Feeling Anti-Lamy

scratchy

Lately I've been feeling anti-Lamy. It seems every time someone asks what pen to get when starting out the answer is Lamy Safari or Lamy 2000. Then there's the inks, I'm not keen on them either and I don't like the look of the bottled ones either. I do own two Lamys, one Safari and an Al-star but they don't get much use as they seem to write dry. All this seems irrational. Are they really that great for newbies?

P.S. I gave someone a raspberry Al-star as a gift but she didn't use it.

Edited by scratchy

Sailor Professional Gear GT B Nib

Sailor Sapporo GT F Nib

Pelikan M1000 (black) B Nib

Bexley Simplicity bronze GT B nib

Pilot VP blue/GT B nib

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Silvermink

• Sailor Kenshin

• scratchy

• jleeper

They may not be the best pens but they're certainly amongst the best in their price ranges. I'm not all that keen on Lamy inks either but I do think the bottle design is quite clever.

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

Yes the prices certainly fit a niche in the market.

Sailor Professional Gear GT B Nib

Sailor Sapporo GT F Nib

Pelikan M1000 (black) B Nib

Bexley Simplicity bronze GT B nib

Pilot VP blue/GT B nib

I think this is the key point, I always recommend lamy safari for anyone who ask for a very inexpensive pen to start using FPs. For people used to write with cheap plastic ball points inexpensive usually means less than $30, and so they say when asking for recommendations. Of course I would recommend to by a Pelikan M200 at least to really experience fountain pen experience, but this is a price a newcomer is not always willing to pay. If you can recommend a pen for less than $30 that writes as good as lamy ...

Lamy inks is a different matter, I prefer much more easy running inks, specially for lamy safaris.

Edited by Dr Lopez

In my current rotation:

Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise/14K Fine/J. Herbin Cafe des Iles

Lamy 2000/14K Medium/Lamy Blue-Black

Sailor 1911 Large burgundy/21K Naginata Togi Medium/Diamine Oxblood

Montblanc 146/14K Fine/Montblanc Racing Green

Rosetta blue/Steel Pendelton cursive italic/Pelikan Royal Blue

Delta Passion/18K Broad/Diamine Syrah

I think this is the key point, I always recommend lamy safari for anyone who ask for a very inexpensive pen to start using FPs. For people used to write with cheap plastic ball points inexpensive usually means less than $30, and so they say when asking for recommendations. Of course I would recommend to by a Pelikan M200 at least to really experience fountain pen experience, but this is a price a newcomer is not always willing to pay. If you can recommend a pen for less than $30 that writes as good as lamy ...

Lamy inks is a different matter, I prefer much more easy running inks, specially for lamy safaris.

I always recommend Waterman Florida Blue to FP beginners because it behaves well and is easy to find.

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

Safaris are good pens. I find Pelikanos, Stypens, Inoxcroms, Pilot 78g's, Old stock Reforms and Waterman student pens even better, and at a lower price range. The Safari range is attractive and functional, and the nib changing system great. A bit too dry for my taste.

Honestly, my choices for inexpensive starter pens would be Esterbrooks and Pilot Elites. Of course, neither are currently in production, so I suppose it isn't a sustainable choice, but they are great reliable pens, and far cheaper than a Lamy 2000.

I'm with you Scratchy. Lamy doesn't do it for me either. A Raspberry Al-Star was my second non-disposable FP and it quickly fell out of favor with me. I sold it not too long ago. I was almost suckered into getting a Violet Studio just because of the color, but once I got to the store and test drove it I quickly remembered why I gave up my Al-Star. I got a Sailor Sapporo instead.

As for the ink. I'm neither here nor there about their colors, but the bottle design is very useful. That well in the bottom makes for easy use.

ETA: My recommendation for a starter pen is the Pilot Prera. It's about the same price, but a lot better.

Edited by dizzypen

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

Lately I've been feeling anti-Lamy. It seems every time someone asks what pen to get when starting out the answer is Lamy Safari or Lamy 2000. Then there's the inks, I'm not keen on them either and I don't like the look of the bottled ones either. I do own two Lamys, one Safari and an Al-star but they don't get much use as they seem to write dry. All this seems irrational. Are they really that great for newbies?

P.S. I gave someone a raspberry Al-star as a gift but she didn't use it.

Lamy does have a few strong points that should not be underestimated:

1. Lamy comes up with clever, innovative and appealing designs

2. Lamy consciously caters to the middle price segment and offers good value for money

3. Lamy designs ergonomic pens aimed at beginners and school children

4. Lamy has an excellent customer service

If there was one thing I could change about Lamy pens, then I would take steps to ensure that Lamy pens write wetter and skip less.

It may have to do with the fact that I write fast, but I have come across a few Lamys (roughly about 1/3 of my Lamys) that wrote too dry for my taste, had a tendency to skip on vertical strokes after the first page and had to be sent in for adjustment.

I also own a single Lamy Safari, which was initially intended for school children but rapidly caught on with adults, and this pen writes surprisingly well for a pen in this price range.

Even the ink; Lamy inks may not be to everybody's liking, but the clever 50 ml bottle design shows attention to detail and if someone looks for an iron-gall ink that has no negative side-effects, Lamy Blue-Black in the bottle is an inexpensive, reliable choice.

Maybe Lamy is a bit the the Volkswagen Beetle of old, it was so common and ubiquitous that people started getting bored with it and did no longer see the obvious qualities.

B.

Personaly, I find the grip of the Safari really annoying, and I wouldn't recommand it to a beginner (which is somewhat contradictory, you might say). A wish: Safari with a "normal" grip...

The 2K is maybe somewhat too expensive for a beginner (as is the Pelikan m200), but it is all that a FP should be, and it writes really easily (maybe too much).

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

The Lamy 2000 looks good on paper, but I have read many stories of shoddy QC. Perhaps there's a reason why they can sell a gold-nibbed piston filler for a shade over a hundred bucks.

I'm with Ondina on the Pelikanos - excellent pens for the money.

I'm with Namo on the Safari grip - the only reason I don't own one.

I always recommend Bay State Blue for a starter ink.... (not). :lol:

Carl

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

I have seen people that never held a fp having trouble with the way to put the nib on the paper. The Lamys with ergonomic grip are good "teachers" for that purpose.

Regarding the Lamy ink, I didn't like it either, the flow wasn't as good as other mainstream brands, making for a dry writing experience. For the everyday use I am a fan o Quink and Waterman. I also had the same issues of dry feel and difficult start with the Sailor Jentle ink, has someone experienced that as well?

Fabio

My thoughts concerning Lamys as good vs. bad starter pens are mostly on the positive end of the spectrum; my very first fountain pen was a Lamy Al-star. This pen not only wrote without hesitation each time I put its nib to paper, it also was a fairly smooth (I like a bit of feedback), adequately wet, and comfortable writer. The grip hasn't bothered me, but this, I believe, is a personal preference aspect. The clip (as is the entire pen) is extremely utilitarian; it's such a breeze slipping this pen into a pocket without having to manually lift the clip.

There isn't anything negative I have to say for my Lamy - and I emphasize, my Lamy; as others have said, their Safaris/Al-stars were often dry, skippy writers. I have never experienced this issue, and the above praise reflects only my Lamy's track record. :rolleyes:

I've never used Lamy ink, so I've nothing to say regarding it.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Shinma

-Daniel

"Τὰ πάντα ῥεῖ καὶ οὐδὲν μένει." ~Ἡράκλειτος

"No one should be embarrassed to make the inquiries necessary to learn." ~Anon

I have no particular problems with the two Safaris that I have, except for the grip. As a lefty underwriter, my fingers don't quite want to be where the grip wants them to be! I've experimented on one of the Safaris and sanded off the sharp top edges on the grip. It feels better in the hand. For me, at least. That said, I'd rather use my Pelikan M200 but it's cheaper to experiment with nibs on the Lamy. I've modified all three italic nibs into left obliques. 

What I find better again than the grip on the Safari is the grip on the Lamy nexx/M. Slightly fatter, still triangulated, but rubberised and softer. Much nicer in the hand, for me. Aluminium body, too, at about Safari price, and takes the same nibs.

In use I've had no problems with skipping, dryness or the like. First time start with adequate wetness, for both Safari and nexx/M.

As an alternative starter pen, how about the Pelikan Style? In the same field as the Pelikano, with soft grip area on the section. Here in the UK about the same price as the Safari/nexx/M

Derick

Here is my take of this issue.

I dont like Lamy pens in general as I like higher quality pens and they must have a self filling mechanism.

Saying that the Lamy 2000 is a favorite pen of mine and I will advice everyone to get it!!!

It is MY experience that my Lamy 2000 is one of the wettest, smoothest, and responsive pens I ever owened.

It is a pen that is simply designed but has all the ingrediantes to turn it into an AMAZING writer.

Perfect balance, piston filler, inkview window, near perfect nib made of 14K solid gold and all for 89$.

Yes 89$ for all these goodies.

No other pen in the world gives you all these for this little.

This pen writes as good as the best of my pens like MB's, Visconti's, Omas and Sailor.

I left the pen for 2 weeks with no writing then put it on the paper and it wrote BEAUTIFULLY and perfectly on the spot.

This is my experience and I LOVE my L2K :cloud9: :wub: :cloud9: :wub:

Respect to all

I like some of their pens like the 2000 and the CP1. I like the responsiveness of their Gold nibs. I dont like their very stiff steel nibs very much.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

This pen writes as good as the best of my pens like MB's, Visconti's, Omas and Sailor.

This is my experience and I LOVE my L2K :cloud9: :wub: :cloud9: :wub:

Sounds like you should sell off your WE collection and keep just Lamy 2000 -- although I think with sales proceeds you could probably a spare or two. ;)

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

I am not a huge fan of the grippy thing - as many have suggested. However, the nib is stiff - which provides for an easier transition to using an FP, the body of the pen is dang near indestructible, and they are cheap.

However, the most compelling point, as a first, or starter, FP is their proliferation in the marketplace. They are available in MANY brick and mortar stores... And, like McDonald's or Starbucks, the quality is consistent like clockwork... That, I believe, is the reason I often give, or recommend, Safari's to people new to the hobby.

Oh, when I mean available, I am using my local market as a reference point (middle-west U.S.A.).

Your ad here.

The Safari/AlStar range is, as others have said, often recommended for newcomers because they're easy to find, difficult to damage, and the nibs are interchangable, which is useful for someone just starting out and learning what they like. Speaking as someone who grew up on Parkers, and now prefers Pelikans, there isn't a better pen on the market at this price range, at least not from my experiences. My Lamy Safari and Vista always write well, smoothly, start up first time, perform well with all inks, etc. I'd really like to recommend the Pelikano, but my Pelikano (admittedly this is one person's experience with one pen) doesn't write as nicely as my Safari and Vista do. I'm also not a massive fan of modern Watermans, although I have no reason for this preference, it's a purely personal thing.

As the popularity of the 2000, while it's an acquired taste, for those who like it it's a fabulous pen for the money.

<font size="1">Inked: Pelikan 400nn, Pilot VP, Pelikan M400, Pelikan M200, Pelikan 400, Pelikan M101n, Esterbrook SJ<br> | <a href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/27410410@N05/>Flickr</a> <br></font>