

smeden

I would like to add that my 1745 also had flow problems- even after countless flushing. The solution was to rinse, flush, and let it sit for a while in soapy water. Worked wonders.

Thank you for sharing this. It is certainly more effective to soak them with soapy water than to flush them countlessly.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smeden

• ScottT

• kwpalzang

• Jimmy James

I ordered and paid 4 pens (2xP120, 2x717) Monday evening, and they were delivered to my house this (Thursday) morning! Amazing speed from the seller, bubble envelope, pens exactly as described (or better, the P120 looks really great even if 30 yrs old NOS ) and they write great too! 2-3 days from Finland to Italy, unbelievable.

• 2 weeks later...

All pens in this thread are still available except for the Dollar 717 Calligraphy in burgundy (only one pen left).

From May 3d to May 9th I am not able to ship or even answering messages. But I will handle your messages and orders again from Sunday 9th and will ship again from May 10th.

I am sorry about the inconvenience this may cause you and hope for your understanding.

New orders are welcome again and shipped immediately all business days.

I also believe I have answered to all PMs and email messages. If you have contacted me and have not received a reply, please contact me again.

I live in Germany, and they have been on Ebay here, also NOS.

I bought a Reform P-120. Because it sat for some 30 years, it needed a bit of brown paper bag, to clear up microscopic nib tip corrosion.

Now it writes very well indeed.

I like that pen so much. I finally bought the P-125 and the 1745, and they should be coming in soon.

Reform held it's own in the School market for a few decades in Germany, vs Pelikan, Geha, and Lamy.

The P-120 is a well made, inexpensive pen. Sort of the Esterbrook of Germany.

I expect the other two Reforms to be as good.

Thank you for the tips about silicon grease.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Sorry Smeden, neglected to report in when I got my pens - all four arrived safely, and they work great =) I think the calligraphy needed a little breaking in but now writes without skipping very reliably.

I was wondering if the nib/feed assembly was swappable between the calligraphy pens and the demonstrators? That would be AWESOME =)

Sorry Smeden, neglected to report in when I got my pens - all four arrived safely, and they work great =) I think the calligraphy needed a little breaking in but now writes without skipping very reliably.

I was wondering if the nib/feed assembly was swappable between the calligraphy pens and the demonstrators? That would be AWESOME =)

Yes, in fact they are swappable because the nib and feed are press fitted into the section. I am little hesitant to recommend someone to do this but it is not too difficult, really. You have to get a strong grip to pull the feed out. Use pliers if you are brave. The nib and feed only fit back in one possession so this step is easier.

Edited by smeden

I have some new pens for sale along with the Dollar pens I have sold here for some time. The new pens are the well known Reform 1745 and a slightly bigger Reform, the P 120. Both are NOS.

The Dollar Student pen is still on sale for 3.00 $ as long as my stock lasts. I have also reduced the price for the Dollar SP-10 to 5.00 $.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_-Ff-kp_6e3A/S5PR4aq4k6I/AAAAAAAAAKI/gEkG-J7HdUI/s640/Reform1745.jpg

Reform 1745 8.00 $

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_-Ff-kp_6e3A/S5PR4icuIwI/AAAAAAAAAJk/D8_zCXLtHJk/s640/ReformP120.jpg

Reform P 120 8.00 $

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_-Ff-kp_6e3A/S5PR4At_XsI/AAAAAAAAAJY/TU8NRBsgXGc/s640/Dollardemos.jpg

Dollar 717i Demonstrator 7.00 $

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_-Ff-kp_6e3A/S0zsxuWXEBI/AAAAAAAAAFY/xN9PNZ8uSWo/s640/dollr717i.jpg

Dollar 717i Opaque 7.00 $

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_-Ff-kp_6e3A/S0zsxXo6thI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/bDEAALMk0J0/s640/calligraphy.jpg

Dollar 717 Calligraphy 7.00 $

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_-Ff-kp_6e3A/S1sXmTxUI9I/AAAAAAAAAHM/1ymuWjnqj74/s512/Callygraphy2.jpg

The Dollar Calligraphy nib

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_-Ff-kp_6e3A/S5PR4PNKEsI/AAAAAAAAAJc/4H_nMrf-f_s/s640/DollarSP10.jpg

Dollar SP-10 5.00 $

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_-Ff-kp_6e3A/S0ztPeTMyQI/AAAAAAAAAF8/UVr5sJ_uCos/s640/studentpenkorr.jpg

Dollar Student pen 3.00 Sale!

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_-Ff-kp_6e3A/S4qVPSl7l8I/AAAAAAAAAI4/8tvY3vFzArI/s640/img_0071%20%28%C3%84ndrad%20i%20Bildvisare%20%282%29%29.jpg

Dollar Student pen, box of 12, 38.00 $ Shipping included in price!

Shipping

Shipping fees start from 3.00 €. I calculate the costs based on the total weight of the shipment so PM me for a quote before ordering. I do not overcharge shipping costs.

Shipping is always with fast Priority Mail.

To order:

PM me and I will give you a quote including shipping costs and my PayPal account address. You can also reach me with direct email. I am smeden717 at hotmail.com.

All prices are in U.S. dollars. Please contact me for a quote in euros if you are in Europe.

The small print

The Reform pens are NOS and have been stored for more than 30 years. Some of the pistons are a bit stiff and not as smooth as a new piston. This is more typical with the 1745 than with the P 120. Luckily this is easy to fix with the 1745 by lubricating the piston with a very small amount of silicone grease. I do this with every 1745 unless you specify that you don't want it lubed.

I don't know how to do this on the P 120 because the nib and feed are not easy to remove. Luckily these pistons are not so stiff but Noodlers eel ink would certainly do good to these pens.

Please flush all Reform and Dollar pens with luke warm water before filling them with ink.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you might have.

Update 19.5

All pens here are still avilable.

The Dollar Callligraphy pen in burgundy is sold out. The last one is on hold. Other colors available.

The Reform P 120 is in plentiful stock after new delivery.

Special offer May 19 to May 25.

Buy only one pen and shipping is reduced to 1.00 USD world wide.

Examples:

1 studentPen 4.00 $ Including world wide shipping!

1 Dollar SP-10 6.00 $ Including world wide shipping!

1 Dollar 717i 8.00 $ Including world wide shipping!

1 Reform 1745 9.00 $ Including world wide shipping!

1 Reform P 120 9.00 $ Including world wide shipping!

To take advantage of this one pen offer. Just pay the price to my PayPal account: portkatterno(at)gmail.com. Make a note of your choice of pen and possible color.

Edited by smeden

Has Reform P 120 finer nib than 1745?

I would say they are about the same but I have not used the two pens very often. I am a Dollar and Lamy guy :mellow:

Maybe someone who has used both could say their opinion here ?

Edited by smeden

Ordered 6 Dollar Demonstrators - fantastic delivery - came within 3 days.

Great pens too - first Dollar pen I have used and very happy - get one while they are still going

Smeden is also a great person to deal with.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by GeorgeWP

Okay, I've just sent you $8.00 for a Dollar demonstrator pen. I'd prefer that the section be black. Yeah, I'll play with a piston filler a little bit to see what it's like.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Got my pens, happy enough with the transaction I'm getting another. Thanks, Peter! Also, now I have some sweet canceled Finnish stamps :)

Received my Dollar 717i Demonstrator yesterday. Less than 1 week to NY. Thanks smeden.

Received Dollar demonstrator today (shipping only took a week). It has gone to a friend who is new to fountain pens and he's very happy with it. Thanks, Smeden!

Got my demonstrator this morning. Really quick shipping :thumbup: .

Born British, English by the Grace of God.

I would love to get a Reform 1745 if they're still available. I've been looking for a cheap one for a few days, and yours fit the bill!

Edited by TedwardRoberts

Parker "51" Special - my baby

Lamy Safari

Newark Pen Co Secretary

Paper Glide Promo Pen for Agamie Bros Deli

Hero 616

Waterman Phileas

Update 19.5

All pens here are still avilable.

The Dollar Callligraphy pen in burgundy is sold out. The last one is on hold. Other colors available.

The Reform P 120 is in plentiful stock after new delivery.

Special offer May 19 to May 25.

Buy only one pen and shipping is reduced to 1.00 USD world wide.

Examples:

1 studentPen 4.00 $ Including world wide shipping!

1 Dollar SP-10 6.00 $ Including world wide shipping!

1 Dollar 717i 8.00 $ Including world wide shipping!

1 Reform 1745 9.00 $ Including world wide shipping!

1 Reform P 120 9.00 $ Including world wide shipping!

To take advantage of this one pen offer. Just pay the price to my PayPal account: portkatterno(at)gmail.com. Make a note of your choice of pen and possible color.

Does this special price on shipping still stand?

http://i.imgur.com/EZMTw.gif "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" -Aldous Huxley

Parker 45 F, Lamy Safari EF, Lamy 2000 F, TWSBI Diamond 530 F, Reform 1745 F, Hero 616 F, Pilot Varsity F, Pilot 78g F,

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files