The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Fictitious letter mailing list

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 ZeissIkon

ZeissIkon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:45

Denny Trout here -- only one inhabited planet within a reasonable distance of our portal (which orbits Earth's moon, don't ask me about the physics), so perfectly ordinary Earth planetary addressing convention is all that's needed beyond the portal number -- Portal 13 (that's binary 1101, for those of you with different numbers of fingers). Well, okay, there's actually a tiny station on Luna itself, but they get stuff via APO addresses in the USPS. I'll supply my mailing address once we determine who'll be writing to me.
Does not always write loving messages.
Does not always foot up columns correctly.
Does not always sign big checks.

Sponsored Content

#22 ladyambrosia

ladyambrosia

Vintage 1776

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:18

I have always liked Rodney Mckay... I am not that schooled on Stargate though.. heh it was one of those shows I watched when I couldnt find anything else :embarrassed_smile:
Ambrosia's Ink Rack Ink Reviews & More

Coming Soon Noteably yours Evansville area stationer.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 Yuki Onitsura

Yuki Onitsura

I ink, therefore I am

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:46

I have always liked Rodney Mckay... I am not that schooled on Stargate though.. heh it was one of those shows I watched when I couldnt find anything else :embarrassed_smile:

Oh, I only recently got into after my friend kept bugging me to watch it. Went through all of SG-1 and Atlantis in a matter of months. needless to say, I'm hooked.

Yuki
Posted Image
Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

#24 Kathelyne

Kathelyne

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:58

Today I wrote a leter to Rodney Mckay, will post it tomorrow! It was interesting trying to think from Seannya's perspective but it was fun to do! If someone would like to write a first leter to me I'd love one from anyone!

#25 ladyambrosia

ladyambrosia

Vintage 1776

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:02

I may have to think about a personality just for Mr. Mckay to write to ;) I can not possible get into Mrs. Rose Jeffersons head on that one. hehehe

Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 Kathelyne

Kathelyne

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:10

I may have to think about a personality just for Mr. Mckay to write to ;) I can not possible get into Mrs. Rose Jeffersons head on that one. hehehe

Hehe, well the briliant thing is that I don't know who Rodney McKay is, so I wasn't pre-empting myself with comparasons,I just wrote what I think Seannya would have been thinking. Now, if he writes back and Seannya answers, there the fun might begin.

#27 ladyambrosia

ladyambrosia

Vintage 1776

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:16

Sounds like fun to me. :D but this whole thing sounds like fun to me. :roflmho: Me I know who Rodney is..him and his nuerotic cuteself :roflmho:

Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 Kathelyne

Kathelyne

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 23:43

And to update again!

PERSONA LIST

Kathelyne: Seannya los di’Nona
World: Going with sci-fi here. Seannya belongs to a people who are technologically advanced, they have space travel, everything is electronic (ie until now paper was an antique that no one used, even artwork is on electric screens) but people still have a strong connection to nature through their link to their home world. Seannya’s culture also has some lovely old fashioned traditions such as days in, calling cards etc that I really love. A bit of a blend of futuristic sci-fi and old fashioned Mr Darcy charm or something I guess, and all out of my own head with a dash of borrowed stuff here and there.

The address is:
sector 4
Area 9
Planet 4
Portal 7
Village of Nona
Family of Los
To Seannya

OR
4.9.4.7 Nona Los Seannya (you can write this on one line or individual lines)

ladyambrosia: Mrs. Rose Jefferson
World ect: A slightly alternative history to the real thing. My year is 1784 and after, Mr. Jeffersons first wife would have passed, proper mourning and than a meeting of the new Lady (cant give it all away here *wink*)The world is a new place in theory as it was back than, a country has shaken free of its "Mother" and there is a treaty being drawn up. While there is an air of unrest in the very city (Paris) the treaty is being done up in..

Yuki Onitsura : Rodney McKay
Stargate Universe

carlc: not decided
Wants to join in someone elses universe.

CarolinaWriter: name to come
Universe undecided.

ZeissIkon: Denny Trout, alias "Ghost"
a S.H.I.E.L.D. operative-in-training in a world very much like the Marvel Universe of the early 21st century. Young fellow who was recruited from high school because he can do things "normals" can't, and the things he can do are at least potentially useful (once they drum some discipline into him) in the agency's work of protecting the Homeland. At the time the portal-mail service is opened, he's in the late stages of training and goes on occasional missions (evaluated as "low risk").

orangos Icon: Simeon Turhey
The nominal head of security on a small orbital station at the very edge of human space. He uses his position to collect knowledge, news and rumours from places he will never see for himself. In this way he has become an amateur scholar and is, at heart, a collector. He fancies himself a member of the 'republic of letters' and would love to correspond with anyone of a similar leaning, no matter what their species.

physicsgirl: Miss Isabella Almira Lenora Tarabotti.
An alternate Victorian England where the creatures of the night are known, and accepted.
7.8.3.4 Miss Isabella Almira Lenora Tarabotti.

Edited by Kathelyne, 07 February 2010 - 23:44.

#29 Kathelyne

Kathelyne

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 00:24

Alright, I should hopefully have time to write another letter today, who would like one from me?

#30 CarolinaWriter

CarolinaWriter

#amwriting

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:44

Allow me to introduce Grace Tyler Austin. She is a highly successful science fiction novelist who lives on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. She loves the isolation of her coastal home as she is extremely shy and reclusive. Hand-written letters are her way of communicating with the outside world. Grace loves to write letters, and is very good at it...so much so that she was selected as one of the first to be able to utilize the portal mailbox system on Earth. She was a part of the effort that eventually changed Earth's system from one reserved only for the privileged few to one that offered free access to all, with strictly enforced privacy laws. Also, due to her influence (and offer to pay for it), a local portal was installed near her island home. This portal connects to Earth's main portal system.

She is currently working on her next novel, and between long writing sessions, she writes letters. Grace answers all letters received. She even responds to her fans so long as they handwrite their letters on paper and send them through the mail - either traditional ground mail or portal mail.

Letterwriting is not her only "old fashioned" trait. Along with always writing her first drafts by hand, Grace drinks Earl Grey tea, cooks her meals from scratch, never makes phone calls before 10:00 AM or after 5:00 PM, always sends thank you notes, and pays her bills with a check and mails them. Her lifestyle is very far from the high-tech science fiction worlds she creates in her novels. They are thoroughly researched and highly detailed. Her many fans line up for days to get her books. Rather than the current trend of releasing the electronic version of books forst , then printing in paper, her contract stipulates that her books are published on paper, then later made available in electronic version.

Grace welcomes all correspondents. Her address is Grace Tyler Austin, Hatteras Island Portal...and the rest of Earth's Portal Address for the US.

Sector 1
Area 1
Planet 3
Portal 5 - Hatteras Island
Grace Tyler Austin

or 1.1.3.5:Hatteras; Grace Tyler Austin

How's this?
Connie

I blog...
HouseWife with a Day Job

#31 ladyambrosia

ladyambrosia

Vintage 1776

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:32

I shall happily welcome a letter from you Ms.Seannya los di’Nona or anyone else ;)

Posted ImagePosted Image

#32 Kathelyne

Kathelyne

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:00

CarolinaWriter: thats great! I'll edit your persona details into the list tonight.

I shall happily welcome a letter from you Ms.Seannya los di’Nona or anyone else ;)

I would love to write to you! However I need to use these last moments of daylight to mark the hem on a dress (its prooving a lot of trouble but will be so worth it...) so I doubt I'll make the 6pm collection this evening. If, however, I get the chance to write tonight I should make tomorrow's collection.

#33 ladyambrosia

ladyambrosia

Vintage 1776

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:05

CarolinaWriter: thats great! I'll edit your persona details into the list tonight.

I would love to write to you! However I need to use these last moments of daylight to mark the hem on a dress (its prooving a lot of trouble but will be so worth it...) so I doubt I'll make the 6pm collection this evening. If, however, I get the chance to write tonight I should make tomorrow's collection.

No rush at all. Dress work always comes first as a Historical Costumer I know that all to well :)

Posted ImagePosted Image

#34 Kathelyne

Kathelyne

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:50

No rush at all. Dress work always comes first as a Historical Costumer I know that all to well :)

:D This dress is for my reenactment group and shall be a stunning blue and gold 1480 gown.... and I never want to see that hem again! This must be my punishment for drafting the sleeves first go (unheard of for me), so far I have had 5 attempts at this hem! This is the first time I have done a hem that wasn't even all the way around, I am a pro at those now. But getting this thing to look like anything other than a little tube of fabric dragging along behind me.... I think I know what I need to do, but will leave it till another day, I have till July to get it done.

#35 Kathelyne

Kathelyne

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:57

So, an updated list!

If I've left anyone or anything off then please let me know!

PERSONA LIST

Kathelyne: Seannya los di’Nona
World: Going with sci-fi here. Seannya belongs to a people who are technologically advanced, they have space travel, everything is electronic (ie until now paper was an antique that no one used, even artwork is on electric screens) but people still have a strong connection to nature through their link to their home world. Seannya’s culture also has some lovely old fashioned traditions such as days in, calling cards etc that I really love. A bit of a blend of futuristic sci-fi and old fashioned Mr Darcy charm or something I guess, and all out of my own head with a dash of borrowed stuff here and there.

The address is:
sector 4
Area 9
Planet 4
Portal 7
Nona
Los
Seannya

OR
4.9.4.7 Nona Los Seannya (you can write this on one line or individual lines)

ladyambrosia: Mrs. Rose Jefferson
World ect: A slightly alternative history to the real thing. My year is 1784 and after, Mr. Jeffersons first wife would have passed, proper mourning and than a meeting of the new Lady (cant give it all away here *wink*)The world is a new place in theory as it was back than, a country has shaken free of its "Mother" and there is a treaty being drawn up. While there is an air of unrest in the very city (Paris) the treaty is being done up in..

Yuki Onitsura : Rodney McKay
Stargate Universe

carlc: not decided
Wants to join in someone elses universe.

CarolinaWriter: name to come
Universe undecided.

ZeissIkon: Denny Trout, alias "Ghost"
a S.H.I.E.L.D. operative-in-training in a world very much like the Marvel Universe of the early 21st century. Young fellow who was recruited from high school because he can do things "normals" can't, and the things he can do are at least potentially useful (once they drum some discipline into him) in the agency's work of protecting the Homeland. At the time the portal-mail service is opened, he's in the late stages of training and goes on occasional missions (evaluated as "low risk").

orangos Icon: Simeon Turhey
The nominal head of security on a small orbital station at the very edge of human space. He uses his position to collect knowledge, news and rumours from places he will never see for himself. In this way he has become an amateur scholar and is, at heart, a collector. He fancies himself a member of the 'republic of letters' and would love to correspond with anyone of a similar leaning, no matter what their species.

physicsgirl: Miss Isabella Almira Lenora Tarabotti.
An alternate Victorian England where the creatures of the night are known, and accepted.
7.8.3.4 Miss Isabella Almira Lenora Tarabotti.

CarolinaWriter: Grace Tyler Austin
llow me to introduce Grace Tyler Austin. She is a highly successful science fiction novelist who lives on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. She loves the isolation of her coastal home as she is extremely shy and reclusive. Hand-written letters are her way of communicating with the outside world. Grace loves to write letters, and is very good at it...so much so that she was selected as one of the first to be able to utilize the portal mailbox system on Earth. She was a part of the effort that eventually changed Earth's system from one reserved only for the privileged few to one that offered free access to all, with strictly enforced privacy laws. Also, due to her influence (and offer to pay for it), a local portal was installed near her island home. This portal connects to Earth's main portal system.

She is currently working on her next novel, and between long writing sessions, she writes letters. Grace answers all letters received. She even responds to her fans so long as they handwrite their letters on paper and send them through the mail - either traditional ground mail or portal mail.

Letterwriting is not her only "old fashioned" trait. Along with always writing her first drafts by hand, Grace drinks Earl Grey tea, cooks her meals from scratch, never makes phone calls before 10:00 AM or after 5:00 PM, always sends thank you notes, and pays her bills with a check and mails them. Her lifestyle is very far from the high-tech science fiction worlds she creates in her novels. They are thoroughly researched and highly detailed. Her many fans line up for days to get her books. Rather than the current trend of releasing the electronic version of books forst , then printing in paper, her contract stipulates that her books are published on paper, then later made available in electronic version.

Grace welcomes all correspondents. Her address is Grace Tyler Austin, Hatteras Island Portal...and the rest of Earth's Portal Address for the US.

Sector 1
Area 1
Planet 3
Portal 5 - Hatteras Island
Grace Tyler Austin

or 1.1.3.5:Hatteras; Grace Tyler Austin

#36 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2010 - 18:16

This sounds cool. You can put me down and I'll think something up - I'm thinking of using the Firefly universe, since I can totally see someone on one of the outer worlds using a fountain pen and sending correspondence via the rare passing ship.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

OMAS Italia '90 - Aurora Blue // Montblanc 14 - Visconti Purple

#37 physicsgirl

physicsgirl

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2010 - 20:51

This sounds cool. You can put me down and I'll think something up - I'm thinking of using the Firefly universe, since I can totally see someone on one of the outer worlds using a fountain pen and sending correspondence via the rare passing ship.

:roflmho: I was thinking of a FIrefly universe character too.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#38 CarolinaWriter

CarolinaWriter

#amwriting

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:32

Posted Image This dress is for my reenactment group and shall be a stunning blue and gold 1480 gown.... and I never want to see that hem again! This must be my punishment for drafting the sleeves first go (unheard of for me), so far I have had 5 attempts at this hem! This is the first time I have done a hem that wasn't even all the way around, I am a pro at those now. But getting this thing to look like anything other than a little tube of fabric dragging along behind me.... I think I know what I need to do, but will leave it till another day, I have till July to get it done.

Sounds nice - will you share photos of the finished piece?
Connie

I blog...
HouseWife with a Day Job

#39 Kaustic

Kaustic

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2010 - 19:12

I am also interested. Universe and character description pending, but I will try to get something to you soon. This is a fantastic idea!!
"When your favorite cup breaks, remember it is only a cup." - Epictetus: Enchiridion"

#40 Keeran

Keeran

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:45

I'd love to join in as well, but unfortunately homework is calling me..... I'll think up a persona soon! :P

Sponsored Content

|