Correct convertor for P61?

Brian Anderson

I happened to pick up a nice Parker 61 in trade recently, and it came with two aerometric convertors, one was described as the original convertor, but the sac was shot, the other was in the pen and described as coming from a 45, but does not look like the convertor I have for my 45, nor does it actually fit in the 45 barrel. This convertor fits fairly well in the 61, but does not seal correctly, and in moments after inking the pen, leaks all over. I've checked for cracks in the hood, but have found the problem is indeed with the convertor, as if any pressure is applied, I'll see ink come up the side of the convertor.

So, what convertor do I need here? Who's got one? This is an English 61 if it makes any difference.

Also, the inlaid arrow is gone, any tricks to repairing that?

Best-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John

• babydoc

• bandaid

• Brian Anderson

Teach me here, please. I've had 3 Parker 61's, and was not aware that a convertor existed. These are capillary fill pens, and the grey-black cylinder in the barrel is integral to the pen; doesn't come off.

Have never had any success in replacing the inlaid arrow on the hood.

LL

From Pentrace: http://www.pentrace.com/2002/article042502_178.html

"61s from 1969 onward had the more convenient cartridge/converter filling system, using either cartridges or an aerometric converter similar to the filling system of the aerometric "51". Parker also converted some capillary-filling 61s to convertible fillers on customers' requests."

Also from http://www.fountainpenemporium.com/items/3...74520store.html

http://www.fountainpenemporium.com/items/374520/picture2.jpg

I was reading about this in Da Book yesterday. Converting a capillary 61 to C/C is not just a question of having the right convertor. There are other parts involved. Apparently Parker made conversion kits and at some point after market ones from some other (unspecified) source were available. I'd love to know how to do this as I have two 61s with shot filling units and no arrows.

Brian, Can you see if your pen was a "proper" C/C or just someone stuffing a convertor in the barrel. If a "proper C/C, it should take cartridges, ie have the spikey thing for piercing the cartridge.

Ther are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't

Ok, according to the PT article, my pen is a Custom made 1965 or later in the UK. By the looks of it there is a nipple with which one could probably insert a cartridge. I'll have to see if any cartridges I have fit in there. My convertor, however, doesn't look like the one you show Antonios. I'll have to look into this more. The gentleman who I traded it from stated it had worked fine for years and years. I think it must have just widened the opening of the convertor causing ink to seep out.

Thanks for the help-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Definitely worth investing in a pack of Parker cartridges to find out.

Ther are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't

I have a couple of the capillary filler replacements--I am not sure why except that I have quite a few Parker 61 pens and am preparing for the eventuality that these fillers may die. If you want one, give let me know and I would be happy to send--I do like the simplicity of this fillling mechanism. In addition, have had no problems with the pens. Lenore

OK, I stand corrected about convertors for the 61. Perhaps I've been lucky with mine, but the capillary filler works fine for me. What could be better than no moving parts? (perhaps even including my brain cells...?)

Cordially, LL

What could be better than no moving parts?

It's a neat idea. As I understand it there were two main complaints about the capillary filler:

It was a bugger to clean if you wanted to change ink

The ink flow tapered off (like a felt tip) rather than just stopped

John

The Parker 61 is actually quite easy to clean. You can not salvage the ink in the capillary filler, but the ink can best be pushed though the filler and nib with a bulb syringe--like used to suction babies at birth (available at most drug stores). THe bulb syringe easily fits over the top of the capillary filler and pushes the ink out through the nib, or it can be placed over the nib, forcing the ink back through the capillary filler and out that way. If you then fill the pen, the empty bulb syringe can be used on the capillary filler end to push the ink through to the nib and viola! it writes in the true colour of the ink loaded. This may sound complicated but takes only a few minutes. In addition, I have used only Waterman or Parker ink in the 61's--I am not sure that they would tolerate some of the more saturated inks, but someone with more experience might have more knowledge of that subject---and I would be interested in hearing more about it. I like the ease of filling, the way they write and the general feel of the pen. Lenore

Hi Lenore,

I wasn't meaning to imply that 61s are impossible to clean but I can see why they weren't terribly successful. Parker was selling to "normal people" not pen nuts and I can't see your average punter going through the routine you described. BTW, I would be interested on getting my hands on one of your spare filler units. How much would you want for it?

Regards

John

Hey John, I guess you are right--not everyone will spend that kind of time cleaning a pen, thus I have given no P61 to fountain pen neophytes. I have no idea what the cost of the sponge is, however, I will check back to my purchase slip and let you know (there was a time that I thought that I would like to repair fountain pens, however, I have decided that I should stick with my day job!). I am at the office right now, the bill is at home, so I will post later today/tonight. Lenore

Hey John, I got home from work and found that I have about 7 or so for which I paid around 50 dollars, on e-bay. Let me know if you want any--just send me a message or whatever works for you. As I said earlier today, I am unlikely to start pen repairs as long as I have my day job--I cannot work with ink stained hands! Lenore

Another way to clean/flush Parker 61: run cold water thrugh the filler end for a few minutes, and then put the pen, point down, into a paper cup with a Kleenex stuffed into the bottom of the cup. The remainder of the water/ink will "wick" right out in a few hours. Easier than the bulb syringe technique.

LL

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd resurrect an old topic because I've just got a 61 with a capillary filler off EBay and I'm trying to get it working. I've been flushing it out with water and have got an awful lot of blue ink out of it, I'd guess it's been left for years with ink still in it.

Carrie, it is actually less difficult than it appears - but it takes time.

First buy an ear bulb syringe, like this:

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/304825/2/Rubber_Ear_Syringe.jpg

and cut it so that the opening is large enough to force it in the back end of the capillary filler. This allows quick flashing of whatever liquid is in the filler with water. Repeat until the water comes through clear.

Of course this will not take care of dried ink. For that you need to soak the pen (section/filler) for a while. Wait for few hours and flash again. Repeat, several times (could be 2-3 days) to take care of the dried ink. Everytime you repeat you will see the air bubles from the expelled air coming out of the nib and the back of the filler. When bubbles come out reasonably fast upon immersion then it is ok to try loading it with ink.

Had a 61 UK Flighter (c/c filler) & a Rainbow Cap 1st Edition 61 capilary filler

61 converter for Parker 61 (UK) c/c fillers:

-The UK aerometric converter is a tad longer in the nipple than its US counter-parts. This explains the air leaking and ink seeping.

-the aerometric converter has the same nipple diameter as a 45 aerometric converter and will fit but will not fit flush.

-this also implies that all the modern Parker converters will not fit well. Your best bet is to use a cartridge or converter a cartridge to a bulb filler (cut off the converter and attach a sac to the nipple part with shellac)

Cleaning a 61 capillary filler:

-If you have a pre-owned one, the chances of cleaning all previous ink will be a laborious process.

-try flushing as described, besides a bulb filler, consider a Monojet syringe which was sold on line or contact Lynn Brant for cheaper cost (so he once mentioned)

-also if you are adventurous, try blowing a filled 61 into a cup of clear water and see that your breath will force out the ink faster.

-if you are not adventurous, then fill the pen with water and stick the nib/section into a roll of toilet paper and let the paper take care of sucking up the ink from the pen. Repeat until you are satisfied with the output.

-finally you can continue to fill the pen with your favourite ink and allow the ink to dissolve all other inks over time.

-61 is not friendly to those of us who like to change ink as you can see. But it is a very very reliable and good pen IMO.

Edited by KCkc

-also if you are adventurous, try blowing a filled 61 into a cup of clear water and see that your breath will force out the ink faster.

That was my chosen method for cleaning out my new 61 along with letting it soak out into a tissue. Lots of hours and tissues later, it's now happily taking up ink and no more signs of getting out any more blue ink, although to start with it did feel like that pen contained half the world's supply of blue ink!

It's got a broader nib than I like, but I'll see how it gets on and if I'm not happy then I've got a fine nib in my old broken 61, so it might have a trip over to Peter Twydle to see about getting the nib exchanged.

I'm just sitting here quite happily because once again I've got a working 61 and this one is living up to expectations even more than my last one did.