Help me decide.

Matt

Help me decide on a new pen. I have a few on my list that are in the $100 range. I realize that the pens listed below are like comparing apples to oranges, but . . . What would you recommend?

Lamy 2000 (I've heard great things about his pen)

Namiki Falcon (my friend has one and I like the weight, balance, and the springy nib)

Waterman Charleston (Ivory w/gold) (I've always loved the looks of this pen)

Columbus Scriba (amber) (I've recently been attracted to this pen, and do not own any Italian pens)

Thanks.

Matt C

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt

• Ruaidhri

• Dillo

• Desirider

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

The Scriba is a very good pen and one of the best in the bunch IMO.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

One way to consider these is based on your nib preference--you want a Namiki for the finer nibs.

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

Not to add more confusion, but you may also wanna consider Pelikan M215 in that price range. Its is a nice pen - great nib that screws off, piston filler, and generally considered very reliable.

My 2 cents.

Desirider.

Desirider,

I do love Pelikans, but I already have three.

pvdiamon,

I do have a variety of pens, including a Sailor, so I am aware of the Japanese nibs.

Dillo,

Still contemplating the Scriba and may take you up on the offer to test drive one. How does the size and weight of the Scriba compare to other pens? I have the following for comparison:

Pelikan M605, 200

Cross Townsend

Sheaffer Legacy II, Balance II, Intrigue

Sailor 1911

Waterman Liaison

Matt C

Edited by Matt

Matt,

How about Aurora Ipsilon ? Its Italian ... I guess I am unconsciously trying to divert you away from your original choices.

But here's my opinion:

LAMY 2000 - some don't like its slippery section, otherwise a good pen.

Falcon - good pen, but check what type of converter comes with it. I don't like the converter that came with my Pilot Knight - very little ink capacity.

Charleston - I tried it at a store and the medium nib put down a nice wet line that I would call a broad. I liked the pen.

Incidently, I also have a M605 and 2 M200s :)

Desirider.

Edited by Desirider

I personally would not buy another Falcon unless it had a modified nib, which makes it more like $200. OOB it's good but not great, in my opinion.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

My two favorite pens are my Lamy 2000 and Parker "51". Either would fit with your budget. If you are not sure about the 2000, I do agree that you may want to try one before buying.

++ Lamy 2000 :D

I have one, with a fine point - and I love it! A quick run-down:

Nib: Smooth and springy, delightful to write with! It lays down a pleasantly wet line, but avoids feeling like a fire hose. The F runs nearer to an M, IMHO.

Barrel: The Makrolon is deceiving! Light and very balanced, while still feeling bombproof. Speaking of which...

Construction: Almost invisible seams between the barrel/knob and barrel/section. Section isn't actually slippery, either - it has a nice texture to it reminiscent of brushed aluminum, which makes for an excellent (while not overbearing) grip.

Nota Bene - if you call up Pam at Oscar Braun, you can get it to you for under $100! Not bad, given what everyone else charges. She's also a delightful lady to deal with!

Desirider,

I do love Pelikans, but I already have three.

pvdiamon,

I do have a variety of pens, including a Sailor, so I am aware of the Japanese nibs.

Dillo,

Still contemplating the Scriba and may take you up on the offer to test drive one. How does the size and weight of the Scriba compare to other pens? I have the following for comparison:

Pelikan M605, 200

Cross Townsend

Sheaffer Legacy II, Balance II, Intrigue

Sailor 1911

Waterman Liaison

Matt C

Hi,

It has a nice weight and feels solid, but is not too heavy or too light.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Yes. Get the Lamy 2000 for all the reasons listed already. I just got one a few weeks ago (from Pam at Oscar Braun) and have not put it down since. What struck me was the marvelous engineering and quality manufacturing. It's much more impressive in person than in the pictures. neukonzept is right about the balance of the pen too, and makrolon is very pleasant tactile experience.

i dun have one but if ive been eyeing a VP from ujuku pens...its 89$. we all know sailor and pilot/namiki pens have got great nibs so yeah....either a sailor 1911m (its over $100 tho, innit?) or a lovely VP/capless at 89$

i solemnly swear that i am up to no good.

Hate to repeat myself but for that money you should be able to pick up quite a nice Parker "51".

If you check around you'll find it is generally regarded as the finest pen ever made.

The only downside is that it could spoil all other pens for you :)

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

Thank you for all the good advice. That's one of the things I love about this place.

Ruaidhri, I already have a nice, smooth Parker 51.

I think I am going to go with the Lamy 2000 (from another FPNer). I'm sure the other pens will stay on the list though. I have a couple occasions to celebrate in the next couple months (birthday and publication of a book).

Don't we all need excuses/reasons to buy a new pen? At least it helps rationalize the obsession.

Have a nice weekend.

Matt C