Pelikan M400 Tortoise

Sallent

I just received my Pelikan M400 Tortoise LE, and after a "test drive" here are my thoughts and impressions:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z248/osall001/DSC00672.jpg

Fit and Finish: 9/10

It is small by modern standards, but grows to a nice size when the cap is posted. The pen is light weight and well balanced. The resin feels very pleasant to the touch, and typical of Pelikans, the pen is extremely well put together. Definitely will last decades of continuous use...I have an M200 as my daily user...and 5 years of abuse, the pen is still holding up well. Pelikans are built to last, an this one is no different.

Aesthetics: 10/10

I know this is very subjective...but let's face it, as far as pens go, this is definitely a good looking pen. Pelikan has been making pens virtually with the same design and materials as they were making them 50-60 years ago. While other pen makers have lost the ability to make them like they used to, every Pelikan Souveran is a classic from the moment of birth.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z248/osall001/DSC00674.jpg

Filling System: 10/10

Typical of Pelikan, butter smooth piston mechanism. It operates flawlessly and the ink supply is more than generous. With a semi-transparent body, checking the ink supply is extremely easy. I don't now how Pelikan manages to be so consistently good with their piston mechanisms, but whatever they do, I hope they keep it up. It obviously works!

Nib/Writing 10/10

Like most Pelikan nibs, it works flawlessly from the start. The nib is butter smooth and never skips or fails to start. I'd submit a writing sample, but my handwriting sucks, and I don't want to spoil my review by making you stare at it. The best feature is that the nib is easily interchangeable. This is a lost art today, but many vintage pens also had interchangeable nibs. It means that you can swap nibs in 30 seconds or less, and with nibmesiters producing flexible nibs for Pelikans, this is a big plus. I will be buying a flexible nib for this baby.thumbup.gif

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z248/osall001/DSC00676.jpg

Price/Value for money: 9/10

At $175 USD, it is still excellent value for your money, considering this pen will run circles around most $400-$500 pens I've ever owned. However, Pelikan prices have been going up recently as most Americans become aware of just how good this brand is. Although it is still excellent value for the performance and quality, I can't give it a 10/10. Pelikan should not forget that one of the largest things the brand has going for it is providing excellent, good looking and classic pens for a lot less money than the competition...(ie. Mont Blanc, CS)

Conclusion: 48/50 pts

This pen is a prime example of why people who own Pelikans always complaint that their "flock" just seems to breed like wild rabbits. It is just so good that you can't help but want to buy another Pelikan, and another, and another, etc.thumbup.gif

Edited by Dr Ozzie

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• bartlee01

• DAYoung

• Sallent

I forgot to add this: The Pelikan M400 Tortoise is a limited edition pen. It is no longer being made, but thankfully most dealers still have a few in stock. Won't last long though. Tortoises are very desirable within the Pelikan community because of their low production numbers and the infrequency with which Pelikan makes them available. It may be 8-10 years before Pelikan releases another Tortoise design. A pitty, because this Pelikan Souveran is desperately pretty.puddle.gif

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

Great review Dr. Ozzie!

Great looking pen!

Glad to see you are still here!

Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

I forgot to add this: The Pelikan M400 Tortoise is a limited edition pen. It is no longer being made, but thankfully most dealers still have a few in stock. Won't last long though. Tortoises are very desirable within the Pelikan community because of their low production numbers and the infrequency with which Pelikan makes them available. It may be 8-10 years before Pelikan releases another Tortoise design. A pitty, because this Pelikan Souveran is desperately pretty.puddle.gif

+1 Richard Binder is sold out (waaah!). Seems like I am going to have to wait until I get my doctorate (a long way off...) to get one of these. IMO, they are the best looking pelikans.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out!

Wow... I was going to wait till next payday to get one, but I found myself with some spare cash... so I bought it... buahaha, yay I'm glad I didn't wait... Now I just need to wait two weeks for it to get to me *cry*.

Cuts can heal over, become scars and you'll keep living. Take it one step at a time, soon you'll wish you could take it slower.

That's what I call an elegant Pelikan. Shiny black and the bright colored bindes can't compare with the richness of the tortoise.

I'm also glad they eliminated the ring next to the filler cone - that would really kill the appearance.

Edited by Pfhorrest

The sword is mightier than the pen. However, swords are now obsolete whereas pens are not.

-Unknown

I couldn't agree more. I have one of these fantastic pens and I love it! I've sent the nib away to have it re-ground to a stub and can't wait to get it back. And yes, my flock keeps breeding.

+1 Richard Binder is sold out (waaah!). Seems like I am going to have to wait until I get my doctorate (a long way off...) to get one of these. IMO, they are the best looking pelikans.

Great little pen, at a sweet price.

While I got mine from Pam (and hers and Richard's appear to be gone by now), there may still some be available at nibs.com - if you don't mind the slightly higher price.

(See http://www.nibs.com/PelikanM400BrownTortoise.htm )

This pen is well worth the money.

B

Edited by beluga

nice pen and review! i don't think this is a LE pen, but rather a LP (limited production)... i could be wrong!!

Edited by lovemy51

• 2 weeks later...

I've had mixed fortunes with buying fountain pens online so I decided to get my M400 tortoise from Richard Binder and it's now my favourite pen. It writes very well nice and wet and always starts first time even if it's been sitting a day without use.

I have this idea to see if he can rip the guts out of my Visconti Divina LE and make it hold a decent amount of ink...

• 3 weeks later...

I read this before and forgot to reply that I think that pen looks great. Thanks for the review.

"If we faked going to the Moon, why did we fake it nine times?" -- Apollo 16 astronaut Charlie Duke

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4447835438_d7314170bf_o.png

I own one with a broad nib. Love it even though I find it on the small side of optimum size for my hand. It writes beautifully. A daily writer for me with my Bamboo.

Nelson Lamoureux

Enseignant

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

«Great minds discuss ideas.

Average minds discuss events.

Small minds discuss people.»

E. Roosevelt

...Pelikan has been making pens virtually with the same design and materials as they were making them 50-60 years ago. While other pen makers have lost the ability to make them like they used to, every Pelikan Souveran is a classic from the moment of birth.

You hit the nail right on the head there!

"If we faked going to the Moon, why did we fake it nine times?" -- Apollo 16 astronaut Charlie Duke

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4447835438_d7314170bf_o.png

• 2 weeks later...

The refinements add beauty and high value to the Souveran 400 Series; the legendary. The M400 fountain pen is meticulously crafted with high quality material, a presicion to 100ths of a millimeter. It features a diamond-ground surface and a gold-plated Pelikan clip, The fountain pen fills with a classic plunger filling mechanism and features a hand-crafted, finely engraved 14 carat / 585 gold nib with rhodium decoration, available in Fine, Medium or Broad nib sizes. I like this pen....

Edited by jetdipar

one question about size - is this the same size as the vintage 400, 400N & 400NN model?

thanks in advance:

christian