• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smeden

• ScottT

• kwpalzang

• Jimmy James

Argh! I just ordered two 1745's and am waiting on them to arrive, but if i'd just waited a few more days I could have bought two P 120s too. >< Next time :)

Edited by Juicyjones

"If we faked going to the Moon, why did we fake it nine times?" -- Apollo 16 astronaut Charlie Duke

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4447835438_d7314170bf_o.png

Update.

I have received one report of ink flow problems with the Reform 1745s. I don't know how common this is but I have contacted my supplier in Germany and he says flushing with warm water several times will help. This is needed because these pens have been stored for at least 30 years.

Please feel free to contact me if your 1745 came with an ink flow problem that you cannot solve on your own.

From now on I will clean all feeds for the 1745 in my ultrasonic cleaner and check every pen with ink until I am sure the treatment works and the pens write as they should.

I have no reports of similar problems with the P 120.

I had flow problems on one of mine. However, after being flushed with water for a while it worked well and there weren't any more issues.

My thoughts are as scattered as the frozen winds of November swept across the harvested fields of my mind. ~ Justin - damaging things since 1973

I had flow problems on one of mine. However, after being flushed with water for a while it worked well and there weren't any more issues.

Thanks for this information. Cleaning in my ultrasonic cleaner also seems to work very well so I do this as a matter of routine from now on with all 1745s that I sell. Doing this, I don't consider it necessary any longer to ink every pen.

It is like no other calligraphy or italic pen I have, it gives an "asian italic" instead of the conventional "western italic", very nice indeed.

How does it differ?

It is indeed pretty different line, though very nice with a lot of character. I would need to show you a written example to explain but these nibs look at this by now here

Indeed this question makes me think a little comparative review may be nice. Let me see I find the time to do one.

Edited by Dr Lopez

In my current rotation:

Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise/14K Fine/J. Herbin Cafe des Iles

Lamy 2000/14K Medium/Lamy Blue-Black

Sailor 1911 Large burgundy/21K Naginata Togi Medium/Diamine Oxblood

Montblanc 146/14K Fine/Montblanc Racing Green

Rosetta blue/Steel Pendelton cursive italic/Pelikan Royal Blue

Delta Passion/18K Broad/Diamine Syrah

Update.

I have received one report of ink flow problems with the Reform 1745s. I don't know how common this is but I have contacted my supplier in Germany and he says flushing with warm water several times will help. This is needed because these pens have been stored for at least 30 years.

Please feel free to contact me if your 1745 came with an ink flow problem that you cannot solve on your own.

From now on I will clean all feeds for the 1745 in my ultrasonic cleaner and check every pen with ink until I am sure the treatment works and the pens write as they should.

I have no reports of similar problems with the P 120.

It is my understanding that Reforms 1745 nibs come NOS with some sort of oils and flushing and filling with water is required. Actually, flushing a few times any new pen is always recommended to remove these chemicals but more the case in pens stored for 30 years. I also sold some batch of these pens a few months ago here and flushed the pens before shipping.

In my current rotation:

Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise/14K Fine/J. Herbin Cafe des Iles

Lamy 2000/14K Medium/Lamy Blue-Black

Sailor 1911 Large burgundy/21K Naginata Togi Medium/Diamine Oxblood

Montblanc 146/14K Fine/Montblanc Racing Green

Rosetta blue/Steel Pendelton cursive italic/Pelikan Royal Blue

Delta Passion/18K Broad/Diamine Syrah

It is indeed pretty different line, though very nice with a lot of character. I would need to show you a written example to explain but these nibs look at this by now here

Indeed this question makes me think a little comparative review may be nice. Let me see I find the time to do one.

I'd appreciate that, thanks. I can see that the nib looks different from western or italic stub nibs, but I can't figure out what the effect on the line is.

--Carmen

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Reform 1745s and a Dollar pen yesterday. Very happy customer here, thanks Smeden.

"If we faked going to the Moon, why did we fake it nine times?" -- Apollo 16 astronaut Charlie Duke

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4447835438_d7314170bf_o.png

Received both Reform models and the Dollar 717i Demonstrators.

All pens are inked and working well. I didn't expect much from the Demonstrators because of their price point but they have surprised me. The nib on one was quite smooth and the other needed just a little writing on a paper bag to smooth it out.

Smeden is great to work with and shipped my package quickly.

Thanks!

Nib sizes

The Dollar studentPen has a Medium sized nib.

All other pens in my post including the Reforms have Fine nibs. The fine nib of the Dollar pens are sometimes described as a fine medium but it is definitely not Broad.

Hi!

Do you have any more Dollar demonstrators as well as Calligraphy? Would like one of each. Is the Calligraphy also a piston filler?

Hi!

Do you have any more Dollar demonstrators as well as Calligraphy? Would like one of each. Is the Calligraphy also a piston filler?

All Dollar fps including the Calligraphy model are piston fillers

I have sent you a pm with order instructions.

smeden

Whoops, I should have mentioned that I got my pens last week. Thanks, Smeden! I'm really liking the demonstrator; I think I have yet to find the right ink for the Reform.

--Carmen

Whoops, I should have mentioned that I got my pens last week. Thanks, Smeden! I'm really liking the demonstrator; I think I have yet to find the right ink for the Reform.

I don't use the Reform 1745 myself but I remember that someone here recommended Midnight Blue for them. But this is a colour that at least Noodler and Diamine make an possibly even PR. However I think the poster meant Noodlers ink.

If the ink flow is a bit irregular with the 1745 the remedy is often, but not always, to screw out the nib and feed assembly by turning it anti-clockwise and clean it with water. An ultrasonic cleaner is best for this but an old toothbrush will also work quite well. Screw the assembly back clockwise and then there is a good chance that the ink flow has improved. While the nib and feed are off it is good practice to clean the ink tank buy flushing it with warm water using a syringe or something similar. Don't be afraid to do this; it is really simple.

I would like to add that my 1745 also had flow problems- even after countless flushing. The solution was to rinse, flush, and let it sit for a while in soapy water. Worked wonders.

-Srul

The other two pens (Reform P 120 and Dollar Demo work like a dream, though.

-Thanks

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files