The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

3 Sheaffers at a antique shop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 crowdog

crowdog

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:38

So today, skulking around my local antique shops...found 3 Sheaffers. It is the only type of fountain pen I have found around here. 2 were lever fillers, one looked to be a "balance". The other had a silver cap, and looked more "modern".

Then this one, which looked the coolest to me. I can't tell how it is filled. The end cap looks to be missing to me. I searched and have seen pens like this before, but couldn't find it again. So what do I have. BTW, the Silver cap was 14, this was 12, and the black.."balance" was 35.

Posted Image

Marty
Fountain Pens. Seiko Watches, Classic Vespa Scooters...the holy trilogy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 gross

gross

Success Nourishes Hope

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:55

Marty, I'm not great on Sheaffers when I can't hold them in my hand and look them over closely so this is all just my best guess. The one in the picture is a plunger filler with (as you noted) the blind cap missing. It also appears to have a band missing from the bottom of the cap below the pocket clip. The lever fill balance might be an easy fix. They are almost as easy and forgiving to repair as an Esterbrook J. Even I can do it. This plunger filler can be very tricky to fix.

Good finds.
-gross

Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. -Mark Twain

#3 crowdog

crowdog

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:01

Marty, I'm not great on Sheaffers when I can't hold them in my hand and look them over closely so this is all just my best guess. The one in the picture is a plunger filler with (as you noted) the blind cap missing. It also appears to have a band missing from the bottom of the cap below the pocket clip. The lever fill balance might be an easy fix. They are almost as easy and forgiving to repair as an Esterbrook J. Even I can do it. This plunger filler can be very tricky to fix.

Good finds.

mmmm..that is kinda what I thought. It looked like the mechanism was "bent" to, as it came into the pen. It looks cool though. I will go back and examine them a little bit better.

Thanks.

Marty

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 kirchh

kirchh

Please see my Profile interests

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 13:52

It's not a Sheaffer.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

#5 OldGriz

OldGriz

I Assimilated The Borg

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2010 - 15:34

Good finds.

It is not a plunger (Vac or Wire Filler) it is a button filler and it is also not a Sheaffer.
Sheaffer did not make a button filler pen.
The cap band is missing. It appears to be a second or third tier pen.

IF the shop has labeled this pen a Sheaffer, you don't want to do business with them as they don't know what they are talking about.
TomPosted Image
A veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#6 kirchh

kirchh

Please see my Profile interests

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 15:35

It's got its cap band, but it's totally brassed.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

#7 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,044 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2010 - 20:31

IF the shop has labeled this pen a Sheaffer, you don't want to do business with them as they don't know what they are talking about.

Well... if they don't know what they're about, they might radically underprice something interesting, too. Just don't take their word for what that something is.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

#8 gross

gross

Success Nourishes Hope

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:04

Well, Marty, I told you wrong. I'm sorry. It sure looked like a 1935 Sheaffer barrel with the almost flat tipped blind cap to me and the one cap band is there just brassed so it blends in. The clip is wrong for a Sheaffer of those years because they had a ball on the end. Well, now I guess we know what it isn't.

I enlarged the photo and the clip sort of looks like a Conklin from the late 1920s or 1930s (say, an Endura) but they were lever fillers. So no soap with Conklin.

Now if only someone will tell us what it is. Again, I'm sorry my guess was so wrong.
-gross

Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. -Mark Twain

#9 crowdog

crowdog

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 22:59

Went back to the shop, and it is a stratford pen in the picture. From what I can gather, not a great pen? I think the other one that they have listed as a sheaffer is a wherever. I looked it up, and from the look of it is a wearever pennant.

Marty

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,098 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2010 - 23:16

Okay. If you can get them for a buck or two they can be fun pens to fix up.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

Sponsored Content

|