I Don't Own One (Yet)

georgem

Several days ago, an acquaintance commented that her Mont Blanc "exploded". After finding that repair would cost as much as replacement and after reading what was being said on the web about Mont Blanc, asked my opinion regarding a suitable replacement.

I suggested that if she wanted something of similar size and "feel" she should look at the line of Pelikan fountain pens.

She works in New York City and before the end of the day, had purchased an M-200 at a retailer in the building where she works. She went on to say that she has probably caught the FP bug.

BTW, I'll probably buy my first Pelikan sooner rather than later.

George

Pelikan Convert and User

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Leslie J.

• georgem

• wimg

• Brian Anderson

Good job pushing the M200 George. I recently got one for a friend whose wife kept stealing his. She loves it and now they can both write with one. Great little pens, I usually have one inked in my briefcase at all times.

Oh to have a pen shop in the building where I work. I'd be even more broke than I am now. ;)

Best-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Yay! Another convert! :bunny1:

George, you gotta buy a Pelikan. Vintage or modern, they're great pens. :D

Never lie to your dog.

I have a pen shop in the building where I work... ;)

Sometimes the guy there even cuts me a deal on a pen or two.

I like Pelikans but tend to get my fix for striped pens satisfied elsewhere.

http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/FPN/BalanceSrandJr.jpg

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

Hmm...

So the exploding pen was not a fountain pen? Did you convert her from a MB ballpen/Roller to a Pellikan FP, or from a MB FP to a pellikan? Either way, the good thing is that a positive experience with the Pellikan (and how could you not have one?) will encourage her that Fountain Pens are the most pleasurable way to write (with the possible exception of endoursing the big lottery check at the bank)

not quite sure what happened, but ATTA BOY!!!

Kj

Aunty Entity: Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome, and death is listening, and will take the first man that screams.

The exploding MB was, in fact, a fountain pen. She, as had I, had been a fountain pen user since grade school.

She was quite happy with the one pen until its spectacular demise; likewise, I used one of two pens (Parker 51 or Parker 75) for many, many years.

About ten years ago, I wanted to write in more than one color (black) and, liking fountain pens, purchased a few more, relatively inexpensive ones such as the Sheaffer Triumph or Lamy Safari. Then I bought a number of Rotring Core pens.

I never considered a MB, for reasons other than those usually discussed in pen forums.

When I put the $$ together, my first Pelikan will be either a 200 (black or blue -- not sure) or the white tortoise 400 :drool: :drool: like the one shown in KCat's Avatar. I saw one IRL today at a Paradise Pen Shop at one of the local malls. Beautiful! I went there to buy Aurora Ink -- did buy both available colors. Same price as on line.

Other than KCat's warning about Legal Lapis, are there any other inks that should NOT be used in a pen like this??

Edited by georgem

George

Pelikan Convert and User

Hi George,

Other than KCat's warning about Legal Lapis, are there any other inks that should NOT be used in a pen like this??

You probably shouldn't use violet and purple inks either. They have the greatest staining capacity AFAIK. And red inks you should avoid too, because of potential chemical reactions - clogging up pens etc.

I would probably be a bit worried using black inks too, considering the problems I have had with a specific brand of high density black ink. I don't know how bad a black ink may stain, but since the soot particles in it are opaque, even a very small quantity remaining behind may make your pen look to have a greyish cast rather than look white.

HTH,

Kind regards,

Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Sorry, double post, don't know why... Deleted contents.

Kind regards, Wim

Edited by wimg

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I have the white tortoise too. I find that green or brown inks are quite suitable in the pen.

Never lie to your dog.

My M400 Tortoise is usually filled with PR Naples Blue. It might look a bit insipid with a fine nib but it's great with a cursive italic BB.

Ther are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't

I am still trying to get Waterman Violet out of my White Pelikan Tortoise M400

I like Waterman Violet but not in this pen!! Violet has some nasty staining qualities. So I use the violet in my other pens where you really cannot see the ink window.

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

I am still trying to get Waterman Violet out of my White Pelikan Tortoise M400

I like Waterman Violet but not in this pen!! Violet has some nasty staining qualities. So I use the violet in my other pens where you really cannot see the ink window.

I love WM Violet too, but it does seem to be the champ at staining. Even PR Hot Bubble Gum did not stain the converter of my Phileas as bad as the violet. Too bad, because I like the purples so much.

I think it's prudent to be careful about which ink goes in a pen with an ink window, or translucent/transparent barrel. The white tortoise seems a wee bit sensitive that way.

Never lie to your dog.

Thanks to all for the advice on suitable inks. It won't be decision time for a while. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

BTW the Waterman Violet is in one of my Rotring Core pens. Really like the color but wouldn't have considered using it in the Pelikan.

Right now, my favorite ink is Herbin Bleu Pervenche. Most likely that's what I will be using.

George

Pelikan Convert and User