Do you really use your Fountain Pens ?

lovemyparker

I wonder if you really use your Fountain Pens ? Or they are so precious and delicate that you just put them in a safe place or a pen holder just to admire.

I'm thinking on buying a Parker Fountain, but I don't know if I will ever use it. For work and home I use the regular Pilot pens, they are so practical. I have some nice Parker (Ball and Roller) collection, but hardly use them. (I just don't want anything happen to them)

Thank you

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skybird

• pajaro

• Mille

• BKH

I dont really use my fountain pens I just collect and sell them. I use rollerball and ball point pens the most. Right now im using a Dunhill Sidecar rollerball.

"Ride, shoot straight, speak the truth"

I only write with FPs, Kind of snobby that way. Don't have any LEs or really expensive ones. Everything I have is for writing, except for the ones that won't.

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom, and that of all about me, seemed insufficient for the day." Abraham Lincoln

I would never own a pen I wouldn't be willing to write with everyday, only time I write with anything else is when I cant have it showing through the paper.

'The brave may not live forever, but the cautious never live at all.'

I've got my M90 with me every day, along with a few other ones, but yes, every day, everywhere, for everything.

Also I think this topic should be moved to general writing instruments category.

Edited by professionaldilettante

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

I use my FPs for almost every writing task. If I have one of any value that I don't use, it gets traded.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I use a fountain pen everyday and have found over the years that I prefer vintage pens that have a little character ... they show a bit of wear and tear and yet function perfectly. My rule is ... if I can afford to lose it .... I use it thumbup.gif

Yes, I use my fountain pens.

-gross

Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. -Mark Twain

A good rule you have and I hope more can understand this simple rule. I have some friends that collect watch Esp "Lorex" they are so fearful to wear it cos wear of watch will lost the watch value if they will to sell????? :headsmack: I think some pen collected react this ways too. :thumbup:

For me collecting is for fun while at work I can't use a fountain pen at all. :crybaby:

So never ask me to review a fountain pen.........

My rule is ... if I can afford to lose it .... I use it thumbup.gif

There's no way I'd waste money on fountain pens if I didn't actually use them!

I don't do LEs- don't see any point in them- but I do own a handful of rare or uncommon vintage pens, a handful of them worth over $500 USD. I use them just like I do any pen- often clipped to my t-shirt, checking items off of a grocery list. There are a few pens I won't take everywhere (1930s Omas, W-E Dorics) but I'll even take a fountain pen or two camping and hiking... Never know what you'll want to write down!

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

Err... yes I do. I used both my vintage Duofold and Parker '51' today doing homework. I even did my math homework in pen even though I'll get marked down if I turn it in that way- I need to rewrite it in pencil before I turn it in. I can't remember the last time I used a ball point pen.

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

I use my fountain pens everyday without fail. My hand is always itching to pick them up and write. If I don't misplace or lose my fountain pens, they will last past my lifetime.

Montblanc Meisterstuck 149 w/14c Binder's XXXF- Noodler's Old Manhattan Black

I use all my pens, often, regardless of collector value. save one pen. I have a never used Elephant leather covered chilton with original price tag. I use my black giant everyday, go figure. I guess most people would likely put that one away. Before I got it, it was kept in a safety deposit box. what a sad existence for a pen. I feel I saved it. If it can't be used, I usually consider it for sale fodder. There are pens I rarely use, but I still on occasion try to use them.

http://www.chiltonpens.com/images/displaystyle.jpg

Absolutely I use my pens extensively. To me, there is no value in an attractive pen that cannot write well - I don't care if it costs £200, if it's got a duff nib it is not a pen, it's an ink-sucking stick.

A good rule you have and I hope more can understand this simple rule. I have some friends that collect watch Esp "Lorex" they are so fearful to wear it cos wear of watch will lost the watch value if they will to sell????? :headsmack: I think some pen collected react this ways too. :thumbup:

For me collecting is for fun while at work I can't use a fountain pen at all. :crybaby:

So never ask me to review a fountain pen.........

My rule is ... if I can afford to lose it .... I use it thumbup.gif

"Lorex"..................do you mean "Rolex"? :hmm1:

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

I use my fountain pens every day, as often as I can.. In my pocket, I've got my murex, m90, elite, and 2 parker51s .. I'm not a collector, I like to buy them, try them out and if I don't like them sell/trade them for something I do want/like.

In the case of the m90, I've got 2 cause they're just awesome. :)

Science is a way of skeptically interrogating the universe with a fine understanding of human fallibility.

-Carl Sagan

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.pnghttp://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/PostcardExchange_sm.pnghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4f_4pakI/AAAAAAAAA14/_d-MITGtqvY/s320/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

I actually can't write properly with ballpoints, which is perhaps the origin of my casual interest in fountain pens. I have always used FPs for everything (unless forced by circumstances not to). I have a very modest collection of functional FPs (several P51s and a Pelikan), all of which are selected or kept on the basis of how easy I find them to write with. I am always on the lookout for pens that write almost as well as my best pen (a very well worn-in P51 I've had since I was 12) and which I can carry around or distribute in places where I am likely to need them.

I strongly believe that the best nibs are ones that have been used on a daily basis for many years. The problem with many modern fine pens is that they are never used enough to reach this exalted state!

That said, I don't use my pens nearly as much as I used to because these days I am using a keyboard for 98% of what I "write".