Danitrio Fellowship Pen (Rhodium clip)

Immoteus

Good evening, I'm Alistair Cookie.

post-10295-126688128896.jpg

Tonight we will be reviewing the Dani-trio Fellowship Pen. This beautiful handcrafted pen is the result of months long corroboration between Winedoc, Dani-trio, maki-e artist Kosetsu and others. I first became aware of this generous endeavor on April of 2009 when the initial sketch was released to the public. Since then I had been following any updates regarding its fruition.

On Chinese New Year weekend I attended the reception at the Los Angeles Pen Show and had the rare opportunity to write with a clip-less fellowship pen fit with an xxf flex nib. I was more than impressed by the flexibility of this modern nib and the conscientious attention to detail. However despite thoroughly enjoying the time spent at the reception, it is with a heavy heart that one must admit one might have overheard a most egregious rumour. The creation of this masterpiece was supposedly expedited due to some of the more eccentric members adamantly insisting on impossible demands at an urushi factory by means of a ultraviolet floodlight.

The Fellowship Pen is accompanied by a large black lacquered box lined to what appears to be a fine material. Inside includes a pen pillow and a pen pouch (possibly made from silk). While the pen was offered at a very fair price; I would have to estimate the retail value be in excess of three thousand dollars.

post-10295-126680489735.jpg

post-10295-126687834779.jpg

Appearance (10/10)

The form of the Autumn Traveler as I would like to call it is the result from borrowing the straight body design from the Genkai and the faceted sides from the Octagon. I believe the body is bored from ebonite then the urushi is meticulously applied before and after adorning the cap/body with MoP and/or gold dust.

The imagery of the Autumn Traveler depicts a traveler's possessions resting on the ground amongst the autumn foliage. This abstract theme leaves the writer to determine whether the traveler is either resting mid-journey, settling down at the end or beginning a new path.

post-10295-126688101403.jpg

post-10295-12668810085.jpg

post-10295-126688101033.jpg

post-10295-126688101228.jpg

post-10295-126688101403.jpg

Weight & Dimensions (9/10)

Since the Autumn Traveler was not designed with posting in mind, I would have preferred the barrel to be slightly longer for better balance. I do not have the precise figures for the pen, but it is lightweight for an instrument of this size. Below is a comparison between the Omas Ogiva Vision (Gold and Silver trim), M800 demonstrator and Custom 743.

post-10295-126687834425.jpg

Nib & Performance (9/10)

Writing with the xxf flex nib almost reminds me of riding in a sports car; responsive flex and tactile on cotton paper.

Filling System (6/10)

There is nothing new that could be said about converters, only it was chosen for this pen in the interest of maintaining cost for all those concerned.

post-10295-126688100507.jpg

Cost & Value (10/10)

While I won't divulge the cost, the Autumn Traveler is a tremendous value with consideration to all those involved in creating what once began as a concept into an elegant and understated implement for writing.

Conclusion (44/50)

From a broad perspective this pen reflects artistic ability, dexterity and storytelling. Despite being the near perfect pen, there is one area I feel could benefit from a minor addition. This would be the gift box. While the presentation of the pen exudes gravitas when viewed objectively, I believe it lacks an Armoire to give it the finishing stroke. What else could be better than a pen box that holds one's entire pen, ink and paper collection?

Thank you for reading. (devours cookie... nom nom nom...)

[First image courtesy of Winedoc]

Edited by Immoteus

Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Immoteus

• winedoc

• Siv

• roger3

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe it lacks an Armoire

You've got to be kidding, right? If this is true, then I will tell Kevin to keep my pen!! Really now, no armoire, no pen! That's how I feel about this most disappointing and shocking revelation

:roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

Thanks for the excellent review! BTW what is an armoire anyway? =)

May you and those you love, be always blessed with peace and never ending joy.

Roger

Enjoy reading your review and glad you like the pen. Thanks again. And yes, Siv is right, Just pull out the converter and voila! you have a western style ED pen. That should bump the score up at least a couple of points.

Best,

Kevin

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

Excellent review on an excellent pen, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Great Review! Hoe could I get my hands on one of these pens?

Jake

Best Regards,

Jake

"All That Evil needs to Take Over is For Good Men to Sit and Do Nothing."

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I believe it lacks an Armoire

You've got to be kidding, right? If this is true, then I will tell Kevin to keep my pen!! Really now, no armoire, no pen! That's how I feel about this most disappointing and shocking revelation

:roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

Thanks for the excellent review! BTW what is an armoire anyway? =)

Ironically, I store most of my pens in an armoire, which also holds a TV & DVD/VCR player. The TV etc are non functional, as they are analog, but I have not discarded them. The only things I do not keep in there are my Pen case, which is a converted jewelry box, and the pens and ink I keep on my desk at work.

I also keep my guitars in an armoire, converted by my bride and our daughter in law into a 7-guitar upright storage case.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Can the Danitrio Fellowship fountain pen still be bought? I'm definitely interested in buying one.

"Whenever elephants fight, it's always the grass that suffers" -African Proverb

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Great Review! Hoe could I get my hands on one of these pens?

Jake

Can the Danitrio Fellowship fountain pen still be bought? I'm definitely interested in buying one.

I'm not certain if the pens are still available for purchase. You'll have to send a PM to Winedoc for a definitive response.

Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

It was a production run of 60 pens and all have been sold, I believe.

Ah, that fresh ink on paper look!

• 2 years later...

She's beautiful!

Thank you for the review and photos.

Take care of that pen.

Cheers!