Rather proud of this one

DWL

Sorry for the REALLY bad pics. this camera i'm using is just crazy! i can't get a decent pic to save my life.

Anyway. A customer of mine sent me a beautiful Sheaffer Balance that she had dropped right on the nib. Bending it straight upm at a 90 degree angle. OUCH!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DennisLively/P8160002.jpg

An hour or so later......

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DennisLively/P8160004.jpg

Have to say I'm pretty proud of this one. (grin)

Dennis

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DWL

• Ruaidhri

• Roger

• Slush99

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...... :unsure:

even with the bad pics, i can see the good job you did. :D

What camera are you using? :o looks worse than a cameraphone...... :o

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.

How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire

The Adventures of Chewie

Burnished your little pea pickin' heart out on that devil, I bet. :P

But you're right, the pics are just plain awful! :sick: What are you using that you can't get better focus than that?

I started off with an oak dowell on my anvil to get the basic shape. The anvil btw is coated with a thin layer of rubber to keep from scratching the nib. Then with my 'bench hammer, oak dowell and mandrell I gently tapped/floated the dowell across the tines a little to remove the crease, then I went at it with a nib burishing tool for the final shape. After that it was just a basic alignment issue

The Camera is an Olympus FE 115. I tried to use the super marco setting and then the "regular" macro setting & just can't get squat for pics. I think I just need more time with it to figure it out. The manual it came with is all but a joke, "turn the selector to XXX aim & shoot. " Thats about as techincal as it gets. I plan on doing some online research to see if I can find any macro help for this model. Anyone have one of these by any chance. I could use some help.

Dennis

Hi,

Great job there. I have done many pens like these, and I must say that it looks great!

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Super looking job Dennis.

Ernst has offered to draw pictures of your future work with his crayons.

I think he is learning about sarcasm :D

BTW - If you want some really dreadful pictures you should see my hard drive :blush:

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

Super looking job Dennis.

I think he is learning about sarcasm :D

BTW - If you want some really dreadful pictures you should see my hard drive :blush:

Tell the young man thanks & I'll be taking him up on his offer. :P B)

Dennis

I think he is learning about sarcasm 

:roflmho: Ohh, Boy. That one made me guffaw out loud (can you guffaw to yourself?). It's a good thing we're all friends here :P .

Cheers, Dean

Just in case anyone takes me seriously (???)

- the fact that I've been mailing Dennis in the last day or two for more stuff may be a clearer indication of what I think of him :D :D

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

This is what I found when I googled the name of the camera

http://www.google.com/search?q=Olympus+FE+...=&start=10&sa=N

When I take macro pictures with the Sony digital cam I own, I have to find just the right distance to get clear pictures. It a matter of balance between the zoom and the distance between the cam and the object, it takes some time. Usually I have to take between 2 to 6 pictures to get the distance right and a clear macro picture.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

The pen Dennis repaired is my Aspen Balance. I'm eager to get it back. It is still hard for me to believe that I have twice dropped that pen on its nib while cleaning it. The first time I planted the nib in the oak parquet kitchen flooring of our old house. This time the pen made a tine-first landing in the kitchen sink.

IMHO the Aspen was the best of the modern Sheaffer Balance series. I also have a Crimson Glow and the basic black.

Mary Plante

I have a Sheaffer Balance Jr in Grey Pearl that Sherrel Tyree restored for me. I dropped it on the Kitchen floor, and put a crack right at the threads. It's a vac-filler, so you know what that means. It was my first attempt at an acetone repair, and I dare say it was a success!

Nice job Dennis. I have been working on straightening a few nibs. I can get them mostly straight, but I just can't get the dents out.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Sorry for the REALLY bad pics. this camera i'm using is just crazy! i can't get a decent pic to save my life.

Just off hand they look like you were too close to the object for the macro mode.

YMMV