Antique store find!

m13a8

I didn't buy them actually, I'm still debating it, I ended up with a few Parker 51s this weekend, but I may go and pick up the set. I think is worth all of 40 bucks. There also was another gf Wahl ringtop in the same case as the set.

Oh, okay. I guess it depends on how big of a pen budget you have then. :ph34r:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• m13a8

• jbb

• Write Again

• Shangas

Lately my budgets been pretty big, I need to settle down a little bit, the Chicago Pen Show is coming up and I'm going to be broke by then :( :(

The Wahl set has been in the antique shop for at least 4 years, so I dont see it going anywhere anytime soon.

Write Again

-Paul K

I think $40 for the set and box is a pretty good deal actually. If I were you, I would probably pick it up eventually.

I got a #3 set with the spoon style clips in the box for $50 a couple weeks back, which I think was a steal.

Lately my budgets been pretty big, I need to settle down a little bit, the Chicago Pen Show is coming up and I'm going to be broke by then :( :(

The Wahl set has been in the antique shop for at least 4 years, so I dont see it going anywhere anytime soon.

... big budget.... mmmmmm.... :cloud9: $40.00 is a decent price but since the set has been there a while might you make them an offer? The Wahl Ringtop is a very nice pen usually -- at least the ones I have are -- all good flex.

Edited by jbb

Yes, very true. Maybe next time I stop in that shop I'll make an offer for the set and the other ringtop.

Write Again

-Paul K

Just adding photos of another Wahl Ringtop

This one has a #0 nib.

Pen is very small

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_XpjXF6kqtEI/S4xX5HHHqgI/AAAAAAAAEJA/NvNcKI5t-PA/s1280/3-1-10%20042.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_XpjXF6kqtEI/S4xX5bcZFzI/AAAAAAAAEJE/680sNpMLdjA/s576/3-1-10%20043.JPG

AWN%252520ADD.jpg

This may, or may not help.. but could be Worth the attempt..

When making inquiry about a writing instrument, 'in the wild'.. I honestly note that to restore it to working condition there is additional cost $30 Up, And disassembly may reveal cracks that devalue the piece, require new nib/section, etc. And the restoration itself may cause pieces to crumble rendering the piece either valueless or at great cost to repair/restore.. sometimes this helps the owner to adjust the price to move his stock=win/win.

I also used an ear syringe to force water through the feed

For rinsing feeds of pens I am resacking, I used the rubber bulb from an eyedropper. They fit snugly over most section ends and I push the bulb down past the sac nipple. I immerse the section in water and just squeeze the bulb. It works nicely unless there is dried ink clogging the feed channels.

An improvement over the eyedropper bulb I found recently is, of all things, the round nipple of a pacifier! Not the flat style, but the long, rounded ones that look like the rubber bulbs from the old eyedroppers that were included with eyedropper filled pens. These nipples are stiffer than the modern eyedropper bulbs, larger so they push more air and water, and fit snugly over the section. I use an ear syringe when the sac nipple extends above the feed. Using the syringe when the feed is level with the sac nipple allows water squeezed from the syringe to spray all over.

International Flexographic Society

• 3 months later...

Good thread with a lot of information. Now I learned what I got is not a lady's pen.

I got one for a cheaper price (20 $ + shipping) but it is not in good condition as the one posted here. It has the same pattern (check?) but the section is not metal, the ring is missing, and with a lot of dings.

Does anyone know if the dark stuff in the engraving is dirt or rust? Can I get rid of it with tooth-brush?

Talking about the gender of a pen, I wonder if this Swan BHR ring-top (4 1/2)for ladies? It is longer. I bid on it too but didn't win. What is a fair price for this one in pretty good condition? I saw it being sold for about 70 $ in the forum before. Wahl and Swan, which one is more likely to be flexible, in general?

Edited by jszh