twsbi vacuum filling system fountain pen project

speedy

I don't yet own a TWSBI, but I have seen some impressive pictures of the pen, the body looks very well manufactured! I don't see myself buying one if they continue to have rigid steel nibs with the same ol' EF, F, and M tips. Will there be any more interesting nibs for the 700s? Will it be possible to buy a pen with a different size nib (at least) installed, rather than buying a whole pen, and then a new nib on top of it? What Nathan Tardif is doing at Noodler's Ink with his flex nibs, music nibs, etc. shows that, like with the TWSBI's pen body, a very effective and quality product can be produced and sold for a reasonable retail price. Speedy, maybe you and Nathan could work together to produce a special TWSBI flex nib? :eureka:

Ooh... I like the idea of a Nathan/Speedy collaboration. Maybe there will be a rippled green ebonite 700 in our future? (hint hint)

Wish-list: Parker 51 India Black Vacumatic. Green Parker Vacumatic Maxima. Visconti Homo Sapien. Aurora Optima and Vintage 88. Lamy 27. Sheaffer Pen For Men V. Moss-Agate Waterman Patrician, Pelikan Souverän M450. I just need to win the lottery now.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• speedy

• watch_art

• jniforat

• riff raff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The nib actually has a bit of flex to it, surprisingly. It does take quite a bit of effort to get it to flex though. I've seen some custom mods, where people have ground the shoulders of the nib back, to allow for greater flex.

Can't wait for the Vac-fill...Hopefully it'll come out just in time for end-of-year exam preparation. It might inspire me to study harder... :roflmho:

I don't see myself buying one if they continue to have rigid steel nibs with the same ol' EF, F, and M tips.

Same here - I wish for a stub / italic / calligraphy. Or at least a B / BB.

I don't like my handwriting with a "boring" EF / F...

Greetings,

Michael

the vac700 is a bigger pen, and big pens don't fit all hands. some just like piston fillers better than vacs. it's just a matter of taste. it's like saying "why do people buy the m600, if the m800 holds more ink and looks almost the same?".

Ah ok, I thought they were exactly the same shape pen, just different filling systems, so was just wondering what the advantages were of pistons over vacs. I thought maybe there was some reliability, weight distribution or other pros and cons for one or the other system.

I guess what I'm asking is if we assumed they were the same shape, size & price what would be the pros & cons?

Cheers,

EF

in that case, it would be purely about preference of filling systems. personnally, i would buy the vac for the ink capacity, and for the kind of tribute to sheaffer's vac-fill it is. but i've heard many times on this forum of people who like to change of ink color regulary, so they use a piston filler and fill it only part way up to have the opportunity of changing the ink more often. the vac is also a simpler desigh which lacks screws and parts that rub together while moving, and it doesn't need any kind of lubrication, so it's more durable.

Edited by ticoun

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

I don't see myself buying one if they continue to have rigid steel nibs with the same ol' EF, F, and M tips.

Same here - I wish for a stub / italic / calligraphy. Or at least a B / BB.

I don't like my handwriting with a "boring" EF / F...

+1 for stub/italic :thumbup:

I'm planning on attending the DC Supershow this year for the unveiling of the new TWSBI Vac 700.

Reading the TWSBI Facebook page, I notice that Speedy suggests ~1 month ETA for the Diamond 540 and ink bottle and a few months for the Vac 700... can't wait!

Wait, is the Diamond 540 the version with the aluminum mechanism for which speedy asked us to select a color scheme a few months ago, calling it the Diamond 550? Or is it an update of the Diamond 530 of which I was not aware?

Just bought a Diamond 530, hoping I didn't choose the wrong moment to buy... :gaah:

Cnulhu-

I believe the 540 is just an update on the 530. New clip (which I really like) and more travel in the piston. The 550 would be the aluminium colored ones with the new updates included.

I could very easily be wrong though.

cheers,

rj

Edited by usqview

usqview -

No, you've got it right, I just found the thread for it. Oh, man, I would have liked those features too... Just my luck.

Thanks anyway!

Cnulhu-

I bet you could find a use for a second one. :)

I think the 540 will include a $10 bump in price too. Still sounds like a fantastic deal to me. I have actually been holding out for the 540 due to the solid clip design even though I haven't read a single complaint about the 530 clip.

The 700 is a whole different reason to get another TWSBI. I am eagerly awaiting that one too.

Cheers,

rj

Yeah, I thought about it and decided I was thinking about this wrong: regardless of how much better new models become, this will still be the "original series" TWSBI. And if there really is a price bump as you say, the 530 is still very much worth it. There will always be opportunity to buy more pens sooner or later. Most often sooner. :-P

Edited by Cnulhu