It pays to get up in the morning

Brian Anderson

A few days ago I got notice there was going to be an estate sale this weekend. Well, actually, it started Thursday, but there was no way I could go. This was going to be part one of a two part sale, as there was just so much stuff, they couldn't pack it all into three days. My wife gave me the information, but warned me they over charged for everything. We have purchased items from this particular Estate dealer before, so she felt confident if I found anything it would be a ballpoint with a $15 price tag. By the looks of it, it was a very old estate, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

When I woke up this morning, I wasn't real keen on going, but I soon found out it was fifteen minutes closer than I expected, and since I happened to get up early anyway, I thought I'd go. I managed to get there about 9:30, about a half hour after it had opened.

I looked around, there wasn't much good stuff left, then I went to the upstairs portion of the sale. I found an Esterbrook desk pen in an incorrect marble base, but it had one of those brass day/date/month displays, and I thought it would look good on my desk at work. I'm always wondering what the date is anyway, so for $3.00 I grabbed it. Good sac on the otherwise common plain black desk pen, but a cracked section. I've got parts so that wasn't a big deal.

I went downstairs and waited in ine to check out. Then, there it was. On a table right by the cashier, a grey pen. Looked like a Sheaffer triumph, but I picked it up to take a closer look. Silver trim, Paladium nib, large three line imprint for the past president of a local realtor in 1961.

But wait...

No, It can't be...

what's that? A snorkle?? A PFM I??

Here's the real kicker, price tag? $1.00!!

Ok, so on any given day a PFM I for a buck is a darn good deal, even if it isn't working. But seeing how this was day three of a three day sale, prices were reduced. Any item under $25 was half off on Friday, then another half of on Saturday. So, for three days, nobody cared much for this pen for a buck, while I paid $.25 for it on the last day. All tolled with the desk pen, $1.05 with tax.

I bring it home. This thing is clean, looks like it was never used. I stick the snorkle in water, it sucks up the water fine. Spits it out fine too, but wait, no sign of ink! I tried it a couple more times, nothing but clear water came out.

I've always wanted a PFM, but never wanted to pay that kind of price for a non-esterbrook. I think I'll keep this one. :)

:bunny1:

Best-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian Anderson

• Keith with a capital K

• John

• Maja

Top Posters In This Topic

I must bow down and relinquish any thought that I might even be in the same league as anyone who could snag a PFM for a quarter.

I am not worthy.

Edited by Keith with a capital K

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

man, I thought I was doing well when I snagged two Parker 51s for $35 yestaerday!

Ther are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't

I don't even remember the last time I got a pen this cheap. And to find one nearly mint and working and of this caliber makes me twitch just thinking about it. I'd say it was about time though, for all the junk I've seen over the past years, it's been a long time since I've been this lucky.

:)

Best-

Brian

I figure I've tormented a few people over the years with some of the finds I've made but a PFM for a quarter is even a better find than my minty Waterman 511 that I snagged for $2.60.

I am hoping that some of your luck will rub off on me if I should manage to get out on a little safari this afternoon.

Cheers!

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

Keith-

How funny I happened to snag a nice copper UK esterbrook today for 60 times the price of the PFM. :)

Ok, put your hand on your monitor right now. Got it? Ok now, you're set, go out and snag something today.

:)

Off to finally get something accomplished today, although this is too much fun. Perhaps I'll try out the new bottle of PR burgundy mist on that PFM. Mmmmmm..

Best-

Brian

That's just absolutely ridiculous! However, I couldn't think of a more deserving fellow than you, Brian. Your generosity and patience in sharing your Esterbrook expertise is to be commended.

Enjoy your pen!

Isn't there a law against this kind of things? :blink:

WOW.  And you sniped that English solid J yesterday... 

Can I come with you next time...  :D

Antonios-

You can come hunt with me in Chicago in a couple months if you want to. :)

I saw your solid green and just had to have one. :) I wonder what colors this particular model was available, So far I've seen dark navy blue in CH and LJ models, red and dark green in LJ and grey in a J demo. Have any others? I would imagine all five colors (other than black would be available, but have never seen copper. I love those English Esties.

Oh, and by the way, there is such a law, it's called the law of sumgai. ;)

Best-

Brian

http://www.esterbrook.net/funpics/pfm1.jpg

Here's a crude scan of my new PFM. The big imprint is somewhat of a detractant, but for the price, I can deal with it. :)

Best-

Brian

:o You can't be serious.

Congrats on your success! As Daniel said, well deserved!

"I had not the time to write a short one."

-Blaise Pascal