The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

music nib comparison

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 jglass

jglass

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 22:51

This is a comparison of three pens - Salor Pro Gear, Platinum 3776 and Pilot Custom 74 - each with a music nib. I found some significant differences in the way each of them writes, which I thought might be interesting for folks who are looking for a music nib, but wondering which one to get.

APPEARANCE & DESIGN
They're all black with gold trim and gold clips. The sailor has the flat top & bottom, while the other two are rounded. They're handsome, in a standard way, but nothing to write home about. They've each got the brand name and model name (except the sailor, which says "founded 1911" rather than the model name) engraved around the cap-band. Platinum's cap band is the least appealing to me, but that's just personal preference.

Posted Image

CONSTRUCTION & QUALITY
All great. I got two of them used and one new, but they are all well made pens. The quality of the construction is exactly what you'd expect from a pen in this price range - solid.

WEIGHT & DIMENSIONS
The pens are all roughly the same size. The Sailor is the shortest of the lot, at 5" capped, and the Pilot is the tallest, at 5 1/2" capped. They are all plastic, so rather light in the hand. I would call them medium-sized pens, with a nib sections that are just under half an inch wide.

Posted Image

NIB & PERFORMANCE
This is where it gets interesting. Although all music nibs, they write rather differently. The PIlot and Platinum have three tines each, while the Salor has only two. Each one is very wet and extremely smooth, but the line variation on the Sailor is not as clear as on the Pilot, and the Platinum showed the most line variation of the three. But by far the most dramatic difference among them is the writing angle. To get the full line width on the paper, you've got to hold the Sailor at a rather precise 90 degree angle to the paper. At a lesser angle, the nib doesn't make consistent contact with the paper, and you get some very thin lines, or just flat out skipping. The PIlot is less finicky, but I still found that as I wrote at my normal 45-degree angle to the paper, I got lots of inconsistencies in the flow. The Platinum, however, is easy like Sunday morning. At any angle, it writes a thick, juicy line, with plenty of line variation on the horizontals. Here's a writing sample.

Posted Image

FILLING SYSTEM & MAINTENANCE
All cartridge/converters. Maintenance, so far, has been a non-issue. They all start up consistently, no matter how long they've been sitting on my desk. The don't clog or leak. They each go through quite a bit of ink, but that's just the way things are with these juicy nibs.

COST & VALUE
None of these pens will break the bank. They were each around the $150 - $200 mark for me, although I bought two of them used. They are solid pens and worth every penny.

CONCLUSION
Although they're all great, the precise writing angle is an inconvenience on the Sailor and the Pilot pens. I don't mind it on crisp italics, when I'm generally writing in a more careful, deliberate fashion. I was hoping to use the music nibs in a more casual way, both when composing music and as an extra-bold nib to have on hand for regular applications. Having to hold the pen at that certain angle doesn't help the ease of use. The last thing I want to think about when trying to get my thoughts (musical or otherwise) on paper is the angle of the pen. In conclusion, what a surprise: Platinum wins!
identity & graphic design: glassfoundry, llc

Sponsored Content

#2 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 23:44

Fantastic! I too found that Platinum wins the music nib shootout. Your experiences are exactly like mine. Nice review.

#3 dizzypen

dizzypen

Swimming in a sea of Noodler's Navy!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,980 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2010 - 00:15

Thanks for this. I now know I'm on the right track. Now if I could just find a used one :hmm1:
Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

#4 jglass

jglass

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:55

jandrese - glad to know I'm not the only one!
identity & graphic design: glassfoundry, llc

#5 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,432 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:16

This is a most useful and informative review. Thanks.

#6 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:13

Excellent review, thanks.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#7 Bentley

Bentley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 17:50

I just recently picked up a Plantinum pen with a Music nib and I am very happy with it. I would agree with your assessment of the Platinum- it is easy to use and gives some good line variation. The line variation is not as defined as a stub or italic nib but I have had no problems with skipping and having to hold the pen at a precise angle so, in my opinion, it's a good trade off and more practical for daily writing tasks at work.

#8 linnicky

linnicky

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:50

I have these 3 nibs too. I also found the 3776 be the best among the 3. The Sailor is a bit too wet to show the line variation. The Pilot is the least smooth .
Thanks for your review.

#9 dizzypen

dizzypen

Swimming in a sea of Noodler's Navy!

• Member - Gold

• 3,980 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2010 - 19:31

:headsmack: Though I was looking for a Platinum 3776 I have a Sapporo with MS nib on the way. Why? Well it was purple. I have a serious soft spot for purple. I think it will be fine. I write at a high angle anyway!
Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

#10 talkinghead

talkinghead

Füllhaltersammler

• Member - Gold

• 1,755 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2010 - 19:42

I have these 3 nibs too. I also found the 3776 be the best among the 3. The Sailor is a bit too wet to show the line variation. The Pilot is the least smooth .
Thanks for your review.

Great review and I agree with the above findings. Kept the Platnium, sold my Pilot, and since the Sailor version has only two tines, I had it ground to a Cursive Italic by Mike-It-Work...sweet nib now! :thumbup:

Rick
MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)
"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar
WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs
Posted Image
Porkopolis Penners Blog

#11 SamCapote

SamCapote

Got Warm Milk?

• Member - Gold

• 4,301 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:57

Thanks for this great review and photos. I went with the Platinum 3776 for $100 from Todd's site today.
With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

#12 Alice L

Alice L

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:33

Thanks for a helpful review! I, too, have only recently acquired a Platinum 3776 with Music Nib. It's a keeper!!

#13 hsianloon

hsianloon

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:35

Thanks for your review, love the type that compares it with other pens ! Was leaning to the Sailor on virtue on the nib being more 'decorated', but first and foremost writing quality, so I went ahead with the Platinum, ordered my 3776 Resin Platinum, on the way to me soon !

#14 angushunter

angushunter

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 14:32

Thank you for this review; it's really helpful. I had my heart set on a Sailor music nib, but like you, I don't want to have to hold the pen at a 90 degree angle all the time, and I want to use the pen for more general writing. So it doesn't sound as though the Sailor is really the pen for me. Now I'm off to look at the Platinum pens with music nibs, something I hadn't yet even considered. Thanks again! :happyberet:

#15 JonathanBarboza

JonathanBarboza

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,015 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2011 - 20:43

This review helped me immensely. I ended up buying the Platinum and love it! I recently saw someone that had it ground to a crisp Italic. I bet that is amazing!

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

#16 spyrusthevirus

spyrusthevirus

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 22:23

and how about their performance on music writing? can you post a short example of each?
the platinum looks so amazing!

#17 Delphideo

Delphideo

Part-time Indexer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2011 - 22:49

and how about their performance on music writing? can you post a short example of each?
the platinum looks so amazing!

Shameless plug (Platinum Music Pen)
In some things in life it's better to take a Zen approach. If you think too much you won't achieve your goal, wheras if you don't think and let yourself go, it shall be achieved with ease. I find this helpful in writing, kendo and music.

#18 Lefthander

Lefthander

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2011 - 23:23

When you say 90 degree angle to the page you don't mean vertically do you? I'm assuming that you mean the pen must be held perpendicular to the line on which you write. I have a Sailor music nib on an old Sailor Mosaic and even though I have difficulty with it because I'm left handed I don't recall it being that hard to write with. I may have to ink it up again and try it :)

#19 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• 2,815 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2011 - 00:31

Terrific review, "jglass".
Nice to see the three Japanese music pens side-by-side.

I'm surprised by your experience with the Sailor nib.
Though I can't make comparisons with the other Japanese makes, my two Sailor 14K music nibs (one stock & the other adjusted by John Mottishaw) are both quite forgiving, when it comes to writing angle,......as long as I don't rotate the nib-section. (I tend hold my pens, at or near a 50 degree angle.) Found it easy to stay in the "groove".
For me, these nibs can also produce a fairly wide line-width variation, particularly the "Mottishawed" nib. Better than I expected, but not as extreme as my old Pelikan OBB.
Would love to try both the Pilot & Platinum.

Cheers: tinta

Edited by tinta, 18 September 2011 - 00:36.

*Sailor 1911-M, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Professional-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14c.factory "H-B" *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm stubs (PB) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. stub (PB) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

#20 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• 2,815 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:13

One thing to add:
Could the performance of the Sailor music nib be, because of the paper? The positive results I get are all written on Rhodia vellum.
I've just jotted some figures & a note on a Bell Telephone statement, & indeed there was almost no line variation.
Cheers: tinta
*Sailor 1911-M, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Professional-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14c.factory "H-B" *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm stubs (PB) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. stub (PB) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

Sponsored Content

|