Favourite mechanical pencil

Highbinder

I've been mulling over getting a 'nice one' to go with my fountain pens. At the moment I have a couple but I find the lead size too fine for my liking (.5mm and .7mm) so I'd try something a bit thicker. I want to avoid a pen that has the pointy tip;

http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/pc_lead-sleeves.jpg

as it catchs in my pocket and just causes a general nuisance so I'd rather have a concical sleeve.

I was thinking of a Lamy 2000 until I realised their Taxus finish isn't available for their MPs and they only do .5mm and .7mm sizings! I like the Faber-Castell e-motion 1.4mm lead sizing but not the shape.

What does everyone use? Anyone prefer vintage pencils? What should I get ~50$ ?

Edited by Highbinder

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• impossiblebird

• Bo Bo Olson

• Highbinder

• BrianL

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like Faber-Castell's triangular Grip 2011 (and 2B leads), but with a 0.7 mm lead size, it's probably too fine for your taste. Funny, I never thought of 0.7 mm as particularly fine...

rOtring Tikky II

I don't know why but I really like it, it's a cheapy but it feels much better in my hand than any other (Tikky I or Tikky III or others, Faber Castell, Lamy Safari...) pen I tried!

Edited by Edgar Allan Bo

Well, it does use 0.5mm lead (which I happen to like), so that may rule it out for you, but I've carried a Faber Castell "Twice" multifuntion pencil/ballpoint regularly for at least five years. It has a broad conical tip and the really slender pencil tube does not stick out unless you are actually using it. With a Monteverde Soft Roll ballpoint refill, it writes smoothly as a ballpoint, too. The barrel is a nice size, the grip area is "grippy", and the upper part of the barrel is available in chrome or wood - light maple, brown pearwood, or my favorite, black pearwood. Here's a link to pix of all the varieties (I have no experience with this vendor, it is just a handy link with all varieties on one page):

http://www.redfingerprint.com/Faber_Castell/Faber_Castell_Multifunction

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

0,7 lead size Easy twist by pentel. It's kinda cheap but it is the only pencil I have been willing to use for years, before fountain pens the only writing instrument that I would use :D

Time goes by fast, and never can be given back

Well I only use fountain pens on a daily basis but the one mechanical pencil that I really liked was a Parker "51" pencil with .9 size lead. It writes really wonderfully. I'm sure they can be found inexpensively on the internet.

-Nate

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught."

-Oscar Wilde

When I reach for a pencil, I usually reach for a wood case pecil. That is simply a personal preference. I like and use vintage pencils because they have larger 0.9 to 1.1mm leads. I find those larger leads to be smooth and a nice alternative to a FP. I have several Parker Duofold Senior pencils from the 1920's, and a few Sheaffer Balance pencils from the 1930's, among others. For larger leads, I think vintage is a good way to go.

For recent or current production MP's, like the Parker Duofolds again. But they mostly have the thin leads. If you are lucky enough to snag a first year (1989) Duofold remake, they have a classic twist mechanism and a 0.9mm lead. Graf von Faber-Castell has the E-Motion pencil that has a very large lead, though at the moment I cannot remember if it is 1.3 or 1.5mm. I like the E-Motion, but I find it is not as versatile as some of the slightly smaller leads.

I like my Pelikan 350 and 450 that I got to match vintage pens. The leads are 1.18 mm. Depending on condition, they may fall into your price limit.

Esterbrook made a rather dashing mechanical push pencil after WWII. I have a green Estie pencil; uses 0.045 leads. It's my favourite.

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab132/smucker8/EstieMPPgrn-1.jpg

-- cuza

Edited by cuza

Thanks for asking this question! I found a couple of pencils I didn't know existed, including the Pilot Vanishing Point H1005, which won't interest you for the purposes of this question, because it (unsurprisingly) only seems to come in a 0.5mm lead.

1.4mm or so lead doesn't seem to be that common, and I haven't got round to buying anything in that size as yet; I had been intending to buy myself a Staedtler 771 1.3mm Learners Mechanical Pencil; for under £5 it's chunky and triangular, with a rubber grip and the classic yellow-and-black "Noris" livery. It's been built for an easy grip, but it's not a "kiddie" pencil, like the Lamy ABC 1.4mm. But then I saw:

The Faber Castell twist pencil, which is basically a cigar shape like the e-motion, but with three long scallops taken out to make an elongated triangular grip, with the rubber coating covering the middle 70% or so of the pencil's length. It's done up to match their very enjoyable school fountain pens, in a choice of 4 colours. So that's me sorted...

More sensible looking pencils:

The Faber-Castell Grip Plus Pencil 1.4mm has a softened triangular rubber grip, retractable lead sleeve, and big rubber. Retail about £6. (Apparently, there's a Penol Jumbo 1.3mm pencil that's very similar)

Staedtler also make a less chunky 1.3mm pencil, the Staedtler graphite 760, again triangular in shape with a rubber grip, for about £6.

See http://davesmechanicalpencils.blogspot.com/search?q=1.3mm for reviews and here http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Staedtler-graphite-760-Pencil.html for the second Staedtler.

Are you sure a 0.9mm lead wouldn't suit? I find it feels substantially more robust than 0.7mm. (It should, it's got a sectional area almost twice that of the 0.7mm, by my reckoning).

I DO have a Pentel GraphGear 0.9mm; it's pocket friendly, as the sleeve retracts and the "snout" is quite broad. All metal; well balanced; grip has a fine diamond cut surface with small elliptical rubber inserts. Press the top button once to engage the lead sleeve, than again to advance the lead. To retract the sleeve, you press the top of the big pocket/document clip, which claims to grip 15 pages. It's £15-ish, and I like it a lot.

Other than that in a 0.9 I'd consider a Staedtler Mars Micro 775 Pencil: rubber grip, retactable lead sleeve and conical nose. Under £5.

Or a Tombow Cool, which I just spotted here http://davesmechanicalpencils.blogspot.com/search?q=0.9mm+pencil a little way down the page: conical nose and fully retactable sleeve; 0.9mm lead; softened triangular shape to the body which becomes more round towards the nose; looks nice.

I'm a cheap date when it comes to mechanical pencils. My Pilot Dr. Grip LTD in ice blue gets the most use. More so than my more expensive MP's like my Lamy 2000 and Rotring 600.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Wow some good posts so far. Googling some of the models have returned interesting results :D I'd probably take a .7 at a push, .9 is more to my liking though. Would agree the 1.4 in the e-motion is huge! I don't even have a pen that lays a line that thick

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

Highbinder,

I don't have any specific recommendations. I have a few vintage Autopoints, a Fineline, and a Sharp Kerry(modern). But, I follow this blog on Mechanical Pencils (http://davesmechanicalpencils.blogspot.com/). I find it a fun read, the photos are good, and he covers a few vintage pencils as well. Good luck pencil hunting........

Phil

The best is the Keuffel & Esser Autopoints made in the 60s and 70s or their 2mm lead holder made up until 2000.

I haven't made an extensive survey of mechanical pencils, but I do prefer 0.9mm lead. Anything smaller tends to break too easily.

I have a Pentel 0.9 "Twist Erase" that I like. This model has a bit of weight to it, which I like.

0.9mm is also not unusual for drafting pencils. I also have a Alvin Draft/Matic DM09.

I exclusivley use the KOH-I-NOOR HARDTMUTH Versatil (modern) Leadholders 2-2.5mm and their vintage adequates.

They are made completely from metal, are nevertheless light, have a lead sharpener and hold a lifetime. Modern ones are available in different styles and colors.