Waterman overlays

Brian Anderson

I've been thinking about getting a Waterman overlay for a while now. This, of course, represents a huge departure from my normal collecting focus, Esterbrook. Thus, I need some help in determining what the more common models are, and what I might come to expect with regards to pricing on these.

My requirements are this pen must have a clip, be a lever filler, not a 1/2 size model, flex nib, full cap and barrel overlay, and filagree work is preferred over solid overlay.

I'm leaning towards silver rather than gold. Which is more desireable/expensive?

Depending on price, I may be interested in larger than 52 size as well.

I may be looking for one at the Chicago show, not before, and want to know what I should expect before I go. I've checked ebay prices, but these are hard for me to interpret.

Thanks in advance for any help-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian Anderson

• Keith with a capital K

• Dan Carmell

I would think that to enter into collecting Waterman overlays that fairly deep pockets will be required especially if a larger pen is sought and even a good 52 with a silver overlay will run in the mid $300.00 to $400.00 range.

A pen like that little 452.5 V ring top is selling for $195.00 at FPH right now while an 0555 (gold filled overlay, #55 model) is selling for $885.00.

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/vintage...ns.asp?PG=48-52

The Vacumaniac has a nice 452 set for sale at the following link...

http://www.nope.com/websitesales/forsalewaterman.htm

They are incredibly beautiful pens and we haven't even started on rhr pens with silver overlays.

All I can say on those is, go deeeeep cause they aren't often found for a quarter... :lol:

An alternative to Waterman overlays is to look at pens like Wahl machine turned overlays which are excellent in their construction, beautiful, and more reasonably priced.

Edited by Keith with a capital K

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

Thanks Rob and Keith. I had suspected 452's might run $3-400, which isn't a problem. Double that and I won't have any money left for Esterbrooks. :) Since this is such a large outside-of-the-focus purchase, I might be willing to pay a bit more to see it in person at Chicago before I buy.

I figure this will be the one example I'll have for my collection and that'll be it, so to choose from a bunch of different options will be important.

Of course, now that I say this, two esterbrook eyedroppers, three esterbrook twistfilers and a couple visulated section pens will show up in Chicago and there'll be no more money left for the 452/4. Lucky me either way. :D

Thanks-

Brian

Ok, expanding on Keith's thought here for a minute, is there a comparable sterling fillagree full sized LF flex pen I might be able to acquire cheaper than a 452? Must be vintage, no moderns. :)

Best-

Brian

Brian,

I too have been contemplating getting a Waterman overlay. However, I've been thinking about a filigree model, not a full overlay--is it the full overlay you are aiming at?

If a filigree is of interest to you, I have a suggestion regarding a California dealer you may want to talk to. I suspect he will be at the Chicago show, but it couldn't hurt to start talking to him now. Please email me if you'd like details at dcarmell at earthlink.net.

best, Dan