Review of Pilot M90 LE

ImolaS3

I too attempted to install my CON-50 into the M90 and the bottom barrel doesn't screw down completely. The converter is as far in as it can get.

Science is a way of skeptically interrogating the universe with a fine understanding of human fallibility.

-Carl Sagan

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.pnghttp://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/PostcardExchange_sm.pnghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4f_4pakI/AAAAAAAAA14/_d-MITGtqvY/s320/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markc

• ImolaS3

• Dan Carmell

• Yuki Onitsura

Well, didn't I get lucky then.

Here's the money shot (quick and dirty, sorry about the screen size):

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ssulman@ihug.com.au/images/M90-1.jpeg

As you can see, the barrel fits completely. And inside we find ...

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ssulman@ihug.com.au/images/M90-2.jpeg

Yes, it's a snug fit, but there it is.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

I'm afraid that most Japanese pens come in - how should we say? - less than impressive boxes. But then I just store my boxes and start writing with 'em.

I often just throw the box away and use the pen. I keep the boxes for expensive pens of course. the point is that the packaging is often a good indication of the attention to detail and quality of the whole product

Please visit my new pen and ink/pen box site at www.boxesandpens.co.uk

Hand made boxes to store and display your favourite pens.

10% discount for FPN members

So, possibly I could get a 'better' (to my tastes) converter then? Some say it won't fit yet one posts a photo of it fitted which suggests I may or may not be lucky.

Anyone care to lend or sell me a CON-50?

Thanks

PS apologise if anyone thinks I was overly critical of the box and foam this pen came in. For a little over £100 I expect a lot better and am used to getting it from other brands :)

PPS using the pen today ad I do really like it.

Edited by ImolaS3

Has anyone tried the CON-50 on an MYU 701? I know the CON-20 fits but it doesn't look like it holds much ink. I've not received the converter yet, just the pen, so I'm not up on the Pilot converter stuff yet. It's my understanding the barrel on the M90 is a bit wider. Haven't seen the two pens side by side.

Marvin

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom, and that of all about me, seemed insufficient for the day." Abraham Lincoln

Has anyone tried the CON-50 on an MYU 701? I know the CON-20 fits but it doesn't look like it holds much ink. I've not received the converter yet, just the pen, so I'm not up on the Pilot converter stuff yet. It's my understanding the barrel on the M90 is a bit wider. Haven't seen the two pens side by side.

Marvin

Yes, I did try to fit a CON-50 into the 701, and it is too long, by about 1mm!

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ssulman@ihug.com.au/images/M90andMYU-701.jpeg

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

Marvin

Yes, I did try to fit a CON-50 into the 701, and it is too long, by about 1mm!

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ssulman@ihug.com.au/images/M90andMYU-701.jpeg

File down the top mm?

As no one offered a CON-50 for me to try, I ordered one for under a fiver and it should be here tomorrow. Hopefully no file work, but if necessary....

I'm afraid that most Japanese pens come in - how should we say? - less than impressive boxes. But then I just store my boxes and start writing with 'em.

That makes the pens more impressive. I do like my M90 - of course I had to get one! - but you are right, it is a bit dry. I had a nibmeister (Bert Heiserman) increase the flow a bit, so I hope it now is a bit wetter (haven't used it since then).

This pen grows on you and I will use it again soon!

Erick

It's a lovely pen. And the box? Lovely too, gets out of the way quickly to reveal the wonderful writing implement inside.

As for dryness, yes, it is. Then, I stuck an Iroshizuku ink in it, and it became perfect. Try it, they seem to be made for each other, the Iroshizuku and the M90.....

Wouldn't make much sense for an M90 to come with a CON-50. They don't fit.

Yuki

Hate to be contradictory here, but the CON-50 fits perfectly in the M90 (I'd take some pictures, but I'm just about to take my boys to the beach!).

It doesn't, however, fit in the 701, which is odd. The pens are the same length, but the feed in the M90 is seated further down the section to allow for the CON-50.

BTW: I have trouble with the the spring grip in the cap of the 701 - it keeps coming out, and no amount of 'encouragement' will keep it in place. Anyone else have that problem?

Here's a great link that explains why the springs come out. The piece above the barrel screws into the barrel and the cap. It's supposed to stay screwed into the barrel but sometimes when taking off the cap it sticks to the wrong side. I would love to figure out how to make it stay mounted on the barrel.

http://www.stutler.cc/pens/murex/index.html

Marvin

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom, and that of all about me, seemed insufficient for the day." Abraham Lincoln

Well, my CON-50 arrived yesterday and was fitted last night. No problems at all, perfect fit.

The people who are struggling are probably falling fowl of the following.

When I inserted the converter, 1mm or so of the plastic was still visible. I screwed down the top until it was fully seated agaisnt the nib section and upon removal the converter was fully inserted with no plastic visible.

The pen goes together perfectly and I am highly pleased.

• 1 month later...

Hmm.... The M90 LE seems very much like a pen for collectors rather than users,

ain't it? After all, what one is paying is a considerably large price for an

ordinary steel nib. Pilot's move to release this edition surely has been a great

success in marketing and allowed them to profit greatly. Further, this pen now

has a almost cult following. Reminds me of the Lamy 2000.

ordinary steel nib. Pilot's move to release this edition surely has been a great

Don't know about other owners, but I use all pof my pens and this is definitely a user. I see no reason to won a tool and not use it!! (whether pen or other)

I agree that it is vastly overpriced, but it is a rather beautiful pen and a pleasure to use.

Don't know about other owners, but I use all pof my pens and this is definitely a user. I see no reason to won a tool and not use it!! (whether pen or other)

I agree that it is vastly overpriced, but it is a rather beautiful pen and a pleasure to use.

Wow! Sometimes, when I get such situations, I overcome them by applying the technique of

buying a pair, and keeping one in the cupboard. I guess it's a little OCD-ish but oh well,

if the product were really that great, it would be worth it. After all, the LE might be

worth to sell of later on in future.... Kind of reminds me of the experience with Rhodia

paper. After some time, the paper was discontinued in Singapore. Thank god I have a stash

of them in my drawer. I cannot imagine that I have to search all over the web now if I

want a refill....

...(edit)...

BTW: I have trouble with the the spring grip in the cap of the 701 - it keeps coming out, and no amount of 'encouragement' will keep it in place. Anyone else have that problem?

Never. Have you tried a bit more 'encouragement' and then pushing it right up inside the cap so that it is touching the plastic inner cap?

Re original thread - I very much like the simple, yet well crafted, box. It's in keeping with the concept of an efficient pocket pen. The integral nib and section of these pens (and the 701s) is simply stunning.

Wow! Sometimes, when I get such situations, I overcome them by applying the technique of

buying a pair, and keeping one in the cupboard. I guess it's a little OCD-ish but oh well,

if the product were really that great, it would be worth it. After all, the LE might be

worth to sell of later on in future.... Kind of reminds me of the experience with Rhodia

paper. After some time, the paper was discontinued in Singapore. Thank god I have a stash

of them in my drawer. I cannot imagine that I have to search all over the web now if I

want a refill....

A bit overpriced, but isn't almost everything in the FP world marked up in some way? It is not just a LE pen, only good to be looked at. My M90 has been with me straight for almost 7 or 8 months, being my only go-to pen, it sees a lot of writing and hasn't failed me since. 150 is just about what you'd pay for the Myu 701, the original, anyways. It's nib is sure, it's "ordinary" steel, but it's smooth, and beautifully integrated into the lines of the pen, instead of having an abrupt transition from nib to barrel in most other pens. That is what I find beautiful, that it looks very much like a quill, but much sleeker and sturdier.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

• 1 year later...

want a refill....

A bit overpriced, but isn't almost everything in the FP world marked up in some way? It is not just a LE pen, only good to be looked at. My M90 has been with me straight for almost 7 or 8 months, being my only go-to pen, it sees a lot of writing and hasn't failed me since. 150 is just about what you'd pay for the Myu 701, the original, anyways. It's nib is sure, it's "ordinary" steel, but it's smooth, and beautifully integrated into the lines of the pen, instead of having an abrupt transition from nib to barrel in most other pens. That is what I find beautiful, that it looks very much like a quill, but much sleeker and sturdier.

Now I am going to search for this elegant pen. I find it very convenient and want to make it kind of like my

new daily use pen. As for the barrel size, my hands are not so large so it is fine for me!