Do you really use your Fountain Pens ?

lovemyparker

Is Gulf Wax straight paraffin wax? I don't think we have the brand over here...
It is -- very pure and translucent-white. It's sold for home canning, and comes in a box of small slabs. I cut off a small, square "crayon" and keep it in a film cannister on my desk.-- Brian

I only write with FPs, Kind of snobby that way. Don't have any LEs or really expensive ones. Everything I have is for writing, except for the ones that won't.

I would never own a pen I wouldn't be willing to write with everyday, only time I write with anything else is when I cant have it showing through the paper.

I use my FPs for almost every writing task. If I have one of any value that I don't use, it gets traded.

I use my fountain pens everyday without fail. My hand is always itching to pick them up and write. If I don't misplace or lose my fountain pens, they will last past my lifetime.

I got tired of quoting everyone. Why own a fountain pen if your not going to use it? Since I started using them I haven't looked back.

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skybird

• pajaro

• Mille

• BKH

I use my fountain pens every single day. Old or new, expensive or cheap, they all get used. You spent the money, you may as well use it. Do you buy a Mercedes Benz that you don't drive?

I do drive my Mercedes Benz everyday and use my fountain pens every single day even over the weekend I try to find the reason to write with them.. :rolleyes: :bunny01: I just love writing with them.

Same here and there's more dings in my MB with wheels than my MBs with nibs.

I will admit that I do have a few that I don't use, this is mostly due to the fragility of Mandarin permanite and the difficulty of repairing a T1 nib if the iridium drops off of one of the tines (as has been known to happen).

What's so funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?

Use my pens, wear my jewelry, and would use the silver flatware I inherited everyday if it could go in the dishwasher. My antique furniture is fully in use, too, and gets repaired if that becomes necessary. If whatever it is can't be used for its intended purpose, somebody else can keep track of it.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

I got tired of quoting everyone. Why own a fountain pen if your not going to use it? Since I started using them I haven't looked back.

PMS

Antique and collectible value of course.

They are works of art to me and look magnificent in their displays.

Sic Transit Gloria

"Gloria gets seasick"

Use my pens, wear my jewelry, and would use the silver flatware I inherited everyday if it could go in the dishwasher. My antique furniture is fully in use, too, and gets repaired if that becomes necessary. If whatever it is can't be used for its intended purpose, somebody else can keep track of it.

I must be that somebody else ;-)

BTW does Jay Leno drive ALL his cars?

Sic Transit Gloria

"Gloria gets seasick"

I'm a user. There are usually six in my bag with me, and several others at the desk at home. They range from fine vintage wet noodles to modern B stubs, and no two are inked alike. Repairing pens is very satisfying, but if, after I've done the repairs, I find that I won't be using that pen, then I find it a good home.

It's not hard to understand why some wonderful pens find themselves stored in a safe place where they are not even inked. I admit that I have two mint pens I won't touch. They are my sumgai pens. For the rest, the biggest problem seems to be trying not to have too many inked at once. :)

I prefer to use FP's. Sometimes for things like checks or carbon copy stuff I use RB's. But most of the time it is a FP, dip, cartridge or blader/piston.

I use mine every day, usually keeping three on hand at any given time. I use all of my limited editions regularly, because if I'm spending that much on a pen, I'm damn well going to use it. They're pretty to look at, but they're even better to write with. :bunny01:

Visconti: Aida 0/1871, Amigdala, Black Ripple 4/199, Black Storm 8/88, Blue Ripple 870/999, Blue Symphony 88/208, Carbon Dream 4/993, Chatterley Ripple^3 4/25, Custom Ripple 4/4, D'Essai, Gulliver, Homo Sapien, Metropolis 64/288, Millennium Arc 2/1000, Opera Aqua, Opera Demo 547/888, Opera Nordic^2, Opera Water^2, Pericle^2, Ponte Vecchio^2, Ragtime, Ragtime 1174/1988, Replica, VG Custom^8, VG Demo^2, VG Green^2, VG Red, VG Vanilla^3, Versailles 317/365, Viscontina 39/188, Voyager^2

Yep, I do. From the cheapest to the most expensive I have -- and I am loving every moment of it.

I can't take the pens with me when I depart (and besides, I am still waiting for Noodeler's to make boiling-acid-and-charcoal-and-sulfur resistant ink -- I'll be needing that where I'm going, I'm sure), and so I am damn well going to get every bit of pleasure out of them while I'm here.

Fortunately, I do generally tend to operate in an environment where there's little risk of damage or loss to my FPs, most people around me know of FPs from school and their culture -- know enough to keep their paws off mine without being told.

I have absolutely no qualms of bringing a 1500Eur LE pen to the office and use it all day, if that's what strikes my fancy on a specific morning.....how else would I get to maximize my enjoyment of it?

After I dropped my red Duofold Junior on the concrete floor I am a little more careful which pens I bring with me. Or perhaps not where I take them but where I use them.

I use FPs exclusively when writing, except when typing and using a whiteboard and such. Or when someone sticks a credit card slip under my nose to sign. It would look quite pretentious, (that is w...y!), to dig up my own pen from the pocket, uncap it and write the signature, instead of just using the pen I have been given.

The pen is mighter than the sword. Support Wikileaks!

I always use them. I use an FP 99% of the time (maybe more), and a pencil the rest. The only occasion I use a BP is to sign credit cards, and as a result the signature there always looks wrong.

I use my Mercedes at least once a week - but it's a MWB Sprinter Van, and I try to avoid using it too much, as it's really too big for the small roads round here and the fuel just disappears in it.

Regards,

Richard.

Anything that can be written on with a fountain pen is. The only thing I use a ballpoint for these days is signing the back of membership/credit cards.

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

ALL, ALWAYS AND (almost) ONLY.

Well, there are some rare cases I really must use a BP, but most of the time I have one just in case someone ask me for a pen.

I try hard to rotate all my pens. Of course there are favorites and less favorites, but I try to "move" all my inked pens (usually way too many) regularly, so if I haven't anything to write I just scribble, and if I really can't (like driving the car) I keep one at hand and play a little with it (yes, I even sniff ebonite pens while driving...).

Somebody mentioned note taking and credit card slip signing. I have 2 Capless and a M90 that I mostly use for that purpose...

My biggest problem is that I find a lot of important reasons to buy and none to sell.

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

Most of my fountain pens have not been restored, but I have about 20 that I keep ready to use -- various Sheaffers (Balances, Triumphs and PFM), several Parkers (Vacs, 51, 75 and Sonnet) an M800 Pelikan and a Montblanc 146. I also keep an OMAS MOMA rollerball for when I need a good-looking ball pen. I keep them in some Parker trays I picked up on eBay and I rotate among them during the work week.

Having nice pens to use was the main reason I started collecting. Only the rarest stuff isn't wise to ink up, seems to me.

I must be that somebody else ;-)

BTW does Jay Leno drive ALL his cars?

Yes, I think Leno does drive each of his cars. I've seen him drive some one of a kind vehicles.

Of course I use my fountain pens! Granted, I don't have very many fancy ones, but I love the way that the ink flows freely. When I use ballpoints I'm surprised at how hard I have to press down!